Reviews for The Rowanoak Chronicles
BobWhite chapter 4 . 3/27/2010
I like the style of the book so far... I presume we will be getting back to how one battles wasps with arrows. But Chapter 4 was quite an exciting and enjoyable little story in and of itself. Kind of like an episode on the old TV series, "Wild, wild, west". Everything would freeze framd, then collage with earlier parts of the show before going to commercial... kind of like, "To be continued...
BobWhite chapter 3 . 3/16/2010
I found a couple of grammar faults, but figure these will be worked out by an editor later (I found the same in the "Sabre" chapter, but cnnot remember precisely where they are. Besides, I am reading for content and character development as you asked. Gideon seems a very odd character, with his Olde English speech. I don't know what to make of it at this point. (Going to bed now as it's late (1230 AM) and i have to work tomorrow.
BobWhite chapter 2 . 3/16/2010
what I liked about the "Sabre" Chapter: not too many characters all at once. The mysterious element of having the female character, Zia, who is mute and therefore communicates with ways other than verbal, and that she stands between Sabre and Hunter, a friend to them both while they are former friends but now making an alliance just for the sake of what? Survival?

What I didn't like (just personal preference, not a literary "flaw" (as if I could recognize one): The rivalry or the friendship gone bad between Sabre and Hunter seems pretty tame and not really convincing at this point.

and one neutral observation (we'll see how it goes)... I don't know the "age" of the characters, maybe mid-to-late twenties... At that age I had close friends who were female who I assume, well I "know" now nearly 40 years later, that they also considered me a good friend. but for me, and I think for many guys, there was always a sometimes-not-well-hidden sexual tension on my part. some were unaware, some politely ignored it, I dated some at the time or maybe a couple years later, always Platonically... but maybe was not always our mutual goal to keep it Platonic. But as I said, we'll see how this goes in further chapters.
Ryumasa the Ryuhaitou chapter 14 . 2/15/2007
YES! I finally got on, thanks to one of campus' computers! Waiting in line here at the library was worth it!

Amazing chapter; Zia using magic comes at no surprise, but she was cool this entire chapter. The fight scene was really well done, too.

I don't have time to continue, since I have another class to get to/there'll be a line behind ME soon enough, but I'll definately read more as soon as I can. At long last, til next chapter, seeya!
Dhul Fiqar chapter 6 . 12/30/2006
Much better description in this chapter, though still got a little trouble visulising characers. Like the mystery about the wrists here, though I got no dea what the reaosn is...
Dhul Fiqar chapter 4 . 12/30/2006
Ok, you might know this or not care, but some of your names have been used before...

Tirean is the prince in CS Lewis's The Last Battle.

Sloan is the butcher in Chris Paolini's Eragon

Garnet is a princess in one of the FF games

Its sad that i know that, I know
Dhul Fiqar chapter 3 . 12/29/2006
Better chapter I reckon. Um- you could give some more description on characters though. What siort of armour is Gideon wearing, for example.
Dhul Fiqar chapter 2 . 12/29/2006
Good story- check spellings. Hunter and Sabre are well thought out characters, bu the row between them is a little quick to be resolved- I think loves a nioce long row,, and its a bit quick.
Tech-and-Magic chapter 3 . 11/4/2006
Mansi is a very well written and engaging character. I enjoyed reading her very much.

One big problem in this chapter though... I sure hope there is only one vase in the town Brazeon. That it's obviously displayed in the middle of town, and that this is common knowledge to the two mercenaries...Cause they did not ask for any info about this vase nor did their employer give them one single detail on how to go about obtaining it. Not an address to go to, nor a person to talk to. Not even a basic description of what it looks like. I just don't see how this job would be considered possible by any mercenary under those circumstances.

Will we ever get to see Gideon without the helmet on? You have me all curious as to why he always whares it. Also again the description was top notch I never have any problems with visualisation the scene and settings in the story so far.
Tech-and-Magic chapter 2 . 11/4/2006
Very strong descriptively. I could easily visualise the surroundings. Weaker with the dialogue though. I had a hard time buying the conversation Hunter and Saber had. I guess I get needing to quickly get then to the point you need them at while also wanting some kind of past conflict, but it all seemed kind of forced and sudden.
Speaker of the Dragons Fanfictionnet chapter 3 . 10/6/2006
Nice story! I really, really like it. When Gideon said 'A man upstars is going to higher us' or something like that, I think you meant 'Hire'. Love the story, though!
Imaginary Rose chapter 9 . 9/27/2006
Interesting, but I still must say you need to work on your description. I don't have a clue what Samuel looks like and I just recently discovered Neil has a beard.
Imaginary Rose chapter 8 . 9/27/2006
Very interesting. I wonder if Sabre, Hunter, or Zia will find out about the imposter before the get to the castle.
Imaginary Rose chapter 7 . 9/24/2006
I hope you eventually explain Gideon's background or the way he talks will get annoying.
Imaginary Rose chapter 6 . 9/24/2006
At the beginning you say that Hunter is on guard, but then you say he 'trust everything that was seemingly peaceful'; it's confusing.

Hm I wonder who's in the room next to them.

Loved this chapter.