Reviews for Paradoxum Nostri Temporis
Wu-DogHave you noticed that ny name's not consistant today chapter 1 . 4/5/2002
Dang, you're getting big reviews! Whatever happened the days when I was a long reviewer?

I think this is my favorite poem. Something hit me that said "This is how I think!" It seems like me. The "And yet we cannot fly." part esp. Beeeauuuuuutiful(that was a little of the B-ball coach)! Me loved it! Me love it! Me loves it! And second time I used that thing. Hohoho. Keep it uppp!
erisedilla chapter 1 . 4/2/2002
very kewl... philisophical... can't believe I managed to skip over your stuff for so long, SORRY! thanx for reviewing all my stuff even though I never touched yours! great job here newayz! keep up the good work )
mike chapter 1 . 3/31/2002
nice twist! i enjoyed the poem.
Glass November chapter 1 . 3/29/2002
Wonderful metaphors, and it's so true...at least in my opinion. It flows really well, and it though it doesn't rhyme, it seems like it might.

As always, I love it... I like the title, too :)
Amaris chapter 1 . 3/29/2002
Good poem. Nice analogies. I was wondering where the paradox was...then I got to the end. I think I like the end part the best, when you get to the paradox. The "poetry dribbles from our mighty pens..." paragraph kind of doesn't really match. But it is pretty good. I like the title too. Keep up the good work.
Sylvi chapter 1 . 3/29/2002
Whoah.

This sounds heckav good when written. (I have problems listening to poems). I'd have to say this is actually my favorite poem of all of yours. It reminds me of a song- "virtual insanity". It's so true though... good subject material (how do you come up with this stuff? All I can come up with is a poem about my pen...)

Btw, cute little star circle thingie!

Keep writing... and winning prizes...

-SylviJove
the Queen of Jupiter chapter 1 . 3/28/2002
Wow. Breathtaking. Beautiful. I can't come up with words enough to describe this poem. The third stanza, about poetry like nectar on the chins of gods...that was unique and amazing. The 6th stanza, about clipped wings...wow. Love how the 5th "stanza" and the 10th "stanza" rhyme. Excellent, excellent, excellent poem.
A.J.Peart chapter 1 . 3/27/2002
I like it. It's got that cynical edge to it (I think. That could be the wrong word. Mr. Writer can't think of words to use...isn't that always the case?). At any rate, I see it mocking mankind, since that's precicely that it's doing...it's painfully obvious, as opposed to just being relatively obvious, I suppose. That's the part that doesn't need to be read into it.

The funny thing is that I'm reading (among others) a book called Pilgrim by Timothy Findley (canadian author, don't know if you've heard of him. Really good author, I might add). Pilgrim is basically about Jung treating a patient named Pilgrim during the early 1900's (1912ish I think, can't remember). I don't think that it pertains at all to the poem at all, but I thought I'd mention that. However, it does go into some of Jung's theories and whatnot. Unfortunately, I'm still tired so I can't really think straight.

Also, kind of funny in that you put both Freud and Jung into a sort of parallel agreement of sorts there, when (if I'm not mistaken) they hated each other because of opposing views about sexuality and it's relationship with personality or something like that. We talked about it in psych. a while back. It was an entire lecture devoted to Freud I think, though I wouldn't want to swear to it. They're at night, so I tend to forget half of the lectures when I sleep afterwards.

Anyway, back to the poem. That Freud stuff there means nothing in relation to the poem, I just put it there to ensure that this would be a long rambling review and fit in with the majority of my other reviews. I like the rhyming lines, they fit the whole "mankind bad" typed idea.

However, I think, on a whole, the poem isn't really about mankind being bad, or something to that effect. It's more about one person "failing" in life - quotations since it would probably be only a figment of that person's imagination. That, having no actual meaning in relation to the poem, seems kind of right...or something. What does pertain to the poem I would say would be something like this:

I believe the first four stanzas deal with: birth; religion; creativity and the ability to express ourselves in the world; and regret/forgiveness.

The second group of four stanzas is a little harder to derive greater meaning from. That just means that they're more abstract almost, and it's a good thing. I suppose it could be dealing with the concept of a midlife crisis and finally the overall concept of failure in finding "her early grave" and then "the strong survive / and the weak cease to exist."

The two rhyming lines in between and at the end tie my idea of failure through the poem and make all my pointless analyzation worthwhile...sort of.

Now, to touch lightly on the title. Looking at the poem, and then my reading of it, I'd say that the title is quite fitting in that "time" can be used as a sort of metaphor to life, in a way. Then, the paradox (paradox being *opens dictionary again*: a statement that may be true but seems to say two opposite things) would be like saying that the life is a failure when it really isn't. I suppose that could be a little far fetched, but it makes sense to me.

Now I've gone and ranted for half an hour about this and completely put off my latin homework again. I'd better get busy working on that and let you get back to doing something more important thatn reading this dribble.

I give it an "!" about the size it appears there, since anything more would cause my computer to crash. It's such a hunk of junk that I can easily overexert the thing by simply pressing the wrong button at the wrong time. It often makes typing a bit of a pain, but it hasn't done so yet today. I've got my fingers crossed, but it probably wont matter. However, I will point out that the "!," if my computer was capable, it would be the size of all my reviews put one on top of the other. I believe that's rather huge, though I could be wrong.

Crap, now I think I'm in trouble...it's sooo easy to do that I don't even have to try anymore! Wow! Oh, wait, maybe THAT's why I'm in trouble... anyway, I've got to get my latin homework done, and before I can do that I have to get my feet out of my mouth, so I'll call it a night and stay up for a few more hours. Adios!