Kawika Myers
Narrative Paper - First Draft

Space and Time Ripped Asunder: My 3 days in 1968

It all started on the tour of Area 50.5, the closest to Area 51 the government ever let anyone get. The tour was, of course, boring, so I decided too take a little detour. Checking to see if there were any cameras around, I ducked into a secluded storage warehouse. At least, that's what I thought at the time. After my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I gasped. There, right there standing in front of me, was the most gigantic, enormous TV I have ever been privileged lay eyes upon. All of a sudden, the lights came on. Blinded by the suddenness of it, I turned and ran...right into the General. Of course, being as brave as I am, I fainted. However, before I lost consciousness, I noticed a light shine from my watch when it touched whatever the General was carrying. Then, darkness.

When I came to, there was a bright light. I almost thought I was dead for a second. As soon as I figured out that I was not dead and stopped screaming bloody murder, I looked around at my surroundings. I appeared to be in the same room that I fainted in, with the General standing over me. The General!!! Jumping up, I snapped to a salute. After remembering I wasn't in the Army (and that I was still to young anyway) I relaxed, realized that I had trespassed on government property, and, with my face full of fear, whispered, "Shit."

It turns out that I was not in as much trouble as I first thought, except for one thing: my watch. What he told me was that my watch had broken a highly experimental portable time device, which, surprisingly, decided to fuse with my watch, giving the ability to travel through time for one day and also that as soon as I left, no one would remember a thing. After deliberating for a while, I decided to see what my dad was like at my age of 15. After making a promise to give the General my watch when I returned, I set the it, opened the portal, and stepped through to Cooksville, Tennessee, 1968.

Having come out of the portal, the first thing that came to my mind was how different it looked back then. The houses actually had yards, the people were friendly, and my dad was nowhere in sight. So I stopped the next person who came past and asked if they knew a Benny Glen Myers. Much to my surprise, the teen turned towards me and stated, "That would be me."

"How do you know me,"he inquired.

"Well you're not going to believe me, but I will tell you anyway," I replied. So I told him. After I finished, he didn't believe me, but he trusted me, so we hung out for a while at the malt shop. He bought me a soda, we found a booth and started talking. When he seemed comfortable enough I started asking him questions.

"So what do you want to be when you grow up," I asked.

"Hmm...well...actually, I want to be an accountant."
"I want to be a physicist," I thought. Then I asked, "What do you do to earn your spneding money?"

"Well, there is not much to do other then mow lawns and rake leaves, although I do work as a caddy at the private golf and country club, which pays 3 dollars for every nine holes I caddy."

"Not much different in the future," I thought after he answered. Pressing on, I asked"What do you do for fun?"

"Boy Scouts every Monday at 7:00 plus the usual games of tag, hide- and-seek, and army. Also, I like to ride my bike that I bought for $15 with the money from my caddy job. I ride that bike everywhere."

The questioning continued in much of the same fashion until Dad remembered dinner. "Ah, man," he moaned, "Mom is going to chew my hide if I'm late."

With that, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. As soon as he was out of sight, I set my watch to the present, activated, and stepped through the portable, which closed right after. Somewhere close to home, Dad stumbled at the exact moment the portal closed. Getting up, dusting himself off, and continuing his mad dash towards home, he forgot all about the stranger from the future.

Meanwhile, back in 2004, I stepped back through the portal. Seeing the General looking at me expectantly, I remembered my promise. So I took off the watch, handed it to him, and started making my way back to the entrance.

The General, after inspecting the watch, found that it wouldn't respond. "Wait boy," he called after me. I froze and turned around, thinking I was in trouble again. "I can't use this watch and I do not think any of my subordinates can, either," He declared, tossing the watch back to me, "Take good care of it."

I strapped the watch back on my wrist, snapped to a sharp salute, and shouted back, "Thank you, sir. I will." Turning back once again, I walked out the of the warehouse and ran back to the tour group.