Reviews for Nobody Can Save Me
AllTheShips1717 chapter 2 . 6/17
Frankly, this reminds me way too much of my middle school life and of my high school life. When I was in middle school, those were safely the worst years of my life. There, I was so anti-social and awkward, that I was unable to make friends, and even got bullied for a time. Luckily, I eventually found friends, but we split up after middle school (I mean, I still talk to them, but not much) and in high school, it's the opposite, I put on a mask and acted outgoing to fit more needs, which was exhausting as hell. Because of it, I made more friends, but there was this layer between us, a mask that separated me from my "friends" that made me less close to them than the ones who I made without the mask. And it's strange when you see old friends again. After years, once you catch up with friends you've lost contact with, it's strange and awkward, and something like this.

With isolation, it's a strange one. I, despite who I am, wouldn't be able to handle going away forever, not because lingering attachments, but because of loneliness, but that's for another chapter, as you do talk about it again later.
AllTheShips1717 chapter 1 . 6/17
I think there is something interesting about people who beg for money in the streets and how people pass them. I personally don't see too many homeless people, mostly because I tend to travel in less urban places, but whenever I see them, I always feel bad if I don't have any money on me, and I think it's interesting to see people pass them and ignore them. Many people who pass by can easily afford to spare a bit of change to help someone out, yet people choose not to. In a way, there's something cold about the way this era passes by those suffering without a second glance, but I think the internet may play a role in that. Don't get me wrong, I love the internet, but because of it, we are more used to seeing suffering and darkness around us, making it so we are less affected by it when actually forced to confront it.

I have nothing really to say about the one-night stand or the scene at the end, so I'll leave it at that.
FoldedHands chapter 4 . 3/6
Ahh...that's a shame about her sister. Aether doesn't have much of a connection with her either, but she seems like the only one worth considering when it comes to how Aether leaving will hurt other people. Especially since she's still a kid and will be losing her big sister.
FoldedHands chapter 3 . 2/22
It's bizarre that the space administration is deciding to create a colony on an asteroid that will be passing Earth briefly before being completely out of reach for two decades, when their attempted colony on the Moon failed. It's kind of like failing at building a shed but then going ahead with an attempt to build a house. Kind of a suicidal plan on the part of the people going, too.

I can kind of see where Aether's logic is coming from...Earth is the hub of humanity, so if you are sick of humanity then flee to the stars. But at the same time, she won't have the freedom to shed her humanity on this asteroid because she's going to be crammed into a small space with hundreds of other people all working together to create a sustainable colony. She's going to be forced into human contact more than ever.
FoldedHands chapter 2 . 2/15
The story keeps referring to Sammy and Chloe as Aether's friends, but it certainly doesn't feel like she actually considers them friends. Sammy sounds like someone she always just put up with because she didn't know what else to do with her, and Chloe sounds like someone that she was forced into close proximity with but doesn't actually like. I'm not sure if Aether is just lying to herself about considering those two her friends or what. Whatever she was like in the past, in definitely doesn't seem like she's capable of connecting with people like that in the present.

I'm not sure what to make of the story yet. The protagonist is pretty empty inside, which makes it hard to relate to her (at least for me). One thing that keeps me interested in spite of that is finding out what's occurred in her life to bring her to this point. Deciding to abandon Earth to live on an asteroid (and I don't yet know what the plan there is yet, but just the concept doesn't sound like it would sustain life for very long) is pretty extreme. I'm also puzzled about how she's managed to become part of this program. I'm guessing that whatever Mr. Lee is doing for her, it isn't strictly legal.

On a more technical side of things, your word choice and sentence structure so far is very good. I'm not practiced enough at analyzing sentences to give more specific feedback, but the tone of the writing fits the situation well and when figurative speech is used it's sparingly enough that it doesn't feel excessively poetic.

I'll keep on reading and keep letting you know what I think!
SapphireStargazer chapter 1 . 2/6
ahhh why doesn't this have any reviews yet?

I've only read the first chapter so far, but I am impressed, intrigued and itching for more time to be able to read the rest. I promise to leave an actually constructive review once I've gotten a little further into it.