In a text book style form I present to you my latest story about an alternate history scenario of the Philippines actually winning the Philippine-American War. Not many people realize this, but if the US actually lost the war, a large portion of world history would be changed. So this scenario is my view on what might have happened if the Americans lost the war. The first few chapters would be taken from actually history, meaning this events actually happened. But sooner or later, once you get the complete picture of the situation of the time, we will delve into the alternate history scenario.


On the night of February 4, 1899, Private William Walter Grayson and his small patrol of men marched out of their encampment at the town of Santol towards their picket outpost near the San Juan Bridge. A member of the 1st Nebraska Volunteer Regiment, under Col. John M. Stotsenburg, he and his fellow guards were ordered to protect the vital stone bridge and keep an eye on the crucial crossing for any armed natives who decided to approach the area.

After receiving threats from the native commander on the bank of the river, in which the Americans were told to either leave the town or be forced to leave it, Col. Stotsenburg and the officers and men of the regiment were brought into a state of high alert. For the past months, Filipinos and Americans have been staring at each other, from across the Pasig River, with dagger like glances, as they stood in their respective trenches with the spirits of two boxers about to strike their opponents. Despite having been allies in the recent war against the Spanish, a sense animosity and mistrust had formed between the two forces, when American soldiers began building up in the city Manila and refusing Filipino demands for native soldiers to enter and occupy the city, which the natives claimed was respectively a part of the territory of their new Republic.

With tension rising as each week passed by, both the Filipinos and Americans were now becoming wary of one another, with one side being annoyed at the presence of foreigners in their native soil, while the other being afraid of what the seemingly countless uneducated barbarians can do to such a small force of men. With such fears worrying the American commanders, only to be heightened by the recent aggressive threats and demands from native commanders, American commander began increasing patrols and pickets, making sure that the natives stay on their side of the river. So on the night of February 4, Grayson and his patrol where only a small part of the thousands of Americans who were patrolling their sectors and making sure that the Filipinos weren't infiltrating their lines and planning preemptive assaults that would catch their forces by surprise.

Marching out of Santol and following the dark dirt path towards the bridge at San Juan, Grayson and his fellow soldiers expected everything but an easy night. Due to the increasing tension on both sides, there had been dozens upon dozens of incidents that have been occurring across the line, from one side taking pot shots at the other, to ruckuses caused by one force or the other. With tension increasing and everyone's nerves on the edge, almost every man who stood on guard knew that it was only a matter of time before the powder keg blew. Little did Grayson and his small party know, it was them who were about to light it.

A little over five minutes since leaving Santol, Grayson and his patrol soon encountered a group of Filipino soldiers who somehow managed to cross the bridge and end up on the American side of the river. With orders from Col. Stotsenburg to, "to arrest them (The Natives) if possible, or if this was impossible, to fire upon them…", Grayson and his men immediately called out, "Halt!", wishing to apprehend the natives and question them.

Returning the gesture with mocking replies and shouts of, "Halto!", the Americans quickly realized that they were not being taken seriously. Raising their arms and cocking their rifles in case things get out of hand, the Americans failed to realize that their action frightened the Filipinos, who in turn raised their own arms in a defensive stance.

Managing to make out the silhouettes of the natives and seeing them raise their rifles at them; the Americans misinterpreted the defensive gesture as an aggressive one. Fearing that they would be fired upon by the natives, Grayson immediately looked down his rifle, aimed it at the closest silhouette he saw, and fired.

Grayson fired first, soon to be followed by another soldier in his patrol. In that dark confusing night, Grayson and the rest of the soldiers found it hard to tell if any of them hit their targets. But they decided not to stay and find out, for they knew that there were still other natives who would soon be taking their revenge on them. Following procedure and retreating, they sprinted back to Santol, to raise the alarm and take cover in their defenses there.

As they made their way back towards their encampment to report the events to their commander, a slow rise of gunfire began erupting across the Pasig River. Having been triggered by the sudden shots fired by Grayson and his patrol, soldiers from both sides of the line began exchanging fire, lighting up the night with their muzzle flashes.

The Philippine-American War has now begun.