Reviews for Melville In Baltimore
unexpected source chapter 1 . 9/12/2002
strikingly melville.

the egalitarian is both true, and frighteningly could almost be good. a state of fixity between

many poets, to make one larger whole?

could, invoking nonetheless!

kai
Kirney Slate chapter 1 . 9/8/2002
Well, you are the only poet I know that can use both equanimity and egalitarian in a poem.

I loved the use of adj. in this poem: "the smoggy lowing... city with sullied gray... plasticine whales... great hairbursh mouths."

very spisific, without feeling too placed.

And these lines: "and how egalitarian our poetry has allowed itself to/ erupting become."

Wow. I'm not sure I understand your use of egalitarian in that way but it caught my attention. And made me get a dictionary.

Your poetry seems, to me, too be teetering on the edge of falling apart. But it doesn't, and so it's beautiful. I'm not sure I can voice this right, but here goes. It's like you are telling me something, in different ways, and I'm either deaf, or stupid, and I don't get it. And your poetry is trying to tell me of a city. of Melvile. Of a tiny biologist. It's very beautiful. Sparse without trying to be, stark without being bare. Wonderful.

-kirney
star65 chapter 1 . 9/8/2002
Very tired and lonely poem. Gorgeous imagery, I loved the use of marine life. Excellent and well-done! Keep writing!