Reviews for Somewhere Else (NEW)
ellaistria chapter 22 . 12h
I'm sorry I never write a review, but I just wanted to let you know that this is my favourite story on this site (and I've read sooo many). But there's just something about Emi and Aksel's story that is so realistic and true. I feel like I know these characters based on your writing and I can sympathise with them. I want them to get back together so bad, but I also want them to bridge the gap in a healthy way. And I feel like they both have grown so much throughout this story, especially Emi. I'm so happy she has found her friends and her purpose in Helsinki.
Anyhow, I hope you're doing well. Thanks for uploading :) I'm about to finally graduate from college and I've been so stressed lately (can't believe I'll graduate at home without my friends), but every time I get an email from Fictionpress saying you've uploaded a new chapter it just makes my day.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/7
Would he have left her alone if she went back to Germany ? I wanna see if they would work out or even contact each other if she left.
Guest chapter 22 . 7/2
Still loving after all this time - thank you!
Marjulie chapter 16 . 6/30
i like you, Emi and Aksel, but I have to say that when you say or believe things like "I didn't mean them", you're choosing to deny your problems. In the heat of things, the words you choose and the actions you take are real and true. That being said, I do recognize that Emi felt boxed mentally and physically by Aksel, and the only thing she could lash out and say the thoughts that she's been biting back. Are her feelings true? Yes, but it didn't come from a place of hate, it came from a place of agony.
Fangalitious chapter 22 . 6/27
I'm so glad that Aksel and Emilie are finally talking about what happened between them. Hopefully, this is their real chance to process and move forward with the knowledge. I can't wait for Aksel to read the essay! So many good things to come! Update soon!
Guest chapter 21 . 6/13
Please keep updating this story! Can’t wait to read what happens next!
Kavi chapter 1 . 6/13
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have been checking for updates to this story since around 2013 and the last time I checked was some time last year. Right now, I'm working late and I thought I'd just look at fiction press to see if there were any new stories I could read and I stumbled upon this revamped sequel. I don't have the words to tell you how happy I am to see this. You've made my whole month! A friend of mine from high school also loves this story immensely, and I'm so ridiculously excited to break the news of this new sequel to her! I seriously am speechless. If you're okay with it, may I DM you on twitter? I'm so, so happy! Thank you thank you!
Pseudonym59 chapter 21 . 6/1
I really love how mature you are in your characterizations of Aksel and Emi. Neither of them are perfect, and they both have work to do before they can be together again.

I also really like how Emi is slowly realizing her flaws and seeing that she can hurt people just as they've hurt her. Her growth is really realistic - sometimes she slips back, but generally she moves forward.

Amazing story!
Anon-y-maus chapter 21 . 5/23
Omg, Im so happy you updated. I'd been checking your profile manically for the last few mnths to see if there were an update and here it is! Hopefully you've been keeping safe! Can't wait for more, truly a joy to read your writing :)
anon chapter 21 . 5/23
Yay, an update :) It's nice to see Aksel cares. I mean, of course he does, but it's to see Emi figure out that Aksel still cares (and I just figured out that I've been spelling his name wrong the entire time, it's AK-sel, not AS-kel, whooops).
Guest chapter 21 . 5/22
What a nice surprise! Still following along and super excited to see what happens! Keep updating please :)
jessskaaaaa chapter 20 . 4/22
i love this so much. i went on exchange myself and culture shock was so real, the language was so hard to grasp in its nuances and idiosyncrasies. this story is so real and so relatable and so many parts of it strike a chord in my heart as i remember my own experiences. thank you for this story, for putting all the experiences i felt into such a beautiful and bittersweet story
anon chapter 20 . 3/2
Emi's essay sounds super interesting: I highkey want to read it haha. I was just going to mention how it was nice to see this chapter really show how Emi's settling in Finland and how it's becoming more comfortable for her to live there...and then that asshole had to just show up last minute to sort of burst my bubble. I love the line "I am suddenly, desperately craving the connection that comes with being understood" because that it's just so terribly true: if something is important to you, then it doesn't matter that it's not and will never be important to others, so long as they understand *why* it means something to you.
anon chapter 19 . 3/2
Yay, glad you enjoyed the facts haha :) Right now my brain is fried but another fact I can think of is that you shouldn't go to bed and sleep after a traumatic event. This is bc emotions are super important in terms of memory: you tend to remember events with strong emotional connections. And sleep keeps your emotional memory alive for years which means it acts as a sort of 'glue' for emotions. Conversely, sleeping straight away is good if you're studying bc it helps you organise your knowledge better. But yeah this blew my mind bc there's a saying where I'm from that's along the lines of "Sleep so that that [emotion] goes away" but it's actually it's the opposite.

Now - more importantly - onto this chapter: it's interesting that Askel is actively seeking out Emi, conversing with her, wanting to be friends, etc. It makes me wonder if there's a logic behind it all (as in, he actively just wants to be with her and get back together) or whether just seeing her makes him want to be around her and he's just following his instincts.

When Emi pointed out he was allowed to criticise Finland but she wasn't bc she's a foreigner made me kind of laugh a little because, yeah, isn't that how it always goes? I'll criticise my home country all I want to ppl from it, but the second someone else criticises it, I'm like :( how dare u.

The part where they kissed, ahhh! I can't copy and paste the line - but I loved it where Emi describes it as being breathless the whole time and that when they kiss is when she can breathe again. It definitely speaks to their familiarity with each other: that they'd been together and long enough that it was a relationship where they could be comfortable with one another and that it was as natural as breathing...until it wasn't.
KillWithKindness chapter 19 . 1/10
Here we are again. I’m reading with rapt attention. I still love your writing. I’ve missed this story; it’s always been one of my favorites. I hope you’re well. And hope you remember me.
94 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »