Reviews for The Ferryman
Katsuhiro chapter 1 . 6/26/2004
If one knows anything of mythology then any twist in this story is lost instantaneously by the title. Even so, this is an entertaining, if a little depressing, piece that's short and sweet. There's none of the Homer-esque "and Dawn arrived fresh and Rosy-fingered" shite that a lot of less competant writers try to emulate. Badly.
So hats off to you lass, you don't indulge in the shite regurgitation when given the opportunity.
Out of curiosity - did you concentrate on the Homeric version of the Underworld or Virgil's, the one that takes place in the Aeneid? I always thought Virgil's was far more appealing - at least in his version the truly evil are punished (Tartarus) and the truly noble are rewarded (Elysium fields). I just want to know which image appeals to you more, as you're evidently an intelligent person.
Diana Shore chapter 1 . 2/5/2004
Oh, that was kind-of eerie, but well written. I'd give you high marks for this assignment if I were your teacher.
Mistress Jakira chapter 1 . 11/8/2002
((**MORE SPOILERS SORRY :(**))

Hey there! This is the author (duhr); just summing up for those who have questions similar to those of Mashin-san.

a) The issue of proper burial I didn't directly address here, and I didn't tell how Perneus died or what all happened. I did that deliberately. So there's an argument there, but technically, he could have had a proper burial.

b) Though heroes can also pass across the Styx (and come back), Perneus wasn't intended to be a hero. He didn't knowingly go to the Styx, nor did he seem to have any type of mission going there to begin with. So it's just assumed that he's died and just arrived at the Styx, confused. I tried to imply that he had a sudden, unexpected death and that he was baffled, but maybe that didn't come across.

These are good questions, by the way, kudos to Mashin-san for asking them. If anyone else has any other questions, feel free to ask. _ Thanks again! MJ
Kesshi Mashin chapter 1 . 10/26/2002
Hey MJ. Never actually got around to reading this before, but now I'm glad I did. _ It's very well written, and there aren't any grammar mistakes (as far as I can tell), so that makes this even better! But I'm a bit hazy about the mythology part.

*SPOILER ALERT!* *SPOILER ALERT!*

I hate it when the reviews spoil the story. *shrugs* Anywho, about the whole Charon and the River Styx dealy. I thought that the unburied, at least in Roman mythology, couldn't cross the river without a proper burial. (I'm assuming that the Greeks and Romans share similar afterlife beliefs) Also, the dead aren't the only ones who can cross the river Styx. Heroic persons favored by and/or with bloodties to Zeus/Jove can cross, albeit with some difficulty (not to mention all the preparation beforehand, it's just such a hassle... ).

Sorry, just had to ask; my Epic Hero class is covering ancient Greek and Roman epic poems (The Iliad, Odyssey, and Aeneid). Anywho, just wanted to ask about those two things. Other than that, just remember that you've got some talent there. Don't just sit around; keep on writing! Ja MJ!

Kess