Reviews for Saving Raindrop
Jim202 chapter 3 . 9/7/2019
So there are times when it's easier to talk to BethAnne without their mom present. Interesting point. I think that the tale is quite effective when characters make little observations about one another. The story tends to lag, however, when there's a lot of focus dedicated to everyday detail and the characters' environment.

She finally taught Max and Rodney a lesson.

The part about a stupid plan not being stupid if it actually works was kind of charming.

A hatched dragon. Cute.
Jim202 chapter 2 . 9/6/2019
"Then I didn't get to the chem lab report either."

That was pretty realistic. Those are the little things we think while scolding ourselves. The opening dialogue is quite solid as well.

"Why don't Magicals want us to know who they are and what they can do, unless they're going to do it to us?"

A nice little paranoid statement.

" 'I guess.' Maybe this one wouldn't be so bad."

I liked the bonding over nicknames.

"What is it with people who are old enough to know better thinking everyone is nice?"

A charming opinion.

The idea of Eva working on a cargo ship was fascinating. I like how she's got plans and potential solutions.

Driving class is required? Odd.

I was partly hoping that she'd let loose on Rodney and Max. This chapter certainly had the conflict and clarity that I was sort of looking for last time.
Jim202 chapter 1 . 8/31/2019
". . .but Eva wouldn't be in the house to observe the disappointment everyday."

"If there was one thing Eva couldn't stand, it was people assuming she had no feelings because she didn't wear them on her sleeve."

". . .but she'd already felt there had to be more to life than fitting in, as long as there were things wrong with the world."

"Middle name? That's never good."

I was impressed by those parts in particular. It's a fascinating story, but somewhat confusing at times, like at the beginning. From what I gather, Eva is something of a workaholic with a mystical gift, and she's looking forward to being out on her own when she grows up. She tries living a normal life at times, like when she dates, but ends up failing more often than not.

I don't know if I got it right. It feels like certain parts (Jaw inlet, Ear inlet, Dog's Head) could be better explained. The opening chapter also feels too long, partly because there's some excessive detail dedicated to little, everyday things. I also think that there could be more conflict to engage the reader early on (and I don't necessarily mean action). The conversation at the end, about BethAnne and Fixing, was interesting.

Overall, it's an intriguing world.