Reviews for Sentimentality
RainbowPearls chapter 1 . 6/26
God- this was so awesome,
the past is but a song with its lyrics removed,
untranslated dreams of childhood heroes"
This was my favorite line in the poem. Yep, it's a rule that we are bound to forget the things because it's really hard to carry on life remembering everything that had happened -grief, sorrows, tragedies, etc- That's why we have a tendencies of forgetting with time and on our subconscious mind we feel like we remember everything but it's just sinking in a corner of our brains. The emotions attached with it aren't sticking with us right now or else we would have never moved in our life. It's a rule, no matter what happens, the life goes on. So this it.
Timbo Slice chapter 1 . 6/17
I really like the use of language in this piece. Usually people get too caught up in the “purple prose” aspect of poertry that they forget it’s the words themselves that create deeper feelings for the readers. Loved the line “the past is but a song with its lyrics removed.” Perfect metaphor for sentimentality, we don’t remember every single detail of the past but we use memories to create a pretty clear picture.
Nemone chapter 1 . 6/17
I really liked how you described it as "the past is but a song with it's lyrics removed". I thought, damn that's right! It's just like how we forget the specifics but all those feelings remain. We don't even remember why we have feelings about certain things but we just do. Honestly I often feel like slapping myself for forgetting but I know there are a lot of things I don't want to remember. At the end the poem says "we forget to remember so that our past can birth the future". I really think that's true. There are a lot of trivial things as well as dark things that we're better off just forgetting and leaving in the past.
zanybellecloudo chapter 1 . 6/14
"All we do is forget" is very powerful when you stop and think about those words. A poignant and sobering poem. Human nature is to attach to our past and history, much like a child does to it's mother. There is a strange comfort in the past, because it has been and requires nothing more. Yet, we forget easily, maybe to reach the future we must. This line sums it up: "the past is but a song with its lyrics removed". A talented and thought-provoking poem. Thanks for sharing, ZB.
DazWizzle chapter 1 . 6/14
Something about this hit 10 year old me standing next to dad in line for the movies 20 years ago. I think the final part about forgetting gives an odd message. We forget the mundane but not the important moments we share with our loved ones.
Xarken chapter 1 . 6/12
This poem really gives a gray feeling, but fades into a sorta blue. I guess what I'm trying to say is it does a good job of transitioning from a more drab feeling to a more hopeful ending. I commend you good fellow, I quite enjoyed this one. Gave me some of those good ole feels.
Kitsune95 chapter 1 . 6/12
It's a melancholy feeling that this poem invokes, but then it ends on what a hopeful note: "We forget / To remember" .
In reading it, I was reminded on those I've lost or almost forgotten, but also of promises I still mean to keep.
I enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing :)
LeagionFear chapter 1 . 6/12
I like the ending. It's a really surreal sort of feel you are creating here, and I really like it, it lists from side to side like a boat, kinda... I dunno, maybe I'm just tired.
Make sure you are consistent with the capitalization of each line, it is standard for poems to have either all caps at the start or all smalls, but not a mix. XD