Reviews for Another List of wonders
Temple Cloud chapter 2 . 8/29/2020
It definitely sounds as if Erica is being bullied - which is presumably part of why she was hoping to spend lunchtime with her older brother, where she'd be safe.

Evening arrangements - the children being left to occupy themselves for the first part of the evening, with the babysitter coming later on to make sure they go to bed at a sensible time, sounds similar to what we did in my family when I was twelve and my brothers were nine (my dad was working abroad and my mum had to work some evening shifts, like Ivan here). But 'Don't leave the living room, and if you have to go to the bathroom, use the buddy system,' sound unusual rules - I'm sure my parents wouldn't have worried about our playing in the garden, or going up to our bedrooms or to the loo unattended. I can understand that Ivan doesn't want them touching dangerous things without parental supervision (though when I was Joel's age, I cooked a meal unaided for my tenth birthday celebration), but surely children aged ten and eight who know what is or isn't dangerous in their house don't have to be confined to one room? It sounds as though Ivan is either being massively over-protective, or he knows that there is something very dangerous around.
Temple Cloud chapter 1 . 7/8/2020
Poor Ivan! He's clearly having a frustrating time. I'm sorry the rest of the story can't be about him AND about his children (even if we don't see any more of it told directly from his point of view).

I wonder how Ivan's parents feel about him being a roofer, and how well the job pays. In the first story, he seemed a fairly spoilt rich kid (his own private bathroom, indeed!), so if he isn't making a lot of money, this might have taken some getting used to. Also, I can't remember whether the Ivan of this story has a father who is a prominent scientist (you've written a few different versions of Ivan, over the years), but if so, he might feel that Ivan taking a job other than in academia was letting the side down. So these look like interesting areas to explore (possibly the kids hear Granddad grumbling about his life choices).

Thinking back to my own schooldays, getting gum stuck in my hair was generally not the result of me chewing gum (which I didn't), but of other children sticking their well-chewed gum in my hair to annoy me. I was lucky if they just stuck half-sucked and sticky sweets there instead. Possibly Erica is being bullied, and hasn't felt able to explain this to her father? Though she sounds fairly cheerful and untroubled, in this chapter. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing what happens.