Chapter three…

It was the middle of October and my dad was still in Denver Colorado. He said that Grandpa wasn't doing well and the doctors think he will die any day. I felt horrible. I was sick to my stomach. At school people knew my grandpa was sick so they would ask me about him. I would just smile and say he's going to die soon, but at least he would be happier. This is not how I felt. I wanted him to be better. Every night I would cry myself to sleep. I felt guilty. I was laughing with my friends at school while he could be breathing his last breath.

I found out one day, around five p.m. after school, that my Grandpa Pat had died. I cried for at least an hour strait. I was trying to figure out what I was going to say at school. I tried the breath but I just couldn't stop thinking about what went on. My mom wrote a note for me and my sisters saying we couldn't finish our homework due to the lose in our family. I felt as if things were getting worse by the minute.

At school the next day I kept to myself. I was quiet in the morning and I quickly packed up my stuff for class. When the announcements came on, the principal, Mrs. Hagar, said that Mr. Gallagher, my dad's, father died. She asked everyone to stand up and pray for him. In the classroom everyone looked at me. During the prayer I was fine. I sat down and then people came up to me and asked, "When did he die?" and "are you okay?" I couldn't take it anymore. My eyes filled with tears quickly. I looked around but my vision was so blurry from the tears, I couldn't find the tissue box. I didn't know what to do. I remembered from movies where they run out of the room crying. Well that's what I did. Kimberly ran after me trying to calm me down. The bathroom I ran to was locked so I had to go to the little kid's bathroom. A guy in my class, Kevin, saw me with my eyes all red and my skin all blotchy and he gave me a weird look. I went to the bathroom and cooled off. After a while I was fine.

When I got home, I didn't tell my mom that I cried. I couldn't. I went strait to my room and did homework. People told me that they wouldn't have done homework but I had to. I had to keep myself busy. I couldn't think. I just wrote and wrote. I didn't care if I was doing it wrong.

After a few days, my sisters, my mom, and I flew to Colorado for his funeral. We stayed at my Grandma's house. It was hard to back there. I had so many memories of my grandpa in that house; it was just too hard to bear. When we arrived at their house it was already dark out. My Aunts and uncles were already here, with their children; my cousins. I came in to find my dad and my grandma on the couch watching the original "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". I finally got settled in and went to bed.

The next morning I awoke to the sound of little kids playing, screaming, and crying. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't, so I got up. My cousins, Rielly and Owen, were all like "Meaghan, Meaghan! Come play with us!!" I live in California so in Colorado the time was different. It was 5 o'clock in the morning my time. I told them I had to wake up a little before I could play. I saw my Aunt Kathy nursing my cousin Elle who was only one. I sat by her and talked for a while. I got up and I went to talk to my Aunt Mic, who was watching her son, Declan, who was two. Owen, who was five, was Aunt Kath's kid. Reilly was Aunt Mic's girl and she was four. The house was crazy with 15 people living in it, but we all managed.

The funeral was very hard. My sisters Kileigh, Taylor and I had to alter serve. I'm not good at funerals or even in sad movies, so being in front of everyone during a funeral was even worse. I did fine…at first. I did everything I was supposed to do. Bring up the water, bow, and everything else. I was fine until we were leaving the church. There were pictures of my Grandpa and they had the jar with his ashes. They were talking about all the great things he did, and the great time everyone had with him. All of the sudden flashbacks from when I was little came to my mind. The time he made me sleep outside with my friend in Colorado, because we made a really cool fort. I started to laugh on the inside but then I burst into tears. I cried and I just couldn't stop. My Grandma Viki came over and started crying, while she started to give me a hug. I couldn't stop crying. The whole church seemed to go quiet as I cried my heart out. Finally I was able to leave the church.

Everyone came out of the church. They all came up to me and started to give me more hugs. My Aunt Ginger, who is my great aunt, came over to me and said "Nobody looks good crying. You are always so cute but when you cry, you look different." It was pretty mean, but I started to laugh. I felt good for like a minute. People came up to me and said, "You know, I thought I wasn't going to cry that much, but when you cried, it made me cry hard." I felt like all the attention was on me. Usually I am all for that, but right now, it was not good. We were going back to my grandma's house for a reception.

When I got into my Aunt Mic's car, I started to cry a little bit. My cousin Reilly was sitting next to me, looking confused. She asked my aunt, "Why is Meaghan crying?" My Aunt said, "She's just sad about what happened." Reilly didn't really understand what happened. My Aunt Mic just said "you should give her a hug." So she reached over and gave me the best hug I had ever had. She reached into her pocket and gave me a tissue. "Don't worry Meaghan…I didn't use that one" I started to laugh hard when Reilly said this. It was just the thing I needed to cheer me up. By now we were at the house.

At the funeral I saw this girl with platinum blonde hair sitting with her sister, mother, and father. She was familiar but I didn't know where I had seen her. She was at the house too. At the house they were serving lunch. When I got my food I sat down by the girl and her sister. My cousin Reilly was with me, so we all were eating together. Reilly came over to me and whispered in my ear, "I'm shy of her, will you tell her that?" so I said, "Reilly is shy." The girl laughed. She said, "My name is Tessa. What's yours?" that name was familiar too! I said, "Meaghan". She asked if I was Viki's Granddaughter. I said yes and she's like, "Oh I remember you! We built the fort in the backyard and your Grandpa made us sleep out there!" I had the flash back again. We did a lot of things together after that.

That night before she left, she asked if I could sleep over. Her mom said it was fine but that my family might want me to stay because it was a sad day, and it was a family time. But I asked my Grandma and she said yes! I couldn't wait. I went upstairs, put some clothes in my back pack, and pretty much ran out the door.

The car trip was fun because we were listening to her sister's CD. Her friends made this CD where they didn't use any instruments, but it sounded like they did. It was cool. The car ride seemed short but it was about half an hour long.

When we got to her house, we put on pajamas and watched Second Hand Lions. Then we went to bed. In the morning we had pancakes. Her sister was old enough to drive so we went over to Old Navy and then Bath & Body Works. I had to go home right away so they took me back home. I exchanged email addresses with her so me could keep in touch. We keep in tough still today.

Sooner than later we had to leave and go back to California. We boarded the plane and left. This was a trip that I didn't really want to take at first, but in the end it was good. I got over feeling bad for having fun while my grandpa could have been dying, because I knew he was in a better place. Also I met up with a long lost friend!