Reviews for Doomsdays
Chronic Guardian chapter 1 . 8/26/2019
You know, I could say there aren't enough details, but that's kind of the point. Like, if the world is ending and you know you can't make it out, what's really going to matter in the moment?

What I will say is that your character dynamics are strong and distinct, even without names. Even at the end of the world, it still feels fulfilling to have this catharsis and healing as they draw back together. It doesn't feel fruitless. And maybe that says more about me than it does about what you're trying to get at, but that touch of human connection, the intangible importance of putting a soul to rest, is exceptionally well played here. Where other writers might use this scenario as an excuse to live out fantasies, you've successfully highlighted a messy-but-important piece of human existence with a quieter but more substantial impact.

I mean, yes, you could say all they really end up accomplishing is facing the end on their own terms, but I feel it's more than that. Call me an optimist.

Also, the delicious density you've got going on here. Not even 1.5k and it feels four times the length! Not in a bad way, though. More like a "Every little thing here is packed with meaning" weight that forces me to slow down and drink in the story like a man in the gulags enjoying his warm lunch. If nothing else, I think it's a sign of craftsmanship on your part.

Thank you so much for joining us this summer! May our paths continue to cross, you fantastic human being.
Yours,
-CG
She Who Loves Pineapples II chapter 1 . 8/21/2019
This was a really intense story. You do a good job of focusing on the human drama in the midst of a dramatic setting. It feels really authentic - I do think that in a situation like this, people would be quite wrapped up in their own lives, past wrongs and their relationships with friends and family, rather than the kind of thing you can see in the news.

Interesting philosophical themes you touch on, with the question of is it better to know if you are doomed? Even if people had believed the world was ending, would they have been able to change anything? If not, would they have made better choices? Been kinder and spent more time with family? Or would they have killed each other off in the panic?

I sympathize with the scientist whose research was discredited. She was right but didn't get to spend those years doing things she loved, as the other scientists did. She was burdened with the truth. Almost no one will likely think to apologize to her now, which may be one reason why she's so welcoming to the narrator.

Of course, there are a lot of parallels to real life you could draw here. People mock and ignore the scientists and activists who warn of climate change - but that's something we actually might be able to do something about.

I like how at the end of the story, both scientists are somewhat resigned and decide to watch and wait. It is an interesting choice to watch in wait, instead of, say, to commit suicide as some might do. In their last moments, they are still getting to observe a phenomenon that scientists wonder about. Maybe that can serve as sort of a comfort to them. I think if I were in their shoes, I might commit suicide, but my main reason for NOT doing that would be curiosity.

Anyway, thought-provoking story! Nice work!
Aviantei chapter 1 . 8/17/2019
No one quite writes the end of the world like you do, L, and I’m glad for the chance to read it. Hopefully other parts of your summer have been treating you well!

I think what I like most about this is that we can feel so much even with the limited details you give us. We don’t need names. We don’t need the research or the science. We don’t need to see the end of the world happen. We just need this three day space, and that’s more than enough to feel the fear and dread of our narrator as we wait through the last moments of peace these characters have to experience. Fabulous.

While it would serve as a good closer, I hope that this isn’t the end of your summer writing, and that we get to experience more soon.

Ta,