Reviews for Aurora Sanctum
She Who Loves Pineapples II chapter 3 . 3/17/2020
Interesting premise you have so far here. Anti-heroes like sociopathic assassins are hard to pull off, but they can be totally fascinating if done right. I like how you start the story right in the middle of the action when she's pulling off a hit, and then move on to the slower moments of Jules's life that develop her character. I also like that, right away, you have her feel a bit sorry for her victim and feel relief at not having to kill the dog, as it shows the reader that Jules has something of a conscience and makes her easier to sympathize with. Then you go on and show that she likes art, works with kids, and went through tough times to get where she is. Again, all things that make her a little more complex than just a hitwoman. I like how she thought she'd get the wolf but actually got the bunny. It makes me suspect she has more good in her than she thinks and she's going to have to make tough choices later.

Jules's backstory is a little odd to me; have there ever been any real cases where someone started off as "normal" but developed sociopathic tendencies after injury/trauma? I know brain damage can change people's personality but I've never heard of it changing someone from empathetic to cold-blooded killer. I guess anything is possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this story develops. Keep writing.