Reviews for Paint By Numbers
YasuRan chapter 17 . 7/15/2018
Overall, I enjoyed the parallels your story had with what's going on in the current political climate. It feels like an alternate history and does well to illustrate the flaws behind the discrimination by eye and hair color. I also appreciated that each member of the resistance had a different background, which highlighted the significance of their union as a team.

However, except for Jasper, I felt that Second, Tequila and Xavier weren't fleshed out well as characters. They each resembled a particular archetype which is common in most media (specifically The Token, The Chick and The Scientist respectively). I didn't connect to them as much as I did with Jasper. But then again, the latter is the narrator so I get that perspective might be limited.

I did like the poignancy of the ending in which Jasper and Tequila visit his mother's grave. It's a nice call-out to his past and the story ends on a hopeful note, despite the tragedy of Second's death.
Vicki Lawson chapter 1 . 7/7/2018
Very good prologue!
DazWizzle chapter 1 . 5/21/2018
I had a good laugh at this. The opening line cracked me up although the body had me really torn. I always find it hard to relate to the U.S living down under so this came across really comedic. I enjoyed the setting you placed the story in and crazy set up these kids would have to face going out into the world. Pretty tough times ahead.
ChaowyBear21 chapter 7 . 5/4/2018
That scene with Jasper and Tequila is very very interesting. That's my fav part of this chapter. I like where things where things are going with the both of them.
ChaowyBear21 chapter 6 . 5/4/2018
When Second mentioned the Crow laws in his speech,it made me think. Hearing him and the others speaking about their experiences really makes me wonder what our world was like before I was born. Now,I wonder what'd it be like in the future as the years change.
ChaowyBear21 chapter 5 . 5/4/2018
Seeing Tequila confess her feelings to Jasper was my favorite part. I think I have a new otp added to my otp list. I am so happy. Anyways,this chapter was great
God Speaking chapter 8 . 4/24/2018
The story so far is going in an interesting direction, somewhat predictable but I can't say for sure yet this early on. I've already grown fond of some of the characters like Jasper and Tequila but they still undoubtedly need more character development. The writing is concise and brief enough so that it gives off a light mood totally befitting this humorous political satire (can you call it that). Subjectively I still think The Benefits of Death was written better, but that isn't really a major issue you should dwell on.
I look forward to how this story goes.
God Speaking chapter 6 . 4/24/2018
The one month time-skip was a good decision since I presume doing otherwise would ruin the pacing.
God Speaking chapter 5 . 4/24/2018
In hindsight the exaggerated manner of how revelations are conveyed is just too damn funny. In a span of a millisecond we find out that Jasper donated a kidney to Xavier, and also about his outrageous inventions.
God Speaking chapter 4 . 4/24/2018
The characters being assigned jobs that they have no interest in actually creates a unique dynamic. I couldn't help but feel like the exchange on the latter part of this chapter happened too quick, I would appreciate it more if some sort of reaction was elicited because to me rebelling against the president is sort of an outlandish huge task in the first place- I imagine Tequila's eyes widening a bit or something from the sudden request, just stuff like that to make them more relatable.
God Speaking chapter 2 . 4/24/2018
I enjoyed the humor and overall this was a pretty fun chapter.
I am slightly concerned about where the premise of the eye and hair color will go since it looks to me that the main plot line will revolve around overthrowing the president or something. I hope the eye and hair color thing isn't merely just a device to put the main characters into arbitrary job positions and societal roles.
God Speaking chapter 1 . 4/24/2018
An interesting premise albeit questionable one. I'm pretty sure dictating societal roles and basing them on eye and hair colors would raise issues- not to mention why even drastically alter a system that already works and is arguably very efficient (but from the prologue title I could guess that maybe the president just wants to mess the country up)
Nevertheless, this is the fictional world and this chapter has done its job on drawing the reader in by raising those glaring questions. I look forward to how this story eventually leads to.
A minor issue: I found the successive use of words that aren't "said" to be quite jarring.
Ex. "If you say so," I replied.
CalvinHobbesGatsby chapter 5 . 4/13/2018
This is a very interesting story, I like how you’re having young people rebel instead of adults. It’s far more interesting to see kids trying to rebel against fascism because their not as experienced and they have less to work with. I also like how even though they’re planning a revolution, you still manage to squeeze in some romance. Keep it up.
ChaowyBear21 chapter 3 . 3/28/2018
Reading this chapter really made me think. People always say history repeats itself and they're not wrong about it. I like where the story is going with Jasper's plan. I can see where he's coming from. Like always,fantastic job.
ChaowyBear21 chapter 2 . 3/9/2018
So far so good. I noticed that "The Benefits of Death" and "The Puberty Diaries" were mentioned in this chapter and that took me by surprise and I mean the kind of surprise when someone throws you a surprise party. Story wise,I like where things are going