Reviews for Graveyard Shift
Mislav chapter 1 . 3/14
Pretty fun and creepy short story. Great description of cemetery at night, and an effective build up to the reveal. You also developed Clyde's character pretty well. I especially liked the part where he recounts how he had put close to 2000 people in the ground, including his mother, and he still remembers all of them. Nice foreshadowing with the silver cross necklace. I expected the story to end with Clyde dying or something, so the ending really took me off guard LOL. It sounded like that wasn't his first time dealing with something like that. "But this here is September" gave me the chills. Keep up the great work. I always have fun reading your stories.
I. C. Kyeropas chapter 1 . 9/8/2018
Very well written, excellent control of setting and ambiance. You avoid filtering and passive language. You strike the right balance between being descriptive and not using too many adjectives.

My one issue is the presence of anachronisms. Tape measures, wheelbarrows, and tarps are all modern inventions. But the modern techniques of preservation make the old practice of bells and tubes impractical. Nobody is buried alive anymore because either the cremation or formaldehyde will kill you first. So I recommend either setting this in the past by getting rid of some of the newer equipment or set it in the future by saying that this graveyard is unique because it maintains an old tradition. Or come up with a different way for the dead to rise.

I knew that the dead would come back to life in the first paragraph when you mentioned garlic and a silver cross. If you were going for a surprise, maybe exclude that detail? But I did like the "this here is September" twist.