April 16th, 1912, NY

The Carpathia just dropped off me, Genevieve, and Aunt Margaret, and the rest of the survivors of the Titanic. Mother is going to meet us at The Jane tomorrow. I haven't had the chance to sit down, much less write anything about yesterday, so let me tell you everything, my diary.

We set sail on April 10, 1912. 6 days ago. Aunt Margaret wanted to take Genevieve and me on a surprise luxury cruise. We stopped at France and Ireland to pick up more people, then began the rest of our journey. We spent days feasting, swimming in the pool, and playing shuffleboard on deck. Then, on April 15, at around 11:00, when Genevieve, Aunt Margaret, and I were about to fall asleep, we heard an awful grinding noise, even worse than nails on a chalkboard. I was the first one out of bed, with Aunt Margaret and Genevieve following. The lobby was filled with passengers clamoring and wondering what was going on. I heard on person remark that we hit an iceberg because the captain wasn't paying attention, but I couldn't believe that statement. The group was told to go back to bed, and we complied. After only half an hour, our bellboy knocked on our door and told us to quickly put on our life vests and meet up with the others on deck. The women and children were herded into lifeboats. Before we boarded, we were told that the Titanic had an abundance of lifeboats, more than the law required, in fact. Still, we waited in line for at least an hour, maybe even more. I could be exaggerating a bit. I was nervous about the whole ordeal. Nobody told us what was happening. Genevieve and I traded theories while waited for a lifeboat to open up. I thought an important part of the boat malfunctioned, Genevieve thought there was a fire in the boiler room. We were finally able to board a boat, along with 20 other women. Before we were dropped into the ocean, I heard a woman screaming that she would never leave her husband on a sinking ship. She had more of a grasp on the situation than I did. But before I could listen for more, we were dropped into the water and left to drift in the Atlantic. We'd been floating for an hour, trying to direct the little lifeboat and keep it close to the Titanic. We kept circling, watching the Titanic go down. Like the person in the lobby guessed, it was indeed sinking. First, the whole ship eventually lifted vertically into the air, then, a minute later, it broke in half with a groan similar to the one we heard earlier. Everyone in the lifeboat kind of gave up after it split, and we decided to find the others. Occasionally we would pass driftwood from the ship, and we were even able to rescue a man clinging to a piece of driftwood. One of the little girls peering over her mother's shoulder was the first one spot the Carpathia. They hauled us onboard and continued on their route to New York.

So here we are in New York. 2 hours away from where we were supposed to be. Aunt Margaret thought it would be a good idea to hire a messenger to wait for Mother and tell her to meet us at The Jane. Genevieve is writing in her diary now as well, and Aunt Margaret is tracking down a boy willing to wait for Mother at her hotel. Here comes Aunt Margaret now, I must go. Farewell!