The Scary House

In the dark part of the forest where I live, there's a house that's so sold and so scary that it's been dubbed as the scary house. My mom and I passed by that particular house one time, and I wanted to go inside to see what it was like.

"No, Karen." My mom said. "It's way too scary in there for you. In fact, I want you to promise me that you'll never set foot inside that house."

"I promise, Mommy." I said.

"That's a good girl." My mom said. Now back then, I was just four years old and like most kids at that age, I was curious to explore and find new things. Now that I'm eight, I'm not as curious as I once was. I'm also fairly mature for my age. One spring afternoon, my mom was watching a political show on TV. I tried to watch with her, but the expression on my face showed a complete disinterest in the program.

"This show's boring." I said. "I'm going outside."

"All right, dear." said my mom. "Remember to stay away from the scary house."

"I will." I said and made my way outside. The weather wasn't hot, but it wasn't old either. It was somewhere in the middle so I felt no need to wear a jacket. I skipped happily along the path in my plain red sweatshirt, my knee length white skirt, my white socks and my tall black boots. My bright red hair was pulled into a ponytail because that's the hairstyle I prefer. I also like jewelry, which is why I was wearing a gold chain around my neck. Anyway, I had been skipping along for about fifteen minutes when I suddenly found that someone had grabbed hold of my wrist and was preventing me from going any further.

"You're coming with me, young lady." He said and led me away. I didn't bother asking him where we were going because I had a good idea as to where he was taking me. My thought process was confirmed when we arrived at the scary house. The thought of having to go inside scared me, but the man didn't care. Since the house was old, every room inside was quite dark. But the basement, where he took me, was the darkest room in the whole house. He pointed to the two-tone wooden chair that was beside the furnace.

"You'll sit there." He said. I wanted to argue with him, but I knew that doing so wouldn't be a good idea so I followed his instruction and sat down in the chair.

"I promised my mom I would never set foot inside this house." I said as I placed my wrists together against the bars behind the back of the chair.

"Well your mom's not here." said the man. "Therefore, you're to answer to me." He took some rope out of his pocket and began to tie my wrists together.

"Go gently, please." I said, but the man either didn't hear me or didn't care. He started slow at first, but then increased the speed a little bit. Then, I felt a slight pinch.

"That's too tight." I said, but again, the man didn't hear me. He finished tying the rope, and then he tightened and cinched it so that I couldn't move my wrists. Then he stuck a piece of grey duct tape on my mouth and left the room. Now I was on my own, and the room was so scary that I wanted to scream. I couldn't do that, however, because of the tape that was on my mouth. I thought to myself how long I would have to stay inside the room, and then I came to the conclusion that it would be quite a while before my kidnapper would let me leave. After an hour had passed, I started thinking about my mother and whether I would ever see her again. I also thought about how worried she probably was right now. Then I started hearing noises coming from the back of the room. In keeping with the theme of the place, the noises were quite scary. I tried to yell for the noises to stop, but my screams came out muffled due to the tape that was covering my mouth. Fifteen minutes later, my kidnapper came back to check on me. He yanked the tape off my mouth and asked me what was wrong.

"I keep hearing weird sounds." I said. The man looked around the room but didn't hear anything. He told me that I was likely just imagining things. Then he stuck the tape back on my mouth and left the room. I didn't understand why he didn't believe me, but I wasn't in the mood to find out right now. A couple of hours later, evening came. I thought for sure that the noises would come back, but they didn't. I thought my kidnapper would come back and check on me, but he didn't do that either. So I spent the entire night on my own scared out of my mind. The next morning, however, the noises came back. I didn't recognize them at first, but after five minutes, I instantly knew what they were. I wanted to scream, but once again, my mouth was covered up with the tape. These noises lasted for a good half hour before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned my head around and much to my relief, I found my mom standing beside me. She yanked the tape off my mouth and began to untie the ropes.

"I am so glad to see you." I said with a sign of relief.

"So am I." said my mom. "What happened to you yesterday?"

"I was skipping along at my own pace when a guy kidnapped me and brought me here." I said. "I know I wasn't supposed to come into this house, but I couldn't do anything to stop him. I'm sorry."

"It's all right, honey." my mom said. She finished untying me, and then she led me out of the house and back to our own house. I was worried that my kidnapper would try to chase after me. However, he was still sleeping so he didn't notice me leaving.

"I know you being kidnapped wasn't your fault." My mom said. "However, you still broke the promise you made me so you'll have to be punished."

"I already said I was sorry." I replied. "Isn't that enough?"

"I'm afraid it isn't." My mom said. When we returned home, I was promptly sent to my room. I was to stay there for the next two days. The only times I would be allowed out would be for meals and that was it. However, I learned a valuable lesson. I learned that when you make a promise, you should stick to it. Had I done that, I wouldn't have been grounded. But at least I was home safely, and my mom and I were quite grateful for that.

The End