Reviews for Find A Way
dustyallen chapter 3 . 2/13
"I write about people who are lost and help them find their way", that line really stuck out to me in a good way. I've only read the first three chapters so far, but I'm really digging the dreamy atmosphere you've set up here.

The prologue was cool and ominous. So far I'm liking Howl as a character and interested to see how his condition reacts with the premise you've set up.

Anyway, so far I enjoy the set up and the atmosphere here, you have me intrigued.
Jack Bellows chapter 1 . 9/24/2018
Dark and lovely. Maybe it's not healthy to say this, but I think I needed to read that. This makes me want to try again at writing about death and solitutude. Great Job again, Zaney.
The Warrior Poet chapter 6 . 9/3/2018
The beginning is this chapter, The Voice, is seriously chilling. Jumping back in time after that part builds suspense because I can’t wait to see where/how Howl comes to experience this terrifying encounter.

In the second part of the chapter we have our party forming, and now we really have something interesting simmering on the hob. A great set up here with lots of promise.

I can see that you are trying to be economical with your word count, but I would love to be able to follow one of the group as they separate and confirm that everyone is, indeed, asleep. There are all sorts of creepy little sequences you could set up with an entire town falling asleep where they stand, and having this extra exploration would make the narrative feel like it doesn’t jump so much between separating and meeting at the library again. Just my two cents.
AngryFerrets chapter 6 . 9/3/2018
Hmmm...that flash forward is pretty ominous. Seems like whatever our fledgling party is about to face will turn pretty ugly in a few hours.

The tension is starting to mount as well. The short chapter style really works well with this story (except the long waits ;) ) as it teases us along with tiny tidbits of information without drawing us through long, tedious bits of exposition. You've really focused on telling us what's important and keeping the story moving in a straight line (minus the flash forward).

As always, I'll be anxiously awaiting the next piece.
Sir Scott chapter 6 . 8/2/2018
That's a pretty strange situation.
~Sir Scott
MilesK chapter 5 . 7/11/2018
Interesting story you are crafting here. The first half of the first chapter of this story really sold me, and I was interested early on. I will say that the story does taper off a bit after this, becoming a little dry. However, the world is very interesting, and it is a simple pacing fix to make it all as exciting as the beginning. The long bit of monologue towards the end of the first chapter was a lot to digest, I would say cut that back a bit. I like the voice you use, lots of great imagery. You use the color blue a lot, not sure if this is your intention, but the picture I was painting in my mind constantly had a blue tint to it, kind of like twilight(time of day not book/movie). So, if that is your intention then by all means keep it, but if not, maybe try and brighten the story up a bit with some other colors.
All in all, very well written. I think you are trying to do a lot in such a small amount of space, five full length chapters is plenty of space to introduce all that you do in this story, but the chapters here are all really only a page, so the story needs more space.
Thanks for reviewing my story, I look forward to reading more of your stuff!
Ckh chapter 5 . 7/8/2018
I didn't notice you updated this. Solid chapter as always. We get a quick glimpse of Howl's past and his thoughts about the future. Poor guy, he deserves a break. Very tightly written in a way that benefits the short chapter format. Man, I could do with more chapters, especially with the supernatural being ramped up at the end of this chapter. Keep up the good work.

A minor typo:
avoid should be avoided
AngryFerrets chapter 5 . 7/7/2018
Loved the description of the cat. I'm a dog person so the casual coolness of the cat reinforced my stereotype. :) Although the eventual comfort the cat provided is, I think, a universal benefit to owning a loved pet.

I think Howl is a very relateable character to for a lot of people. In today's world so many people just want an escape. We all want something and we all have something to get away from. I have always loved how your work has a subtle dose of social commentary. You see the world and weave it into your stories with an intricate precision.

And wow...that turned dark in a hurry. Very intrigued about what the creature is and what is happening. Great job of giving just enough information to tease the reader along before ending the chapter.
The Warrior Poet chapter 5 . 7/2/2018
I can see that each one of the characters that you have introduced seem to have one problem or another, chips on their shoulders as it were. Something tells me that Howl will ultimately have a role to play in repairing them, to 'find a way' for them just like he does with the characters in his stories. His narcolepsy and the loss of his aunt represent two very significant barriers of his own to overcome, though, and this could form an interesting conflict later on.

Howl is something of a tragic character. He clearly feels disconnected from the world as a result of his condition. As someone who has worked graveyard shifts for many years I can relate to those feelings, just as I can relate to Howl's identity as a writer.

The creature of darkness in this chapter is wonderfully described. I can't help but wonder what it represents, but I could see it as perhaps being symbolic of something which Howl resents: the Night. If this is indeed the case you have set up a wonderfully symbolic story element here, and I am very curious to see what becomes of it.
Sir Scott chapter 5 . 7/2/2018
That was be scary not to ever be able to sleep. I think I would just give in to it. Very creepy ending to this chapter.
~Sir Scott
Ckh chapter 4 . 6/24/2018
The central cast looks to be introduced. Finding your inner demons and finding yourself seems to be the focal point of this piece and I wonder how this will link to the threat that the town will soon face...

Lily is pressured by the status of her family while Zae has a past he tries to ignore. Interesting. As for Talen... Howl and Talen are a lot alike than Howl thinks, just that Talen is a lot less sentimental. It'll be interesting to see the dynamic between Howl and the cast once the plot kicks into high gear, seeing as Howl is seemingly unaware of the cast's inner demons. Keep up the good work.
Ckh chapter 3 . 6/23/2018
Hmmmm...we get to see Howl's life in school and its no wonder he has not been able to form connections. Zae and Lily are introduced, and it is implied that there is more to them than they let on.
Maybe they suffer from their internal demons, Lily being a celebrity of sorts and Zae being, well, tormented. A chapter that reveals more about the characters that inhabit this world. Thanks for sharing.
Ckh chapter 2 . 6/23/2018
"Many of Howl's friends now lived in the fictional world he created..." - A statement that hits close to home. I find myself wanting to re use former characters that my friends have created to honour their memory - but lets not talk about stories I will never start and finish.

Howl finds meaning in life only within dreams and seeks to escape of his funk, a very human struggle, the desire to break out of their cycle that is. I don't have much else to say about Howl's character other than what has already been said, but here is my vote to him being a relatable character. Your writing remains smooth as always, covered with a small layer of cynicism. I'll gladly get a super blue blood moon shirt just for the sake of it.
Ckh chapter 1 . 6/21/2018
Wow. That was a way to kick things off. The fantastical element of the story immediately piqued my interest and you delivered with your prose. Its hard to do a short chapter right and I can say that you used the minimal amount of words to lure us into this strange world. I don't think there was any fluff whatsoever. I'm intrigued. Tell me more.
The Warrior Poet chapter 2 . 6/21/2018
“Nonetheless, there was an unmistakeable sense of bliss about him as he softly typed out his novel, as though a spellbinding dance of words was occurring in front of his very eyes.”

As a writer this passage really spoke to me. That blissful feeling is so very rare, but when it does come it truly is like being under a spell, and the chapters fly from under your fingers like a printing press spitting out newspapers.

Howl seems like a fascinating character, and a relatable one to boot. In my younger days I, too, liked to hang around the libraries within an antisocial bubble. There have been times in which my characters have seemed like my only friends, also.

I am thinking now that the first chapter was one of Howl’s dreams, but I am left to ponder at the significance of it.