Reviews for Of the Meaning of Fear
Avelyne chapter 1 . 11/14/2007
I kind of agree on what your syaing, I've read many books several in which wher rated to fill you with horror or be thrilling. None the less they weren't all that great. I liked how you described horror and what it's trying to imitate though.
carmice3 chapter 1 . 1/26/2004
Allow me to answer if I can. Read my stuff if you want to check my credentials.
Any good horror is more than simply inducing fear in the hearts of a reader. If it only does that it is a self-defeating art form. The reader becomes desensitised and eventually what once was fearful is no longer so. The point of good horror is to aid in the feelings of empathy a reader feels toward a character. Readers become most involved when they think for the character; when they imagine themselves in his or her place. If fear is induced, it means that the writer has succeeded, and there is a bond between reader and character.
Horror and fear are not ends in themselves. As well as drawing the reader in, they also keep the reader hooked. But hooked to what? This is why there needs to be more than just horror in a horror story. The purpose of the horror is to aid the other parts of the story: character relationships, tragedy, triumph, etc. Like the comic: “Thirty days of night”. It has much gore, but the overwhelming them is in fact the triumph of the human spirit, and the struggle to regain lost humanity. Or the Stephen King book: “The Tommy knockers” which incorporates very similar themes. In its struggle to frighten us, horror is also teaching us very important lessons about ourselves and about literature.
But remember, that’s good horror, not cheap horror. That stuff’s rubbish, in that it misses the deeper meanings.
Mistress Jakira chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
I agree. I'm not much on horror, either...it doesn't do anything for me. I didn't find this confusing at all, actually-I often find myself thinking about such things. My sister is really into Stephen King, so I've stopped to think about it before; you're right, I don't think it's real fear. My theory, though, is that in the horror genre some people do find real fear, but those who don't thus can't find any interest in the genre, since fear is its whole purpose. By the way, disgust doesn't pass for fear to me, either. XD I haven't seen many horror movies that didn't focus on the blood and gore, so maybe that's the big problem. Who knows? I think you put some good ideas on the table here; gives me something to think about. _ I'm glad you decided to share. :) ~MJ
Sarah Parker chapter 1 . 7/13/2002
I'm glad you shared. I agree. "Or maybe I'm just a little out of my mind" - I agree with that, too. *giggles*