Reviews for Goddess
Amaris chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Once again, I like this one because of the references to Greek mythology. "My lips his coffin," creates a lot of imagery in the mind, a bit creepy in a way. In the second to last line shouldn't it be "arrives" rather than "arrived?"
Amber Moon chapter 1 . 6/2/2002
That was really good, great and awesome in fact, some excellent imagery and great use of vocabulary...hehe...haven't posted myself (in reply to your info) for awhile...been out of the loop.

anyways-awesome job, bjillion thumbs up.
little miss muffet chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
Wow, blow my mind much? V. plath-ic (heh) it's well wicked. Cool use of greek mythology, and the language usage is brilliant, it all fits together wonderfully. Tres (with an accent;) bien
Impressionist chapter 1 . 4/17/2002
very well done. I just finished a lengthy study on greek mythology *glares at english teacher*, so I somewhat understand it. I lvoe your writing. heh, and you always review my stuff, so I'm in your debt. anayways, lunch bell just rang. have a gooder
Sylvi chapter 1 . 4/14/2002
Hiya again!

Hey you. You're improving with every poem. This is really good stuff.

Scary, granted... but it's GOTTA be well written to scare me this much. I like all this roman or greek mythology stuff... used to love reading about this when I was little.

Have a happy day! It's SUNDAY!
Xaviera Xylira chapter 1 . 4/13/2002
Well. I'm awestruck. If that was random, then I think I'd love to see more randomness from you. To me, I got a feeling of despair, and the narrorator was... i think, because this is how it seemed to me, that the narrorator was possibly returning to a place from his/her memory, or past, or even perhaps some place where a battle took place, and the outcome wasn't that great. and she's reminicising about perhaps a broken love (the Hades part) and then how you've linked the gods and goddesses into this is really brilliant... I love how you refer Cerebrus as a "trinity of jaws"... I particularly love the last stanza though. I think the weeds are probably humanity in general and the acid rain is the impure and wrong ideals and principles of societry today, and how most of us are hoping that we'll be spared when judgement day, and then the very last line is basically a stab at everyone else, saying that he/she will take great joy in seeing the destruction of a pathetic people who get what they deserve.

So maybe I'm a little morbid.

And probably completely wrong about this brilliant poem, but that's how I see it. *shrugs* oh well. I have to go though. later! Xavi
Amaris chapter 1 . 4/12/2002
This one I didn't really find a deep meaning to it...not all of it seemed connected. It was kinda neat how it was like a bunch of differnt views in one poem (I don't know if this is making sense as I write it...but it makes sense in my head - it is a compliment btw) I think the second paragraph is good about the aborted children dancing and describing their toys.
A.J.Peart chapter 1 . 4/8/2002
Well, I didn't tear up that last poem as much as I probably could have, but this! This is just pure analytical gold! I'm afraid I might just have to have a little fun with it! It reminds me of the kind of thing that I might write!

Stanza 1:

Memories on bitersweet lane. Sounds like the sort of thing you'd find when reliving, or revisiting the past...go fig, eh? Flames, fire, burning, pain...painful memories, hurtful memories, the kind that you don't want to remember because they're...bitersweet! Again, go fig! The "fairy touches" struck me as odd, and I'm not sure what to make of them except to relate them to the ferryman later in the poem, where we simply have the homonym thing to link them...oh well. The last little bit is getting rid of the memories, though they're "tortured" memories, which suggests that they're not entirely bad, that the memories themselves have memories that are haunting them, or some other sort of torment that is worse than the memories themselves. I don't know, that's kind of far fetched, I suppose, but hey! Who knows? I might be right.

Stanza 2:

Space and time, bruises in space like dark spots that would be invisible...unless, they aren't really bruises! Gasp! Swirls and nebulas, resident things which scatter the universe. Nebulas, if I'm not mistaken, are the birthplace of stars, where they swirl together in a gravimetric thingy (I like sounding scientifically knowledgable, though that's what I've managed to scrounge together from TV and a small handful of sci/fi books). I guess, if I'm right, than that ties in the aborted children, stars that are born dead, thus a nice little solid dark smear in the universe...like a bruise...it all comes together in the end, don't it? Dead children can't have toys now, can they? I'd say that those three lines are sorta about the fact that the kid may be dead, but the parents will never forget it.

Stanza 3:

The opening lines show a contradiction, where the narrator says there's no meaning left to friendship..."except"...that kind of thing. It comes off as the sort of excuse we give ourselves to justify our decision to do something we know to be foolish or wrong, in a moral sense. Sewing the mouth shut implies the loss of free speach or just that the narrator feels there's no point in speaking anymore, something like that. Hades, Satan, the Devil...not all exactly the same, but they might as well be, if you ask me. Red, blood, death...meeting the Devil in Hell... being FOUND by the Devil in Hell... becoming a sexual slave to Him. It seems as though the narrator is finding herself (assumption) is a relationship of sorts, where he (Hades) is like a sickness, a monster that is treating her like a prostitute of sorts. If I brought Paradise Lost into this, it would be sorta strange that you use this, since Satan, when arriving at the gates of Hell, meets Sin, a past "lover" of sorts, but he doesn't recognise her. This just seems somewhat remeniscent of that.

Stanza 4:

The lips bleeding when the heart is ripped out... Sounds like a metaphor: the heart being ripped out being like being hurt emotionally by this Hades character while the lips bleeding aspect represents the embrace that was/is shared between "Hades" and the narrator. However, the coffin and the blood imagery suggest vampirism, though the fingernails didn't do much good in keeping this undead Hades creature locked in his grave. The infant widow... new to death, or newly widowed, something like that maybe. drowning and waiting for Cerberus to come along, these are interesting images. Depending on the guard dog of Hell to save her from the river, the road to the underworld... of course, once in this river, one surely cannot drown, so that part is like putting emphasis on the fact that we all would feel like we were drowing even if it were impossible. It draws a more lifely and human characteristic into this newly dead character, or at least, a character that is loosing herself in the horror of Hell.

Stanza 5:

Cerberus on sick leave, figures. The irony of life could only guarentee that the guard that keeps the living from entering and the dead from exitting Hell would not be there when needed, or even when not needed. Gotta love irony! Here arrives the ferryman I mentioned in my thing about the first stanza, where now it is only he who saves the narrator, when before the "fairy" bit was causing torture to the narrator. The narrator then replaces those who came before her: Orpheus who went in search of his wife; Persephone who was taken to be Hades' wife. Both were alive when entering Hell, which suggests that the narrator too is alive at this point, but going mad it would seem.

Stanza 6:

Returning home. What sort of journey would be complete without returning home in some manner of way? I mean, it could be argued that reincarnation occurs and that it would be the returning home aspect of the journey through life. Actually, that's very much like what this could represent here, though the road is "neglected" which usually would mean that it wasn't used very often. This means to me that she is returning with the knowledge of the past, more wooden memories perhaps, though she returns with the ability to guide the rest of us through Hell. Here is where my analysis will end and I'll have to make myself a little closing statement to finish it all off.

It is my belief that this is a poem about "hitting rock bottom" (something I feel like I did just yesterday), meaning that every ounce of energy, every bit of life or the will to live has been drained away, and that the only thing left is the urge to die. It's the sort of feeling that can pass, but sometimes people need guidance to help them. The narrator here has hit rock bottom, gone through hell, lost her mind, wanted to die (in a manner of thinking), but regained herself, returned to the land of the living, or the sane/less depressed, only to have the experience on how to cope with hitting rock bottom. Plus, once you've hit the bottom, there's nowhere to go but up (been there at least twice myself). It's a very scarry time, at least, it is for other people. They always want to know what's wrong and how they can help. They even try to help. Sometimes, though, the help doesn't help - it makes things worse - but it's wrong to tell them, right? It's wrong to tell them that they're doing more harm than good...

Anyway! Um, okay, where was I? Oh yes, she's made a very treaturous journey into the very depths of the psyche that no one should ever have to go, and returned to tell about it. She's more knowledgable and therefore a guide to those who end up following in her footsteps. Everyone needs a helping hand sometimes, and every hand that helps is a valuable one. Something like that...

Okay, now I've gone and gotten a little carried away, and I think I've made my point in the mix of it all. So, that being said and done, I shall grant this poem:

!

a bunch of those, and then carry on my way.

TTYL
mike chapter 1 . 4/6/2002
very... umm... what can i say? kinda funny/sick. how many magazines of JTHM did you read before you wrote this? but anyways... interesting poem, to say the least. (that means, in this case, smile, nod and back away) uhh... thats all.
Obake-chan chapter 1 . 4/5/2002
Hehe. Cool. And I liked the "they sewed my mouth up with ribbon!-" Kakakaka. That's a pretty cool thing(not that I want that to ever happen to me). Me especially liked the overall flow of this one. It reminds me of one character in my mind. Hohohohohohoho. And I like her, so, hehe. Me liked. Me like. Me likes.
allie cole chapter 1 . 4/5/2002
*blink...blink...* Jesus, I'm blown away here! If only I knew who all the mythical beings were...I know a handful, but I bet I'd understand it more if I knew them all. But besides that, this is AWESOME! I kind of see this as brutal honesty and truth, in the form of metaphors (I love the utter irony and contradiction in that sentence). I like the ending line too, it's unexpected, actually, but at the smae time it's perfectly appropriate for the whole poem. 15 minutes hey? Beat my record. :) Ciao for now

-ali