Reviews for A Lesson in Fantasy
jseah chapter 1 . 11/20/2017
This was funny!

was my first impression. Excellent work setting up a comedic tone from the beginning, it shows in your word choice and sentence structure at the start before the explanations begin.

There isn't really enough length to have proper characterization or plot development, we do see that Silas has certain expectations/hopes when he came into the program, but why the explanation causes him to cry, we don't know. Though something like this isn't required for what is essentially a comedy short, of course.
If you were wanting to have it be tears of frustration for us to laugh at, then it's perhaps not clear enough.

Obligatory commentary over...

The bits about computer programming is quite true however. Most consistent magical systems that are complex enough to support conditional spells are able to support some level of abstraction.
J.M.Colban chapter 1 . 11/14/2017
Hilarious! Good job here buddy. Identifies and pokes fun at a wide range of sci-fi and fantasy tropes. Would love to read a novella perhaps along the same lines? I think the idea of an agency that explores different fantasy worlds is a great core idea for a set of comedic stories. Keep up the good work!
readingchameleon chapter 1 . 11/14/2017
This is a really cool and original tale on a magic system! Is there likely to be any more?