Sorry about the long time I took to put this up. Due to personal reasons I couldn't. Now I'm back on track. Don't forget to review and tell me what you think!



Blue, it was the infinite territory of yawning blue which met my eyes. I blinked and sighed, one hand crossed under my head and the other clutching at the frayed ends of the hammock.

How long has it been, I thought, since I had a day like this? A day without the blinking cursor, a day without waiting for the aggravating hourglass in the screen to stop rotating, a day without any digital screen at all? I got good money for it, my old computer. It had been white – with a gray keyboard and a mouse which stayed snug under the curve of my palm, I remembered fondly – and humungous. My seller said it was a disgrace to own a system so clunky and ancient. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever owned – a gift from my father, when he walked out on Mom – and me - two years back. Something like a goodbye gift, a gift to constantly remind me I was not the cause of his departure.

But it was old and outdated. Even with a sturdy OS(Windows 95), it hung half the time and the other half, I overloaded it with tasks it rushed to complete. Tasks it was not equipped to handle. Tasks which poisoned it bit by bit, every day, until one day it refused to boot.

Of course I tried every way I could to revive it. I rattled it, I forced a boot-up diskette into the slot for floppies. I even buried my ego and took it to the shop. They said they could fix it but it wouldn't last long. It was better to sell it anyway.

So I sold it. I sold the one true possession I cherished the most, my getaway from the harrowing world. That night I tore out the wire which connected my phone to the modem. I threw it out of the window, not caring who it hit. And I fell onto my bed and buried my face in the pillow. There was no beep to comfort me.

And here I was, lying in a sandbrown hammock oscillating beneath a willow and an oak.

With nature.

And it was during this tryst with the greens that it happened.

It came seemingly unpresumptuous. A stir here, a small crunching of leaf under boot there – but that was all it took for me to realize I was not alone in my hideout-with-a-lake-view.

I shot out of the hammock instantly as an unholy dread gnawed at my insides, and, poised for attack, crept around the place. The next few moments unfolded at a shocking pace.

I felt like a ninja, but an eerie sense of déjà vu rattled within me as I reflexively crouched behind the willow to shield myself from the silvery white beam which seemed to speed out of nowhere at me. And then another beam came – and another, and another and every time I had to dart in and around the trees surrounding the clearing to save my life. 'Wood protects," I heard someone whisper in my head over and over again and the crazy guy in me – the one who listens to weird phrases spoken by random weird voices in my head – spun around the tree trunks like a dog chasing a bone until the whole world was a whirl of white beams and brown.

And all at once the beam-attack stopped. I remained behind the thick base of an oak, listening hard. The only sound I could hear, however, was the banging of my heart against my ribcage as I tried to process what just happened.

Just then, a gasp like shrapnel on glass rang through the air. I didn't dare steal a peek at my attacker, not just yet.

"Oh sweet Delilah!" my attacker breathed, and this – the fact that the steely yet melodious proclamation came, clearly, from a woman – my attacker was a woman!- caught me completely off guard.

I shot up and made my way forward slowly, wild drumming heart et al. I wanted to say something. I so wanted to say something, anything.

I gained steadiness and somehow my hands found themselves crossed in front of my chest. I looked her right in the eye.

"Did you just call me Delilah?"

Well, what do you think? Let me know.