Reviews for Façade
GlacialStar chapter 1 . 12/27/2003
This is, without a doubt, one of the most amazing pieces of work I've ever read. :)
FairyKun chapter 1 . 4/28/2002
I think that this one is a BEST! I LOVE IT! Very nice!

peace/love
TJ White Amaris' dad chapter 1 . 4/12/2002
What a delightfully evocative piece Emerald. Since it lacks formal, metrical structure it is not easy to review, but it is remarkable for its thoughtful imagery. The poem refers (correctly) to the geisha as a performer and not a prostitute, as she is popularly believed to be. Without describing the real person under the veil, you subtly show us the geisha as an artifact. We see only this and wonder what it masks. Your geisha artfully hides herself and presents only what she wants us to see. Does she hide because she has to or does she rejoice in her deception? Is she sad? We don't know but you give us clues. Her leash and her glass case both suggest confinement. But the leash being "self-constructed" and the frosting breath being her own both hint that she chooses this. I particularly like the way you keep with glass as an image, moving from the window to the glass of the case. Above all the poem lets us see the geisha we want to see. She exists only in our perception - we DO depend on her piety, real or imagined. Not bad stuff Gao! Keep it up!
Jonathan Bruce chapter 1 . 3/11/2002
Wow! You write better poetry than me AND you know more than I do about poem structures! This poem rocks! It's so deep and wonderful and sad... simply put, this poem... ummm... rocks! Sorry, I'm not a walking Thesaurus today. But oh well. Keep up the good work!
mike chapter 1 . 3/11/2002
its a pretty nice poem- nice tone, nice image.
Sylvia chapter 1 . 3/8/2002
DAAANG. NO WONDER THIS WON. It's so pretty! And I know what a Geisha is too! Well I guess knowing what a "whore" is isn't that great... but it's a semi-complicated word. Anyway... HECKAV good. It's so pretty! Who cares if it's like 4 stanzas. QUALITY, not quantity. Go Emerald!
Xaviera Xylira chapter 1 . 3/8/2002
Of everything I've read so far (which goes beyond the two reviews I've given you already), this poem is my favorite. it's gorgeously woven to create a perfect image of a mask, hauntingly permanent, never fading, never able to be removed. excellent work, typically. truly stunning. Xavi
Amaris chapter 1 . 3/8/2002
See? I promised and I did. I'm guessing this one is Facade but it's Fa-de on my computer for some reason. The - being some random japanese character. Anyway good job on your award of being the best poem. This one's really good. I like the second paragraph and your imagery of tracing patterns on the window. You earned you award! and so...Keep up the good work!
Glass November chapter 1 . 2/25/2002
I agree...I think this is my favorite with regard to imagery and metaphors. Let's see, what can I say? Magnificent, beautiful, reminiscent, wonderful. I love! I really don't know what else to say...the English language just isn't descriptive enough sometimes.
A.J.Peart chapter 1 . 2/19/2002
Wonderful images of, what I can only assume to be, fashion models or the like. If, in fact, that is what it's about, well, I can honestly say that I totally agree with it! But the way you've written the peom says it terribly well. Then again, I could be totally wrong about it, and then I'd look like a complete fool, but that's nothing new to me. Regardless, I like it; it's very well put together.
Japanese Ghost-Chan chapter 1 . 2/5/2002
I really like the second stanza(mebbe because my CG I'm doing for art is some-what like that). And a random comment runs through my mind :we have a geishish doll thing in a glass case at our restaurant. Hehaw. Y a.. but it's a faaaabulous piece of writing! A **** out of ****! Shush now, me.
Meghanna Starsong chapter 1 . 1/29/2002
hmmmmm that's different. nice, refreshing.
Angel of Drama chapter 1 . 12/28/2001
Hi again! This is really good. I like the second stanza:

Tracing patterns on the window

frosted over with one breath

only half your face can be

seen through that icy mask

This is really cool. Keep it up! _-