Reviews for Sundays In The Attic
greenbanana chapter 1 . 1/16/2005
scary... you never can trust them religious folks..
Amelia Mangan chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
An excellent story, wonderfully written and heartbreaking. The guilelessness in Kirsty-Anne's voice, her earnestness and candour, serve to make her utterly endearing; you find yourself wanting to protect her, not only against her father's physical abuse but against the poison he has already poured into her young mind. Her nascent thoughts of vengeance at the story's end may symbolise either her redemption or her ultimate destruction as a person - or both.

A wrenching tale, subtly and beautifully told; were it only longer (say, a novel - hint, hint), I'd venture to say that it would be worthy of favorable comparison to Dorothy Allison's "Bastard Out of Carolina", or Joyce Carol Oates' "First Love". All in all, just terrific work.
restless-wandering chapter 1 . 1/24/2003
wow, interesting religion...
Willum chapter 1 . 10/19/2002
Excellent and disturbing, Megan. Undoubtedly, there are still people (not just girls) in situations similair to this.

It's clear, to me at least, that by the end of the story, Kirsty-Anne is beginning to have thoughts that may one day lead her to rebeling against Da.

That'd be an interesting story...hint, hint.
account inactive00000 chapter 1 . 9/1/2002
Oh this is wonderful prose!

Ack, almost as good as your poetry. So scary and cool and twisted and wonderful!

(btw: I love Neil Gaiman. Have you read 'American Gods'? That's my favorite of his)
Finn Mac Cool chapter 1 . 8/9/2002
Depraved, depressing, demented, disturbing, and damn good!
Moonstrike chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
So I checked out this story. Good beginning. Simply because it's quite vague, and it keeps the reader interested. The first line acts well as a hook because there are several questions the reader will be asking themselves. "Why would grandpa be up in the attic with chickens?" followed by "What would he be doing with the chickens?" Also you've told the reader that it's a habit of his by saying mentioning that the lights are on "again". The image of the "humped silhouette" is amazing. It really works well and gives a sinister and darker look to the story in the reader's head. It reminds me of the old black-and-white vampire movies, where Dracula stalks the women's bedrooms.

The use of colloquialisms (not sure if I spelled that right) such as "Da" and the diction etc make the dialogue much mroe realistic. They're sort of hill-billies, right?

The way you show Da's fanatic religious beliefs and habits through Kirsty-Anne is brilliant. For instance, how would she know what the word "corrupt" would mean? She doesn't appear educated enough to. And from the impression I get, her father wouldn't spend two seconds educating her more than is necessary. So therefore, the reader can only take it that she's simply repeating things that her father says.

Also, going on the way they speak, the reader assumes that Da himself is simply repeating the words from somewhere else (Church or the Bible or something some priest said some day), because by the way they speak and the way he acts (eg scratching hismelf with a fork) you assume that the word "corrupt" and such like are too complicated for him to simply say off-hand like that. He memorised them. Such words are simply not in his dictionary. It just goes to show something about the character. Subtle but effective.

I have a criticism at this point. The term "hell-filled" is bad. It's a made-up term that doesn't work at all. Hell is a place or a state depending on what you would believe. Saying something is "hell-filled" just doesn't work. However, you could say that the home is 'hellish'. That would be good. You could also refer to the Bible for tips on other adjectives. For instance, look at how the Bible describes the people of Babylon or something. You'll find lots of nice juicy words that Da can use, and at the same time, making his religious ferver believable. In fact, you could have him quoting. Lord! Quoting is a sure sign of a fanatic.

Ah. Nothing better to read than a hypocritical religious fanatic. Alcoholic is he?

I'm wondering if that is the end. It would certainly make a good first chapter. I know I'm hooked. However, as a story, I simply can't see what you're trying to say. Every story, no matter how short has something to say. Perhaps it's just a flash-scene in the life of one abused girl. From the start to the end nobody's attitude, behaviour or view has changed. I'm not getting a sense of conclusion. So I guess, perhaps you're not finished.

But so far it's good. Kirsty-Anne is a very believable character. And so is Da. Nothing makes a better story than one with disturbed characters.
Mad chapter 1 . 8/8/2002
Wow... that was good. Kinda surreal and haunting. :)
ashley chapter 1 . 8/7/2002
Wow...

This a great story. Very well written. I was transfixed all the way through it...