Y'know, I had always thought it would be awesome to have the whole world to myself. Oh, you wanna know my name? Don't worry about my name. Call me whatever you like. You can call me John Travolta if it'll make you happy, he's not around anymore to complain. But yeah, the idea is somewhat appealing: run of the whole world, can do anything you want without having to worry about anybody not liking it or anything bad coming out of it. Sure, in theory it may seem tempting. But I've been there, it's not fun. Hell, I'm still there, it sucks. If yer reading this, I'd like to tell you just how damned lucky you are to have the people around you that you do. You can't even begin to imagine how lonely the world is without friends or family. So you see, now that it's happening to me and I really am the only person left on earth, I'd like to tell you first hand why life isn't worth living without anybody else in it. It's the worst experience I've ever had in my life; and here's my story. . .

Day 1: The Revelation

The day started out just like any other day. I opened my eyes and was immediately greeted by the blinding light of the sun over the horizon. It's the middle of summer, so school was out for another two months. But now it looks like it's gonna be out forever. After toying with the idea of getting up for the better part of an hour I finally got up; one-thirty in the afternoon. I threw on the same clothes I wore yesterday. Not like anybody was gonna care, I didn't plan on going anywhere anyway. Mom wasn't home. I wasn't surprised, she said yesterday that she might be called in to work skeleton crew today. The house was dead silent, no laundry running in the washer or dryer, no TV playing to itself, no annoying beep of a missed message on the phone, not even the usual annoying howl of the neighbor's dog. Me and mom had lived on our own since dad died a few years back. Even though dad had said he wanted her to move on and find somebody else, for my sake if nothing else, she never did. Mom never got over his death, I did after the second year or so without him. I'm eighteen now, about to be a freshman in college. Well, was about to be a freshman in college anyway; before this whole damned mess came around.

I turned on the TV as I came downstairs (the only thing upstairs was my room and a bathroom) only to find static. That in itself was weird; the cable guy had been by yesterday to fix the problem. I flipped through a few channels to find blue screens and off -air signals. Seeing as I was still half asleep it didn't really faze me. The remote bounced as I tossed it onto the couch and made my way into the kitchen for a late breakfast. There was no note from mom attached to the fridge, I shrugged it off. Not like I was a kid anymore, I had been pretty much supporting myself for the past year. Frozen pizza could be found on the top shelf beside the milk. It took me a few minutes to decide whether I wanted the pizza or the milk and finally settled on both. Why was it so quiet? I placed the items on the table and opened up the window, looking outside down the street. No cars honking, no children playing ball in the streets, no dogs barking. Dead silence. Don't get me wrong, the silence was nice. But at the same time, it was kinda unnerving. Finally deciding enough was enough, I put AC/DC into the CD player and cranked up the speakers before heating my pizza. As I ate my quick lunch/breakfast, I kept staring at the phone. Maybe a part of me was hoping mom would call and tell me everything was alright; that I was just imagining the silence. It never happened. I rinsed off my plate and stuck it in the sink, then headed back to my room to grab my wallet. There was nothing else to do, so I thought I'd take a little drive around town. It was quite possible the drive would do me good, reassure me in the fact that people still existed. I fished my keys outta my pocket and made my way back downstairs and out the front door. My car wasn't anything fancy, a black '90 Cavalier with a red stripe running down the side; standard. I jumped in the driver's seat and started up the engine. My stereo came on as static and I quickly pushed in whatever CD happened to be in the mouth of the player; Led Zeppelin. The car pulled outta the driveway and I drove slowly down my street. Nothing moved. Where were all the kids? It was Saturday still, wasn't it? No kids outside playing on a sunny Saturday afternoon? Please don't tell me I'm the only one that sees something wrong with that. But I kept driving, thinking it would get better when I got downtown.

The drive was even more unnerving than the silence. I had scanned everywhere for anything living. No birds, no dogs. But worst of all: there weren't any other cars. The traffic lights were still operating, and I continued to obey them even though I didn't see anybody else on the roads. When I finally reached the downtown district, I pulled over and stopped the car. Something was definitely wrong. After the engine died I was once again surrounded by dead silence. Even now I don't have a clue as to what's going on. I'm not gonna lie, by this time I was scared shitless. And I was tired of waiting on mom; I pulled out my cell and dialed up her work. Busy. That made me feel a little better. The phone wouldn't be busy unless there was somebody using it, right? I decided I'd walk over to mom's place. It was only a few blocks away and I wanted to take a closer look around. Five minutes walking on those silent streets and I was about ready to turn tail and run back home. It was like a bad movie. That was about the time I became a nervous wreck and decided to try to find somebody.

"Hello?" My voice reverberated off the sides of the buildings, back to me and down the street. The only response I got was the return to silence. I kept walking as I scanned the buildings for anybody. There was a café coming up on my right, I ran down the street to it and peered into the window. Nobody there, not a soul. By this time mom's work was right across the street. I ran inside the office building and looked over at the reception desk. There wasn't anybody at the desk. I ignored it, thinking it might have something to do with working a skeleton crew, and made my way to the elevator. When the doors opened I stepped inside and hit the button for the fourth floor. Mom's phone was busy, she had to be there. The doors opened again after a moment and I found myself looking down an empty hallway. Everything was silent, everything was desolate. I ran down the hall to mom's office and threw the door open. Disbelief crossed my features when I saw her phone resting on the desk beside the base. After a few minutes I finally willed myself to move and walked over to the desk, slowly hanging up the phone. Where was mom? I looked out her window down the street. There were a few cars parked along the sides of the streets, but none moved, there were no signs of life anywhere. Finding mom had been my first instinct. I think I read that in my psychology book somewhere: that you always look for a parent in times of need. Or maybe I'm just making things up. Whatever, I still ended up leaving the office with a heavy heart. Once I got back out onto the street, I stopped and looked around.

"Can anybody hear me!?" The same stillness. Nothing moved, what the hell is going on!? Suddenly, like the rush you get from a swift punch to the gut, it hit me. Nobody can hear me; nobody is going to respond to my cries because there is nobody to respond. I am alone. And suddenly, the world seems much larger. And much more frightening. Dammit, I promised myself I wouldn't cry again after dad died. But it's just so hard to keep from it. I'm even crying now as I write it down. Mom, you told me you wouldn't leave, no matter what. And that even if you passed on you would stay with me. But mom, I just can't feel your presence anymore. I must've cried myself to sleep right there on the side of the street, because I can't remember doing anything else after that. I don't know how I can keep going like this. . .I miss you mom. . .