Polly had been struggling to find enough money to pay for a bed at the local common lodgings for some time now and often went out on the streets to increase her income

Jack the Ripper

Polly had been struggling to find enough money to pay for a bed at the local common lodgings for some time now and often went out on the streets to increase her income. She had several men whom she would go to on a regular basis and was making her way down Whitechapel Road at 2.30am. She only needed four pence to be able to get a bed and she knew that it wouldn't take her long to get the required money.

She looked across the road and saw one of her regular customers, Jack Long, was watching her. She crossed the road and went to him, and then they disappeared down a back alley together. Neither knew they were being watched.

Shortly after the man returned, leaving Polly behind. All the time the alleyway had been watched by a rather patient observer, waiting to catch their prey. Polly emerged a minute or two later but only her silent observer saw her. Polly was roughly dragged back into the alleyway with phenomenal strength and cut meaningfully with a knife in several places, mainly around the throat and vital organs. It was all over in a matter of seconds and the murderer had vanished, leaving the body of the now deceased Polly at the entrance to a gated stable at the end of the alleyway known as Buck's Row.

The body was discovered at 3.40am and the police were informed immediately. The local newspaper journalists were on the scene before dawn and the whole of London was soon told about the horrific events occurring in Whitechapel, linking both the murder of Polly and another woman, Martha, together and saying that there was a serial killer on the loose and that they were a highly dangerous person. The murderer, however, knew their job wasn't finished yet.

It was late at night only a few days later and, as often happened after her husband left her, a woman named Annie was found to be moneyless and unable to afford a room for the night. She sighed and left the common lodgings and made her way deeper into the heart of Whitechapel down the narrow, dimly lit alleyways that she had taken on many occasions before when she was low on money. She made her way to Hanbury Street where she met the man who was willing to hire her for an hour to enable her to get enough money for the lodgings that evening. He lived at number 29, along with 16 of his relatives, and they made their way up the stairs to his room.

After an hour Annie came back out of the house and went down a narrow alleyway beneath number 29, that was used mainly by workmen, to make her way back onto the road and then to the common lodgings when she felt someone attacking her. She tried to fight back but her captor was too strong and slashed her windpipe in two. It was all over in a matter of seconds. The body was left lying mutilated in the backyard of number 29 where she had fallen and her attacker had vanished.

There were two front doors, one leading into a shop and the other, on the left, into a passageway which goes through the building and opens into the back yard. The door to the back yard would swing to the outside from right to left and, when opened, covered a small recess of the yard. It was a self closing door. The back yard was separated from the adjoining yards by a five foot high wooden fence. There were three stone steps leading down to yard level. Looking from the top of the steps there was a small wood shed to the left, Annie's feet pointed directly at it. To the right was the privy. The yard itself was a patch work of stone, grass and dirt.

The front door to the house was opened only moments later and Jack stepped out, quietly closing the door behind him so as not to awaken the rest of the house. Another prostitute that was well known to him, Catherine Eddowes, was walking past the end of the pathway and when she saw him she stopped and waited. They stood in conversation for a while, neither noticing their silent observer standing in the shop doorway hidden by the shadows. If they had noticed their silent observer they would have seen the blood-stained shirt they were wearing and would have realised they were standing in close proximity to the serial killer that was terrorising Whitechapel. But neither of them noticed. Neither had any reason to suspect anything was going on. James and Catherine left one another at the gate, both going their separate ways.

A few minutes later a workman entered the yard and couldn't believe the sight before him. He hurried back out of the passage and immediately summoned the police who arrived moments later. The body was examined by the police and some doctors and, as in the previous murders of Whitechapel, there seemed to be no motive for her to be brutally murdered.

The police released information about the death in the following 24 hours, asking anyone who may have seen anything to come forward. A woman, Elizabeth Long, said that she had seen a man talking to a woman which fitted the description of Annie just a few minutes before it had happened. She was asked to give evidence about what she had seen, which she agreed to do.

"He was dark complexioned and was wearing a deerstalker hat. I think he was wearing a dark coat but I cannot be sure. He was a man over forty, as far as I could tell. He seemed to be a little taller than the deceased. He looked to me like a foreigner, as well as I could make out. He looked what I would call shabby genteel," was the statement she gave the police. She also told the police that she had seen the same man conversing with Catherine Eddowes shortly after seeing him conversing with Annie. The police took all this information on board and hurried off to find Catherine Eddowes.

The police where looking everywhere for Catherine Eddowes, the woman who had spoken to the possible serial killer, when they were informed about another murder that had taken place in the Whitechapel area. The body was discovered close to 1.00am. The yard was so dark that the steward of an adjoining club, who discovered her body on driving into the yard with a pony and cart, was hardly able to see it without lighting a match. With blood still gushing from her wound, it appeared that she was killed just moments before he arrived; the steward told officials that he believed that the killer was still in the yard.

However, no killer was found. A silent observer watched as the steward discovered the body, and then the observer decided it was best to leave and continue with the work for that night, satisfied that the police would be plenty busy enough with this murder so wouldn't be on the look out elsewhere.

The silent observer headed swiftly on to Bishopgate Police Station where their next victim was currently being detained. The door to the police station opened and a woman stepped out, being told by the police officer accompanying her to take the shortest route home. The woman nodded, then continued down the steps and turned left onto Aldgate High Street rather than turning right; the route which would have taken her most directly to her home.

The silent observer stood in the dark alleyway between Mitre Square and Aldgate High Street waiting for the chance to grab her. There were three men on the other side of the road watching the woman as another man approached her. The silent observer knew this man well and had to ensure that he didn't notice them lurking in the shadows. As they walked towards the alleyway in which the observer was hiding, they sunk deeper behind some bins in order to remain undiscovered. They left the alleyway together and then they separated. The silent observer followed the woman, staying in the shadows until the man had entirely gone out of sight before pouncing on her.

Her body was found only ten minutes later but, as usual, the murderer was nowhere to be seen. Most of the body was still there but a single kidney had been removed. Now the Whitechapel Police had two murders to deal with, both in the same night.

The police were entirely unsure about who had committed these crimes but they strongly believed that the murderer was someone who knew a lot about the human body and who knew exactly where all the organs were, what difficulties they would find and how to overcome them. They also believed that the person responsible was a highly demented being that could never have been someone such as an animal slaughterer as they wouldn't have known enough about what to do with a human body.

The silent observer read these opinions in the newspaper and smiled to themselves. They knew exactly what they were doing alright. The journalists had certainly gotten that bit right. But they were nothing to do with the medical profession. They knew nothing of the human body, save the basics, and decided that perhaps it was time they communicated with the police themselves once more.

They took the kidney from the ethanol where it had been preserved for such a purpose and then wrote a letter to the Chairman of the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee saying:

From hell. Mr Lusk, I send you half the Kidney I took from one woman. Preserved it for you. The other piece I fried and ate it was very nice. I may send you the bloody knife that took it out if you only wait a while longer. Signed Jack the Ripper. Catch me when you can Mister Lusk.

They then placed it into a box with half of the kidney and discarded the other half in the fire. It had disintegrated into ash in a matter of minutes. Then, the silent observer took the box and posted it to Mr. Lusk.

Then, the silent observer decided to find their next victim by following a man they knew well to where another prostitute was picked up. The observer followed to the room where they went together and waited for the man to leave. Almost as soon as he had left the observer entered the room and attacked the woman inside. She was brutally attacked by her murderer, having several body parts removed and many slashes made to her body. She cried the word "Murder!" before finally being silenced by the killer that left as soon as they could.

The following morning the horrifically mutilated body was discovered by the landlord and the police where immediately informed once again. The body was examined, then removed and given another thorough examination at the police headquarters.

The East End Observer was writing more and more about the murders and had recently taken to calling the murderer "Jack the Ripper" after what the silent observer called themselves in their letter. Everyone was on the look out constantly but there were no more murders committed.

The silent observer no longer had any reason to continue with their continuous killings as they no longer had a purpose to do it. They had received all they needed to receive from it. The man whom was so well known and who had been followed for the past six weeks no longer visited Whitechapel. He no longer had any prostitutes to hire seeing as they had all been murdered and he no longer had any use for Whitechapel.

The silent observer was never named, never found out; never stupid enough to let on whom it was that was committing such horrible offences or leave any clues behind for the police to track them down with.

Jack read the article in the observer the morning it was published. He looked at his wife still asleep in the chair in the corner of the room and realized they hadn't slept together for weeks. He stopped going to Whitechapel when he realized who the Ripper was. He never went to the police and handed them in. He knew better than to let this all carry on though. Rather than going out at the weekends and hiring a prostitute he stayed at home with his wife. After all, it kept her out of any more mischief and it stopped him from being her "Jack the Ripper" and ripping her heart out by sleeping with other women. He understood why she had done it but was sorry that he had inadvertently caused their deaths.