Reviews for What is it All For?
The 80s Guy chapter 15 . 2/12
Holy shit, my man. I'm glad that David and Edith got their happy endings after the shitstorm they endured. Shame about Jacob... poor kid.
The Cybersmith chapter 15 . 4/13/2019
I don't know how you did it, but you made me cry so many times...
WilliamBerkowitz chapter 15 . 11/24/2018
I really moved and felt in my soul the Love and the Revolution written in it's history.

His thoroughness to his insight and his perseverance in his research really are noteworthy to a skilled writer.

I really loved your story and please say please write another story of love and revolution about the Spanish Civil for a personal request of mine, please ask it to be about a foreigner from the International Brigades who fell in love with a Spanish Republican.

I know it's pretty cliche but I really love this kind of story As far as this goes for your creativity but please think about it.

Thank You.
Guest chapter 12 . 9/6/2018
This chapter! This chapter right here is my all time favorite. The aftermath of the big battle was by far a low blow. I felt like I was standing there with Edith, watching in horror of the depravity that was taking place. I felt betrayed by Sophia and disgusted by Copic. But, most of all, I had a sense of catharsis when Jacob finally exploded and gave his full two cents. He was excellent!

I can't believe they had to leave behind Jacob but at the same time, it was for the best. At the end of the day, Dave and Edie still have lives to lead and problems to smooth over. Excellent chapter once again. All I can add as a negative would be the lenght of the chapter. I still find it imtimidating somewhat. Overall, great read.
Guest chapter 9 . 9/6/2018
Wow, good for David! He really gave it his all out there. I think that was one of the best scenes in this chapter. David's resolve and determination to push the enemies back. You portrayed it quite well. Well done.
Admiral Ironsides chapter 1 . 8/18/2018
Not bad, the Spanish Civil War is an important event in the lead up the WW2, and you have my attention since i haven't given it much of a reading until now. I the details that show, the mention of the Conservation corps, or the missed and matched uniforms worn by the brigade, it shows research was done.
I will say, the use of parenthesis to explain Spanish is a bit jarring, i'd recommend having a character who speaks the language explain the meaning of phrases instead, that way the reader isn't pulled from the immersion of the story.

I'm looking forwards to more to come.
Elizabeth Cooper chapter 12 . 8/16/2018
Just...wow. This book is truly fascinating! It's definitely a very serious story with some deep themes. The beginning grabs the reader immediately as we are introduced to David and him looking for a deeper purpose in life. The battle scenes are absolutely amazing to read, and truly graphic and terrifying. This feels like much more of an adult novel than your last. There are some extremely compelling scenes, like in Chapter 9 when the soldiers consider mutiny and killing Law. Also, this chapter where it goes from victory to plundering and killing, making you question who really are the good guys in war.

Saying that, take my next few critiques with a grain of salt. All-over, I found this book to be well-paced, interesting, and mostly realistic. However, I'm going to make three criticisms, none of which you need to listen to.

First, there are some unneccessary scenes that aid little to the story. What is the point of having a chapter with David's sister and his ex Samantha? We already know that both exist because David talks about them. Why do we need the scene with David refusing to give up his passport? Is it to demonstrate his strong-willed character, or will this come back in the next few chapters?

Second, how realistic do you want to be in this story? You do an extremely thorough job of presenting the facts behind battles, which I appreciate, but then other scenes feel a bit unrealistic. The scene in Chapter 5 when David and Edith have to share a room because there are no other rooms left feels so cliqued. Not only do I find it adds nothing to their romance, but this type of scene has been done in so many romance books and movies it feels predictable when most of the rest of this book is anything but predictable.

Also, the scene where David is shot in Chapter 8. I have watched several interviews with soldiers who were shot in war who all agree that there is no way you can continue fighting after you get shot, though this tactic is used in many fictional movies and books. Again, this is not a massive criticism, and instead a question of how realistic you wish this story to be.

The third critique is the largest one, but it was something I kept thinking about as I was reading this book. That is, what is the main plot? You could say that this is a war story with some themes of romance, but that seems a bit to generic. Fighting a generic war never makes a compelling story. I'm going to give the example of Saving Private Ryan, probably one of the most famous war movies of all time. You might have seen it, but if not, it follows Tom Hank's character, who is ordered to find Private Ryan in the middle of WWII and send him home to America. While the war is going on and many battles are featured, the focus of the plot is always on Hank's personal mission. With your book, it feels as if we have a backdrop of war, a dash of romance, but no main focus to the plot. Again, this is probably just me, but I would have liked more focus on a conflict closer to David instead of simply battle after battle.

I don't mean to some critical, because I really do enjoy this story and look forward to reading the last few chapters. It's truly the type of book I would like to see more often in published form, because it shows war in a mostly realistic manner, without glamorizing it or censoring it. I look forward to reading the end!

Take care,
Elizabeth
Kahoruko711 chapter 6 . 6/8/2018
Well, that was a pretty tense scene. Any further and David would have been branded a traitor for protesting so loudly. Well done on the second part. I couldn't help but worry over a shootout occurring. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Well, for now at least.

Anyways, very good job with the chapter.
Kahoruko711 chapter 5 . 6/8/2018
Very nice chapter. Good to see Dave and Edie developing their bond. The dancing was also a cute touch. I have no doubt that they will become an item much sooner than later.
Kahoruko711 chapter 4 . 4/22/2018
Liked the opening scene with David and Edith. I'm glad that they were able to talk again before the next battle. Again, you are on point with the action scenes. I can just visualize it in my head from the descriptions you gave out. I was feeling a little about Jake for a while. But, I'm glad he survived with Dave, for now at least.

There really isn't much to say, since I've seen bits of this chapter beforehand. A good chapter once again!
Kahoruko711 chapter 3 . 4/10/2018
Geez, that was a little rough to read through. I felt bad for Edith during the battles in this chapter. It clearly shows her naivety and inexperience during a dark time in the war. Hopefully she'll meet David again and mend her broken spirit. This was a very good chapter overall. I'll be looking forward to the next one!
Kahoruko711 chapter 2 . 4/10/2018
I get the feeling Jake and Dave's difference of opinion will really come to a head once when the time comes. I like how Jake fails at picking up girls while Dave succeeds to grab their attention. It's good to see new female characters in this chapter and I think Edith looks promising. Can't wait to see what you do with her. Again, good chapter!
Kahoruko711 chapter 1 . 3/15/2018
Good beginning. It's a good start to a new story. I also like how simple David's reasoning is. He just wants to fight for his homeland. I'm curious to see how his thoughts will develop in the future. Considering what you told me a while ago, it seems like David won't be the same after all is said and done. Looking forward to the next chapter.