Reviews for The Trials of Matthew Ainsworth
rebeccad1066 chapter 1 . 9/1/2019
Hello to the guest reviewer called Sally who reviewed this chapter. As you are a guest reviewer, I am unable to reply to this review. Thank you for reading and reviewing this story and please consider joining FictionPress- you will be able to publish your own stories and people will be able to reply to your reviews.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'm afraid I didn't have either Robert Ludlow or Lucy Conniston in mind as the killer. I did intend it to be possible to work out. The main clues are:
The photograph of Conniston, Ludlow and Miss Elizabeth with their arms round each other, before Miss Lucy arrived from New Zealand.
What Miss Elizabeth was looking at in the photo of the four young people together.
The accidents which befell both boys' favourite pets.
Miss Elizabeth's illness on the day of trial.
That the only time Ainsworth knew Ludlow was lying was when he said he couldn't explain the fingerprints or the bloodstained shirt.
Ludlow wasn't wearing the famous blood-stained shirt when Robert Ludlow met him in the hall.
The two men were interrupted in the hall by Miss Elizabeth and Michael Ludlow went off to give her a whiskey.
Ludlow tells the police he stayed with Miss Elizabeth until the police arrived, but Robert Ludlow saw him in the yard.
Robert Ludlow doesn't want to think about other possible culprits.

As for why Robert and Matilda Ludlow testified against him, they thought he'd done it. Or, at least, didn't want to think about if someone else had done it.
Sally chapter 9 . 8/31/2019
This was such an amazing story! Loved it.
Ainsworth started out as unlikeable but ended up as really good.
And while I do not mind the cliffhanger on real murderer (I'm betting my hedge on Lucy Conniston or Robert Ludlow) but my only issue is with the accused. You need to flesh him out more. His character is in need serious need of wanting. His mind, motives... just something. He's so composed but doesn't want to defend himself, just resgined. Why! Because his family wouldn't think him innocent either? His character, while most interesting, was least fleshed out and just sad.
Please work on this.

A few other points that can bettered.
Why his own father would testify against him? What was motivation for Matilda Ludlow.
While what makes a story interesting is leaving few things open-ended, some are just glaring plotholes.
The mystery needed explaning, too.
rebeccad1066 chapter 9 . 7/26/2019
Hello to the anonymous guest reviewer who kindly read and reviewed this tory. As you are a guest reviewer, there is no way to reply to you the way there is to users who have an account, but this is the second of my stories that you've reviewed, so I hope you see this message, which is just to say thank you for taking the time to read and review this story and please consider getting an account so that your reviews can be replied to properly.
Guest chapter 9 . 7/24/2019
Wow! That was fantastic! Drives me crazy that we don't know who actually killed Jack, but great ending. Thank you for a great read.