Reviews for Out of Summer
RainbowBoy365 chapter 1 . 8/23
This is beautifully well-written. Good job on the first chapter. :)
the upward glance chapter 14 . 5/20
I really love the little world you’ve built here. The way you convey the perspective of children is great, and is amplified by meaningful and insightful narration. I like how you’ve used quotes from some of my favorite works as well to underscore some of the themes you’re examining. :) I look forward to reading more.
MLRivers chapter 5 . 6/9/2019
this story really is one of a kind and i love the way you describe eliot and his thoughts. your exploration of how children view religion is insightful and i look forward to more!
echogirlcapri chapter 2 . 5/1/2019
Honestly your writing is really really good! I love how you write a six year old child and you're able to make it sound realistically immature, but also deep and thought-provoking. Religion from children's points of view can be so fascinating, and you really do it justice! looking forward to more :)
echogirlcapri chapter 1 . 5/1/2019
Ooh this is really interesting! I'm very curious about the family and how Eliot will cope with essentially being isolated from his peers and the other townspeople. I'm also looking forward to seeing his relationship with Jonah develop some more!
forgive-me-for-my-youth chapter 1 . 4/23/2019
I really enjoyed your descriptions of the two boys - the dirt under Jonah's toenails, their examining of each other. There is a wonderful rhythm to their speech, and a pleasant sparseness to the way you let a lot of the story happen unsaid, under the surface.
As a side note, I don't know whether you're aware that in some traditions, like Japanese folktales, foxes are thought to be shapeshifters who appear as humans to trick people. To me, that made the boys' talk about foxes and people particularly interesting.
As for a little criticism, the exposition at the start of the story where you set the scene could do with some tidying up. The word Abercrombie appears a lot and is sometimes confusing (at certain points, I wasn't sure whether Abercrombie was jargon for a specific type of house or interior design, or whether you were describing the house in terms of how it symbolises the family). Also, given how well you leave things unsaid later in the story, it seems you could also use this technique when characterising Ms. Abercrombie, perhaps by using scene rather than summary to introduce what she's like to us in some regards (though explaining the history of the town in summary works nicely).
I hope you write more of this because I am loving the long-afternoon-in-the-countryside atmosphere you have going. It's really visceral. The sense of tension between the boys is crafted very well, too, through the contrast between their curiosity about each other and their guardedness due to how different they are. The foreshadowing of the part religion will play in their growing interest in each other (if that's where this story is going) is quite ominous, as well.
I'm curious to see what you'll do with this idea!