"The Colossus" by Serbian Dragon, January 2012
Disclaimer: All the characters are the product of fiction. Any resemblance to the real characters are of a pure coincidence. No intention was made to insult anyone for any reason.
AN: This story is an act of fiction. No one is should attempt to act in the same manner as described.
Summary: "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth." John 4:24.
As they watched children play in the park, Robert Morris objected to the current abuse of honest people.
- Those "crimnals in motion" ... those that are already involved in the crime may very well abuse the situation of some desperate individuals ...
Chris Hawley snorted at Robert and Robert felt furious within himself, feeling like a male nanny, monitoring his son, Thomas.
- I can tell you that computer crime cannot be analogized to traditional crime and that combatting it requires both innovative law enforcement techniques and new laws designed to address abuses of emerging technologies. Robert frowned. I mean ..., Chris chuckled, ... how can you "prove" anything that can be "electronically" wiped out forever! Right! He hit Robert lightly onto his shoulder and Robert felt like punching his neighbor on the face. But he restrained himself, staring intently at the melting snow instead. I mean ..., Chris grinned widely at his basketball friends that were pointing fingers at him, passing by ... there are so many computers around the world, and ... who could be prosecuted had Congress not had the foresight to enact the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act?
- I am not quite following you ..., Robert could not understand the logic behind the sentence.
- There are substantive amendments on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to specifically address new abuses that spring from the misuse of new technologies. Chris grinned at Robert and Robert felt as if he was talking to some alien that just made an elegant exit from his private UFO.
- I am more concerned about drugs ... "real" crime ... Robert tried to divert the topic.
- From Redmond, Washington, to St. Augustine in Florida ..., Chris was singing and Robert was mildly bewildered, staring at him, ... boys and girls are holding pharmacists at gunpoint ..., he paused, showing a set of white teeth to already furious Robert, ... and escaping with thousands of powerfully addictive pills that can sell ... a lot ... a piece ... on the street. Chris ended as if he was singing a lullaby and Robert burst into a nervous laughter, not believing his ears what the world was coming to. Chris shoved Robert lightly, giggling.
They watched children play for a while, enjoying the warm sunshine.
- Out of sheer curiosity ..., Robert looked art Chris, ... who "taught" you this ... "song"?
- Michael Fox, of course ... Robert cleared his throat, clasping hands together in front, leaning forward. But ... most robbers don't actually hurt anyone, ... it's just that..., some snaggy-looking kids swung their bicycles around the corner, disregarding the elderly couple that was peacefully enjoying their stroll, ... but authorities are worried the risk of bloodshed is increasing as ... as assaults multiply ..., Chris switched to high alto pitch at the end a sif some invisible fairy squeezed on his scrotum.
Robert frowned again, exhaling impatiently, watching his wrist watch as if it was placed there by sheer acident.
- Now ... if you are curious about California prisons, ..., Robert waved to his son and Chris to his daughter, ... the only way ..., to my knowledge at least, ... to do any kind of advance computer work is to get hired or accepted to work as an assistant of the computer teacher. Robert stared at Chris.
- Why are you telling ME that? Chris grinned like a wolf that was sure about his nightly feast.
- My brother did that - he and a friend were asked to program and write some systems mostly on Excel for the teacher.
- In the prison? Robert scratched his nose.
- Yes. Chris looked like a grim salesman. The classes are difficult to get in, of course, because ..., an ambulance siren made them quiet for a while, ... that is a choice for many ... just taking the class, if you know what I mean.
Robert realized he could no longer bear the pain of being under financial pressure. He rose slowly, calling Tom. Tom reluctantly separated from other chidlren, running towards his dad.
- Well ..., Robert looked at still seated Chris, ... see you around "neighbor" ...
- Yes. Chris grinned. "See" you around ... He watched as Robert hugged his son Tom.
Some elderly, unkempt woman was examining the trash can accross the street.