Reviews for Misery
Miscellaneous chapter 1 . 1/3/2005
This was a good poem, and I can sort of see it as the middle piece of the two plays about the Shrew. After Shakespeare wrote "Shrew," 20 years later, one of his contemporaries (John Fletcher) wrote a sequel, called "A Woman's Prize, or The Tamer Tamed." Fletcher ran with the general idea of Petruchio breaking Kate and molding her into the "typical" Elizabethan high-class woman, and he eventually killed her with it.

However, I have a different view on it. Petruchio did not ruin Kate. Rather, he opened her eyes. He showed her that she would continue to lead a miserable life if she went on with her actions, but if she just toned down a bit and didn't make a federal case out of everything, she could enjoy life as she took it in stride.

Just my ramblings, don't mind me. I did like the poem itself, though.
All Mighty Terrestrial chapter 1 . 3/8/2003
Yes, I can so see Taming of the Shrew ending up like this. Nicely expressed.
Amaris chapter 1 . 2/22/2003
I like how this poem makes life to be like a play, with a "script." And yet in is "never the script it would be like this." What happens in life is unexpected, and it's probably better that way. It's short and simple - poems can often be better that way.
A.J.Peart chapter 1 . 2/21/2002
Oooo, I like the touch at the end with the whole uncertainty aspect of life. The poem is a great ironic complaint, it seems, sort of like where someone is complaining that loving someone is hard despite the fact that they can't help but do it. And then the whole not being in the script part ties it all together as though the person in the poem knows that it's the way it should be and all, but still needs to complain as though to fill a gap...maybe to make things more like a story-book ending, which I gather is what you were going for with it based on your comments prior to the poem. Great job!...oh, this time, I'm gonna give it ! more, just for good luck.
incupunk when signed in chapter 1 . 2/7/2002
i like the rhythm of the poem. keeps it going..haha bouncing on your toes...or not.
Obake-chan chapter 1 . 2/5/2002
I haven't read Taming of the Shrew.. I have no clue what this is about. And I'm not going to repeat the same compliments, so...what am I going to say? uh...maybe I should come back after I've read the book.
Sylvi chapter 1 . 1/4/2002
Tsktsktsk. Always one to ruin a "happy" ending. Not as though I've read it... but I suppose a guy "tamed" a girl that he loved and everything went happily ever after... until YOU mess around with it. Hehe. I like poetry. Can't write it, but I like it. And I like this one. Too bad it's so damn depressing! There should be sunshine, love, happiness, and good feelings all around. That is MY kind of ending...