Reviews for The Green Box
aviick chapter 12 . 9/9
I liked the tie-in here. It also reminds me of what you shared about an almost meditative/trance like state, as that was likely an influence here. What I also like about this is it highly suggests that Gray is "different" than his peers and will be resilient in the face of trauma or crisis. "Inner" strength is often a theme in your stories and this may be an early sign of it.
aviick chapter 11 . 9/9
I'm glad I asked about "The Game (and the curse)" and it's meaning here. It was not clear to me exactly what was meant but it makes sense now. The idea of this helps to clarify a few questions I had about how things come to be in this world; it makes sense to me that culturally there would be this issue and that culture plays a significant part of the storyline.
aviick chapter 10 . 9/9
I like how you do return to the creation myth and have introduced the mysterious man with the beard. Very visual and suggestive. It leaves room for the reader to imagine possibilities or fill the gaps with "common knowledge" or references.
aviick chapter 9 . 9/2
I see your point and think its good to point out that when there is an invading group often times there is a cruelty that goes alongside the invasion and the ones being invaded are not viewed as having value or even identity or culture. The question becomes will all be of the same mentality? Or how will the invaded rise above this?
aviick chapter 8 . 9/2
A good segment into furthering this story line and a detail that is surprising (the film strip). I would like to see more of these details alongside the character story lines being developed.
aviick chapter 7 . 9/2
I like the suggestion of classic sci-fi here. The description of the stampede to the tank and the presence of other animals really smacks of classic descriptions but still this is unique to you and your vision for the story.
aviick chapter 6 . 9/2
I liked the note at the start as, again, details are keen in my mind. I also especially liked the ending of this chapter as it builds a lot of character "suspense" (even though the reader has been made aware of what is ahead). It's great to see you vary the way in which you tell the story form and the general dynamic.
aviick chapter 5 . 4/8
I'm not familiar with the reference; however, I like to set up in this chapter as it makes me wonder what series of events will follow as a result of one person's decision. There is always a bit of thread involved, and when one pulls at the string, who knows what will happen on the other side.
aviick chapter 4 . 4/1
I totally like the direction you are taking this story in! I was just thinking about carnivals not that long ago and some of the symbology involved in carnivals and traveling circuses. There is a lot of potential to this turn of events! Looking forward to reading on!
aviick chapter 3 . 4/1
That is an interesting concept regarding aesthetics. Is the question of function going to be an underlying theme in your story as well? You sometime strike this question of the power of the more mundane, which is something that I personally enjoy. I hope to see this more!
aviick chapter 2 . 4/1
And off to the races we go! Although a short chapter, this sort of segment is a highlight of your style in that it sort of tears at the mundane and introduces to danger or the journey ahead. This time it surprised me how quickly you came to it but that's okay as this is part of a series on Mizzer and so better to hit the ground running than to delay any longer!
aviick chapter 1 . 4/1
Well from first sight it struck me as a different start than some of the other stories I have read from you; however, as is true to form with you, you provide a lot of details about the settings the storyline might take place in. Its good to see you venture into a new character plot and to build upon the Mizzer element. I would be curious to see how far or how big you can take all of it!
Sir Scott chapter 2 . 3/26
I remember the milk cartons with kids' pictures on them. You don't even see those kind of milk cartons now. I don't know if they were successful or not. Too bad Gray Wulf couldn't talk.
~Sir Scott