Reviews for Windows and Doors
Aviantei chapter 1 . 7/6
Greetings Eevee! I’m slowly working towards giving out reviews like a good admin; dong mind me!

I like this poem a lot for the way you have different tones and have a solid transition between them. Good stuff. Also kudos on working with a rhyme scheme. That’s one of my strongest adversaries, and you did a good job at keeping most of the rhymes natural, rather than feeling forced. Kudos to you.

And those are my thoughts! I’ll work my way around to passing out more reviews, so keep an eye out for them!
-Avi
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 6/9
I was reading the beginning of this to the tune of 'Doors and Windows' from the Narnia musical. Automatic word association FTW! Excellent job with a sense of rising emotion in this, and after seeing a bunch of blank verse poems it's very satisfying to see something that rhymes! Any inspiration drawn from the covid lockdown, or is that just coincidental. Anyway, good work.
punktrashnoiz chapter 1 . 6/8
I really liked this! I've never been good at writing poetry, so I'm always in awe of people who can. I found this poem really relatable. There's been people in my life that I've tried so hard to help and support, but sometimes I'm just not able to. It's hard to help people who do not want to be helped, after all. At a certain point, you just have to take a step back for your own mental well-being. At the same time, I've also come close in the past to letting myself be trapped in a prison of my own making.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next!
Chronic Guardian chapter 1 . 6/8
Windows and doors... like, opportunities?

It's an interesting poem, and I really like the rhyme scheming you've got going on. The speaker's various exhortations lead me to believe that the chief end of going outside is more to spend time with the subject. It's like two paths that run parallel no matter how much one tries to go perpendicular.

Alternatively, it could be the internal monologue of a manic-depressive with the manic side trying to get the depressive side to go and get a little sunshine. Certainly not the only possibility, but that is indeed where my mind goes.

Regardless of whether or not my muddled interpretations are anywhere near the mark, thank you for sharing with us, Eevee! I hope you have a wonderful summer and get many opportunities to spend meaningful time doing things you love.
Regards,
-CG
SoSaysL chapter 1 . 6/7
You know, I have this image in my head of someone (like maybe an imperious sibling) standing over this person who's really doing their very best to get out of a labyrinth, and telling them "You have to get up! I'm tired of waiting!" Like, perhaps the rescuee in a rescue mission doesn't think their hero is doing a very good job with this after all.

But what I found most interesting was the line, "there's nothing there." That nothing is stopping the person, really, from getting out. There's a lot of ideas you can draw from this - like, is the speaker just kinda lying about that, or is the person they're speaking to actually trapped in a labyrinth of their own making, and they would be free should they only take three steps further? These are the real questions. A great start to the summer!