Reviews for Through My Eyes
zanybellecloudo chapter 2 . 6/18
Storytelling for reward is perhaps not were fiction started, not in the original sense. As you point out, for many years there was no way of recording stories. Chinese whispers is what ensued. Stories were embellished, misremembered and corrupted for self benefit overtime. Yet, the true art of expressing ones imagination and creativity was not for reward but for pleasure and wonderment. Stories allowed minds to develop and knowledge to expand across lands and oceans and planets. Without storytelling, we would remain a limited race doomed to repeat, infinitely. Fairytales warned children not to wander into candy houses or steal things from bears. Sonets opened hearts the deepest of love, to drown in it, even at the cost of death. Novels taught us of injustice and the horrors of humanity, the greatest monsters of them all. Rather than a fictitious tale for meat, stories change the world as we know it. ZB.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 12 . 6/17
I had to laugh a bit when you said that man would not survive without food, water, and internet. Though in today's worod that is true. There are people who live off-the-grid, but they are prepared to do so. I always try to learn survival skills, though personally I would not survive long at all.
I do hear that you can use water bottle tops to filter bad water though.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 11 . 6/17
Interesting thoughts. I never knew fictionpress used to be that different. It's crazy how sites change.
I like the personal aspects of fictionpress too. It's a great experience being so able to connect with other writers.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 10 . 6/17
Time is probably one of my favorite subjects despite thefact that I'm not sure where I stand about it.
I often say that time does not actually change anything, the experiences in that time do. While that is true somewhat, we still are bound by time in the sense that everyone eventually runs out of it.
I have never thought of time as an actual thing, more as something we use to try and keep our lives more orderly. Though mentioning it like that makes me think about it differently.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 9 . 5/27
Fate and Chance have always been things that confuse me. Especially since they are combined so often. I'm still not exactly sure what to make of it, really. It's interesting how the things in the past differ so much from the way we see now.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 8 . 5/13
Hmm, interesting. I've seen this New Thought thing a lot- and I disagree with a lot of things it would imply.
It is true that you cannot just wish something with no action to make it come true. I've found that having smaller goals to eventually accomplish a bigger goal is very helpful. I get frustrated trying to achieve a large goal all together, but in pieces it is easier.
It's kind of tricky, because even though I don't agree with New Thought, I find myself trying it in small, usually silly ways. When I go into a store, I imagine a mental picture of the item I want to be there sitting on the shelf. It happens that it's never there, unless I imagine it won't be there. It-s odd how others' thinking can creep into you.
Phineas Redux chapter 7 . 5/9
I’ve enjoyed your insights on Life. I’m particularly impressed by your analogy of early humans using Imagination to help in their everyday lives, and of how the first story-tellers found their niche.

Your idea that we use Imagination to form a perfect world in our minds has a lot going for it. What you say in Chapter 4 The Human Mind, about people forming first impressions which become unbreakable templates, so influencing even bad relationships to continue, is remarkably insightful.

The fact that, as you say, a lot of History has been written, or re-written, by the winners has certainly affected the lasting preconceptions of various historical figures and periods within the historical context. While the change between the Gregorian and Julian calendars, not to mention the ways Romans or even Ancient Egyptians perceived the passing of the years, has certainly resulted in some difficulties tying various eras together rationally.

In Chapter 06, The Writer’s Task, your reference about the perception of history being more important than the actuality has a great deal of merit to it. As to your discussion of Dreams, I tend to the mainstream idea that it is primarily nature’s way of rebooting the mind; though I readily admit the serious influence dreams have on the human mind and psyche, and the fact that, generally, dreams are in some way symbolic.

Altogether a highly interesting series of essays, with questions raised and theories put forward which allow of much serious and on-going thought. I look forward to more to come.
LeagionFear chapter 2 . 5/8
Very interesting, is 'the lazy hunter' a true story, or one you have thought of yourself? I find it more likely that the telling of stories originated first from describing the places they had been that had good game or fruit. The story being passed from generation to generation through necessity, similar to how elephants will remember and teach the way to get to a watering hole.
Stories are a great way to learn things and commit them to memory using a narrative as well, while native tribes in Australia would use stories as maps, each event correlating to a particular place or location allowing the 'map' to be passed and remembered by each subsequent teller.
Stories were also used to teach important lessons, easier to remember for the narrative attached we see them now as children's stories like little red riding hood and Hansel and Grettle, or in Aesop's fables.
I like your take on the idea, though, there is more to it and you could certainly go more in depth than you have here.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 7 . 5/6
I have always found dreams interesting, and quite a few story elements have come to me through dreams. I am always a bit disappointed when I cannot remember a dream.
I have often had dreams where I am aware of the fact that I'm "just" dreaming, but like you said I had no control. I was simly reminding myself that "I can't be hurt or seriously affected here, I'll wake up soon".
SaltwaterExtended chapter 6 . 5/6
Very cautiously. I know a few friends who write a lot of historical fiction- and after looking at the amount of research they go to (and who knows how much is really correct) I have told myself I shall not try that. I am grateful for their contributions to it, though.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 5 . 5/6
True. I have often wondered how much of history is actually flawed or lost.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 4 . 4/29
I studied psychology this past year, and a lot of what you said actually reminded me of some of the things mentioned there.

That is also an interesting thought about the bad relationship cycle. It seems very likely that is how it works most of the time. It's very difficult to tell yourself that a person is bad to you, once you have good memories of them.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 3 . 4/22
Hmm interesting. I would definitely say that I can hardly imagine a world without imagination.
I like that you go off of the different theories of the origins of imagination. They are all interesting to think about.
I would say that in the Adam and Eve theory, though, that imagination was used before they disobeyed. I'm not sure if it exactly counts as imagination, but Adam did come up with names beforehand.
guest chapter 1 . 4/21
This looks interesting! I will come back later when I have time and read.
SaltwaterExtended chapter 2 . 4/18
Huh, I've never heard that theory before. It was interesting.
I'm not quite sure what you intended by "the storyteller was a slacker, and he made progress" ...but it is through your eyes, so if that's how you see it that makes sense. Or maybe I am reading it wrong.
The last small paragraph I like the best- possibly because of the "computer-campfire " comparison. I like things like that.