Reviews for Beer, Spaghetti, and Pharmaceuticals
like-endless-rain chapter 2 . 12/7
I can't wait to see where you take this story! The characters seem interesting and obviously have a very complex backstory that I'm excited to find out more about. I'm really interested in Isaac's motivations - why was he so mean to Alice in high school and what does he want from her now? I'm hoping to see Alice develop into a stronger, more assertive person as the story progresses: we caught a glimpse of it during her interactions with Isaac, and it was great! Looking forward to your next update!
Anita Rosemary chapter 1 . 12/7
I love this! And it's usually harder to get me hooked :)
Un-phased is actually unfazed. Just thought I'd point it out.
So far it's really good, although I fear that Alice will turn into the kind of girl who obeys Isaac's every word as if he's a god, or the type of girl who's so beautiful but won't believe it unless he tells her. That happens to the more headstrong girls in fiction, and it really disappoints me. Promise me you won't do that to Alice!
You do a fine job with the characters. It's a pain to see that so many bright kids can't afford education. Scholarships are limited. But did Alice not get one? Or did the university simply not offer them?
You might want to focus a little more on settings and descriptions. I'm glad you don't go the describe-myself-in-the-mirror route. Don't try to dramatize your settings too much (although that's my personal opinion), but give a description that isn't too bland. Try weaving it in with actions?