You were my boomerang. Everytime I wanted to forget about you, you'd come back. I was trying to let you go. I was ready to go. I was ready to throw. You could never escape me. I gave up, and this is how I'm suffering. Wanting you back is all that's on my mind. I've forgotten everything else: who I am, where I'm from, why I'm here, why…

The words trailed off into waves of ineligible writing. The squiggles I had created seemed distant from the rest of the paragraph, acting like outcasts. My hand began to loosen its grip on the pen and it slowly rolled of my palm, down the left side of my hand, and onto the notebook placed in my lap.

The pen landed point-first onto the paper before rolling off, forming a small blue dot just below my writing. The blue dot was a light shade of blue. Not light enough to match the sky, but not dark enough to blend in with the oceans. The ink gradually transformed from the perfect circle into a shape more unique than a snowflake.

Suddenly, a different color appeared on the paper. This one was dark, like the inside of a cave: yet it was bright, like a warm light shining into the cave. The color was blood, running down the length of the paper. I jerked my hand up and onto my nose, catching any blood that was making its trip down. I promptly stood up, causing my notebook to land in the damp morning grass.

With blood leaking through the cracks between my fingers, I made my way home. After passing the old oak tree I clambered down the hill, struggling to maintain my balance. I giggled to myself, remembering the countless times I fell down that hill.

My fishing net was no longer than my arm with a green plastic handle and a white and thin netting. Every night the net would seem full as I ran around, trying to catch the stars in the sky. The bright dots seemed to be trapped in my net, but only for a split-second. They would never truly be captured, but that didn't stop me. Then the other time where…

My concentration was ripped from the memories. My eyes were tightly shut, as if they reacted to something painful. I opened them and saw the world had made a 180. As I layed there on the ground, I could feel the warmth of blood flowing down my face more than ever before.

I reluctantly touched my nose with my hand and felt what I had imagined I was going to. Along with the world going sideways, so did my nose.

"Holy sh…," I mumbled.

With my off hand I pushed myself off of the ground and looked at my surroundings. My head was spinning like a top, and my focusing ability was not at its best. I took my left hand and supported my head, trying to settle myself.

Once the spinning started to slow, I started staggering forward. I headed towards the two-lane interstate. The road led directly to town. Only after a few dozen paces, I passed the old department store. Its metal exterior was rusted to the point that it looked painted onto the building. Taking a few more steps, I could see the front. A huge bus-sized blue banner was dangling from the top of the store. The middle of the banner was composed of jagged slashes and huge bowling ball-sized holes. The few white letters that remained read: ALBER…PAR...ORE.

Below the banner was the entrance. The automatic doors were open, but it didn't matter much as the glass was gone. Little tiny fragments stuck in the door frame were all that was left of the glass. Inside was a black abyss that had not been entered in months, as I had already taken what was left of the useful supplies.

Continuing past the store, some houses followed. One of them was faded green with vines and other foliage stretching out of the windows. The one next to it was made of brick. Most of the walls and foundation were in ruins. Nothing but a master bed and a couch were left inside of the house. Down the road was more and more houses. Each one being destroyed in a different way. Some were still standing with holes in the walls, no roofs, or even no windows. Others looked like a tornado made its way through but left certain things behind. A lamp, refrigerator, nightstand, etc.

There was one house that seemed to survive it all. It was a two story white house. It had a single car garage and too many windows. The yard around the house was obviously taken care of. The grass wasn't overgrown and seemed to be the same height everywhere I looked. No weeds were present as well as fungi. Turning towards the house I reached into my left pocket and pulled out my key. I slipped the key into the door handle and turned it. About a quarter of the way around the key jammed. I took the key out and tried again.

"Stupid key!" I shouted.

My voice bellowed out, causing some birds to get scared and fly out of some nearby trees. I shook my head and took the key out of the door knob. Turning around, I threw the key across road. I heard it bounce on the cracked pavement a couple times before it came to a stop.

I looked at the windows next to the door. One of them had a long crack going from corner to corner, and it looked like it could fall apart any moment. At this point the bleeding had stopped and my hand (as well as my face) were covered in dried blood. I took my blood-stained hand and pushed the broken glass out of the window. Both pieces fell through and hit the floor, shattering into numerous fragments. I awkwardly crawled through the window, hitting my elbows and legs on the window sill.

Upon entering my house I turned left and went directly to the bathroom. I walked in and went over to the bathtub, which was a quarter filled with water. I went over to the cabinet above the sink and grabbed a plastic cup. I took water from the tub and filled the cup with it. I washed off my face and hands, trying to get everything clean. Once I was done I looked up at the mirror that was on the doors of the cabinet. Dead center of the mirror was a massive spider web crack that spread throughout the whole surface. Some parts of the mirror were missing glass completely while others had dirty and smudged-up glass. I looked away from the mirror and headed to my room.

I opened up the door and slumped into bed. Immediately I could feel the coldness rush though my body. Chills went up my spine, but it felt very relaxing. I pulled over my blanket and wrapped myself up. Soon, the cold was replaced with warmth: warmth that felt like a sauna. I layed there thinking about putting my nosebleed story in my journal. Before I could realize that I had left it by the tree, my mind had already turned itself off.


The rays of sun acted like an oven, heating up the lake water. The small ripples reflecting the light looked beautiful, almost like a mini light show. My fingers were dragging on the surface of the water, barely touching it.

"You look concerned."

I turned my head around and stared blankly.

"I am," I said.

I focused my attention back on the water. Suddenly, the water wasn't warm, it was ice cold. My instinct kicked in and I yanked my arm out of the lake, causing my body to fall backwards. I tumbled back and attempted to regain my balance to no prevail. I looked behind me and saw that the bottom of the boat was up in the air. We were tipping over.

Faster than I could think the boat was capsized, shocking me into the water. I struggled to get back to the surface, kicking my feet and trying to push the boat out of my way. During the time of struggle something caught my leg, pulling my deeper down. I kicked and kicked, hoping to reach the surface and find Luna. Once I was free I emerged from the surface. I looked around and couldn't see her. I swam in circles, turning my body while staying in the same place. Luna wasn't there.

"LUNA!" I shouted into the empty lake.

Then it hit me. Luna was the thing that grabbed my leg. I wasn't being pulled down, I was supposed to pull her up. Terror filled up my mind and I dived back into the water. I directly under the boat and saw her. She was laying face down on the lake floor. I kept my breath and reached her. I grabbed her arms and wrapped them around my shoulders. I swam up to the top, almost out of breath. Once reaching air I went to the shore.

I layed her body down on the grass and saw that she was still breathing.

"Luna! Can you hear me?"

No response. I took my hands and prepared to perform CPR. I started compressing, going with the beat of an old song. Water was starting to leak out of her mouth, then I heard a loud CRACK! My hands went down to push but there was nothing stopping them. I looked down in shock. I had broken her ribs.

"Oh no no no…" I said, trying not to burst in tears.

I put my fingers on her neck, checking for a pulse: a pulse I would never find.

My eyes opened and I shot up and out of bed. My head was throbbing and I had sweat dripping down my face. I got up and looked for my notebook. I had forgotten I had left it by the oak tree.

Drift Away

I could see the notebook. The open page was face-down while the cover was up-right. I squatted down and grabbed the notebook, flipping it over to reveal my writing. I was surprised to see a blank page. Everything that I had written earlier was gone, erased from the paper. I fingered through the pages, searching for my journal. What I had written earlier wasn't the only thing missing: all of it was missing.

In frustration, I chucked the notebook across in the air. Only a few seconds later I heard a loud SPLASH. I looked up and saw the notebook floating in the lake. It was drifting away from me. Worried that I'd lose all of my journaling, I ran towards the water and jumped in.

The water was surprisingly warm, like a bath you took when you had a fever. My head finally broke through the surface as I tried to regain my breath. I started paddling forward, going after my notebook. It was inching closer and closer, until I could touch it.

I got a hold of it and something felt wrong. The water was no longer warm, it was ice cold. Furthermore, the words were back on the paper. I didn't have time to process what was happening so I swam back to shore, afraid that the pages were already ruined.

I threw the notebook onto the grass, giving myself both arms to hoist myself back onto land. I sat there panting from my lack of breath. I turned to the notebook and stared at it. The pages were soaking wet, dripping with beads of water. Most of the ink was warped and couldn't be read.

Hours went by as I sat there, not thinking about anything. My mind was blank, much like the notebook had appeared to be when I found it. I took the notebook and opened it again. This time the words were back. They were no longer water damaged. I started reading the journals, but they weren't mine.

Every day I think about you. You were my friend. You were my lover. You were my only. With you, we were living in a dream. It was just you and me. I gave you all that I had, and it still wasn't enough. It's impossible to forget about you. I miss you more than anything. I just want you back. I need you back.

I recognized Luna's handwriting. I'd been reading it for years. I never would have thought I was going to read it again. I must have been going crazy. Luna's journal in my notebook? That's impossible. I shook it off and decided that I needed to go back home.

I tried to stand up, but my arms and legs were too weak. My body slumped to the ground as if I was made of jello. It felt relaxing, having my body motionless. I was comfortable for the first time in years. My mind was in a trance. I could feel myself drifting to sleep. My mind was drifting away from my body. A slow back and forth movement started to go over my body. I thought I was sleeping in a hammock. It was peaceful and calm.

The swaying back and forth gradually became more intense. My stomach began turning upside down, and that caused me to wake up. I opened my eyes to a blurry view of the sky. The blurr was moving, rushing over my eyes and making it seem like the sky was moving. My mouth suddenly filled with water. I coughed and swung my body from a horizontal position to vertical. I was back in the water.

It wasn't the lake; there was a current. I was drifting down a river. The land on the each side of me was flying by. It reminded me of sitting in a car, looking out the window. Everything rushing by was a blur, unless I focused on something. Trees and bushes were the only things I could see.

I was able to keep myself afloat due to the current not being overwhelming. I didn't try to fight it, there was no point. The current was like a conveyor belt, taking me on an adventure. Up head I could see where the river ended. The mouth of the river flowed into a lake, different from the one I was used to.

This lake was next to an old city. The half-standing skyscrapers still towered over everything. As I got closer I could make out what buildings were there. One of the towers was an old bank. The logo was still intact, but it was hanging from a thread, ready to fall with the slightest gust of wind. Almost all of the windows were broken: probably in an attempt from people to escape.

Next to the bank was what looked like an insurance company. Below that was a shorter building. The shorter one was very big. It stretched the entire length of the many buildings behind it. A huge red cross with snakes surrounding it was placed on the front of it. The hospital looked to be in the worst condition out of any other structure there.

I finally entered the lake, slowly being pushed by the rushing water behind me. The shore was only a few meters away, so I swam to it. To my surprise my limbs weren't tired or numb. I felt as if I had all of the energy in the world. I reached the shore and dragged myself up. I took off my shirt, ringing it out. After doing this to all of my clothes, I headed towards the city.


The roads were covered in ash and rubble. Broken pieces of glass, metal supports torn to shreds, and crums of rock were scattered everywhere. My shoes were constantly being penetrated by the shards of glass. It didn't bother me as my feet had endured worse pain. A low fog layed over the streets, creating an ominous atmosphere. I squinted my eyes, struggling to see through the dense cloud of fog. I spotted the hospital off in the distance.

The road I was walking on acted as a pathway leading directly to the hospital. As I got closer to the building the logo became visible. I could see the little details more distinctly. The red cross was slightly tilted to the right, the bottom leg pointing at an angle. The head of one of the snakes was missing, while the other was half gone itself. The doors leading into the building were surpsingling intact, but they were stuck in the open position.

I had gotten to the hospital, not knowing what I was looking for. I entered the facility. The first thing I could see was the reception desk. Old papers were scattered everywhere like a tornado had swept through. Pens and pencils joined the papers all over the floor and desk. I walked over to the desk and stepped behind it. I could see two actual desks. There were two computers, but one of the monitors was cracked. The office chairs were both stacked on top of the copier machine, making some sort of escape ladder to a missing ceiling tile. The copier itself was sideways and beaten up. The screen was shattered and buttons were missing. On the wall adjacent to the copier was a bulletin board with dozens of papers stuck to it with thumb tacks. I went over to the board and started reading.


The arising disease GMR (an acronym for Geneomorphus) has struck many populous countries including Russia, China, India, Germany, Spain, Italy, France, England, and many more. It is one of the most fast spreading and deadly diseases of human history. There are no symptoms (like the first few stages of diabetes) so this has been deemed the new "silent killer". People who are infected with GMR will never know that they have it. The disease releases bacteria that are covered in white blood cells, making them appear to be passive to your body's own blood cells. Once these bacteria reach your brain, they kill the WBC's and shut down your brain, killing you instantly. Scientists around the world are trying to find the source of this-"


With thousands of people dead in the past two days, it is concluded that GMR has reached the U.S.A. It is recommended that you stay in your home and not to open any windows or doors. The disease was first discovered in Russia at about the same time the mission-"

Almost all of the other papers were torn in half or unreadable. I had remembered seeing those articles. It was the first time I had ever read a newspaper. The epidemic was so massive that the world used any sort of process to warn humanity.

I stared at the papers, thinking about before. My life wasn't as valuable to me then than it was in the hospital. Everything that I had was gone. Everyone that I loved was gone. I ripped my head away from the board, not wanting to fall back into the pit of the past. My mind wouldn't let me control it. The memories started flooding back. I ran away from the desk and down the hallway, trying to escape the past. I was running so fast that I didn't pay attention to my surroundings. I tripped over a stretcher that was in the middle of the floor, and I smacked the ground. My vision went black and my mind had full reign of me.

Death of a Nation

"Honey? Please come down stairs," my mom shouted at me. I was watching some YouTube when she called for me.

I paused the video and turned my chair towards the doorway. "Why? We've already eaten dinner."

Mom didn't respond at first, and I didn't know why. Suddenly my phone went off, blaring my ringtone at an alarming volume. I picked it up and read the notification. It was an alert from the president.


My eyes widened with surprise. I didn't know of a disease that was this serious. I put my phone in my pocket and ran downstairs, almost falling because of my speed. I got downstairs and went into the living room where my mom was standing up, watching the news. Her hair was straight and dark brown. She was wearing her lounging clothes: an oversized X-Files shirt, silky running shorts, and dark blue slippers. She turned her head towards me and shot me a concerned look. I walked up to her and looked at the TV. She didn't say anything and rested her head on my shoulder since I was that much taller than her.

I looked at the TV and watched in horror as the news depicted what was happening. The footage being shown had what must have been hundreds of dead bodies covering the streets of cities. New York, Boston, Philadelphia, seemed to be all of the east coast cities.

"What do we do?" I asked Mom.

She lifted her head up and looked at me. Here eyes were holding back a wave of tears.

"We wa…." she tried to spit out," we...wait."

Before I could question her decision, a reporter came on the news and spoke.

"The disease called GMR is airborne and deadly. There is no doubt that everyone will be infected and die. We have no insight on whether certain people are immune or not. The source of the outbreak is still being looked for."

Below the reporter new cities with much of their population dead were being shown: Shanghai, Tokyo, Delhi, Moscow, Paris, London, Lagos, and western coast cities in the U.S. I then understood why we need to wait. It was so we could enjoy our last moments together, as a family of 2.

My eyes opened slowly. I saw the stretcher that I had tripped over. The collision was so intense that I bent one of the legs. I pushed myself off the floor and leaned against the wall, trying to steady myself. The thought of my dream made me feel sick, and I knew I had to get out of there. I turned the opposite direction I was facing and walked forward. I came to a left turn and thought that I didn't turn whenever I was running. I brushed it off, knowing that I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings earlier. I continued down the hallway, passing by old rooms and reception desks. Many of the rooms had no door. They seemed to be ripped from their hinges. Random chairs and bed sheets covered the hallways. Broken pieces of surgery equipment accompanied the rest of the items in the hallways.

I walked forward, turned numerous times, and even went up flights of stairs before I realized I was going the wrong way. When I got up, I must have been facing the direction I came and went the other way without knowing.

With my anger getting control of me, I stormed to the nearest room. I saw a window near the bed, but it was closed. I tried to open it but it was locked. I looked around and found a chair on the opposite side of the bed. I lifted up the chair and prepared myself. I cocked the chair back and threw it forward. It crashed through the window and plummeted to the ground. I walked over to the broken window and realized how high up I actually was.

I had climbed at least 4 stories up. I could have spent time going back through the hospital to get out, or I could jump and hope for the best. I looked down at the ground and saw grass. No water, no dumpster, no magical cushion for me to land on. I leaned out the window even farther and look at the distance between each window. It couldn't have been more than 5 feet. I could climb out mine, drop down and land on the one below me. I looked back at the doorway leading to the hallway and back outside.

I took my feet and squatted in the window frame. I slowly turned and dropped one of my feet, looking for the ledge to rest it on. Once I had my footing, I lowered the other leg. My hands were still holding onto the ledge of the first window. I felt as if I would fall and die if I let go. Still, I persisted. I quickly let go and my feet slipped, causing me to fall. Almost as fast as I had fallen I grabbed ahold of the next window. I could feel my hands losing grip with all of the sweat perspiration from my body. I repeated the process for the next window, and the one after that.

The last window was still pretty high off the ground and I began to feel nauseous. I started to lower myself but my hands slipped and I lost my grip. The whole world seem to fly by as I fell. Everything went black again.

It's getting closer. The news anchors have been replaced with ones from closer to our area, because the other ones are dead. Mom and I have been sitting around and talking. I've actually been enjoying the time I spend with her. She's the best person that I know. She's the best mother I've had. Noting saying that my birth mom was bad, just not as cool. We don't know how much time we have left. No one knows how much time they have left because you can't detect the disease. It has no symptoms and kills instantly once it gets to your brain or something. I think my mom and I ar-

"Honey! Get down here!"

I dropped my pen, burst through my door, and ran downstairs. Mom was looking out the kitchen window.

"What is it mom?" I asked her.

She motioned with her finger to come closer. I walked over to her and looked out the window. A huge military vehicle was making its way down the street, coming right towards our house. There was a man standing on top of it with a megaphone. I couldn't make out what he was saying. This got people's' attention as many of our neighbors opened their doors and listened to the man. I went to our door to open it but my mom grabbed my hand, shaking her head.

The vehicle had gotten close enough that we could make out what he was saying.

"-need not worry! The government has taken away the disease control warning! GMR is no longer present in your area! You are free to leave your homes!"

I was extremely confused.

I turned to Mom and said, "The alert said there would be another alert if the disease was controlled."

"I know," my mom began, "That's why I don't trust them."

Once the vehicle went past our house people started leaving their homes. Some people slowly emerged, scared that they might die instantly. Others ran out rejoicing and absorbing the moment. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a man running down the sidewalk. He seemed to be heading towards someone he knew, as another person opposite of him was running towards him. As soon as he got to the road, he fell. It was like someone turned off a switch.

The woman he was running after screamed, getting the attention of everyone else. Next was a person on their porch. They fell over the railing and into the bushes in their front yard. One by one, people were dropping like flies. Everywhere I look people were dying. It was terrifying, exactly like something out of a horror movie. No matter how much I wanted to look away, my eyes were glued to the scene going on outside.

I looked at my mom. She was crying. Tears were rolling down her face, wearing away at her makeup. She looked at me with what seemed like hope in her eyes. Her hand grabbed mine and she kissed them.

"I will always love you. To the end of time, you are my son. You are the most beautiful child I could ever have asked for," she croaked. "I don't want you to ever think about this negatively. Only happy thoughts. I. Love. You."

Her grip on my hands loosened and her body went limp. I tried to catch her in time, but my reflexes weren't quick enough. I held onto her shoulders and started shaking them.

"Mom…" I started to say, "Mom! Wake up! Please…"

Her lifeless body was wrapped in my arms. Her face had become pale, her eyes lost color, and her skin was cold. I couldn't control my emotions. Tears started streaming down my face, landing on her clothes. I was sobbing for what must have been hours.

I stayed there all night, not wanting to leave my mom alone. I told stories of our past to an audience that wasn't there. Stories of my adoption, going to Six Flags for the first time, and getting my license.

The entire night I was waiting for my turn. It was airborne, and there's not doubt that I already had it in me. To my surprise I woke up the next morning. I wasn't dead.


The fall didn't kill me. My body was laying back to the ground, my face being illuminated by the sun. My eyes opened and I could see the window I fell out of. It wasn't nearly as high a I thought it was. It was only about 10 feet off the ground. My head had been spinning so much that day that I wasn't bothered by it anymore. I lifted myself off the ground and turned away from the hospital, not wanting to look back.

In front of me was the side of an abandoned building. It looked like a hotel with the windows leading out to decks. Some of the decks were completely gone, while others were missing some boards. I walked over to the front of it and looked up. It was massive. I had to crane my neck at a 90 degree angle to see the top. The sunlight was gleaming off of the glass, forcing me to cover my eye with my arm.

I decided to walk inside. The doors were smashed through and the floor was covered in broken glass. After the doorway was the sign in desk on the left. The hotel's logo was was faded, almost like it was bleached, probably from the sun. Off to the right was the dining area. Tables were tipped over and chairs were missing legs. The breakfast bar was barren, nothing left on it. I noticed that some of the tables had holes in them. The wood was sticking out in one direction, like the table was shot.

I examined all of the tables and realized that they were shot. Stepping back a few feet I saw what went down. The tables were evenly split, three on the breakfast bar side and three on the opposite side. The tables were used as cover. There had to have been a shoot-out. The bullet holes were towards the middle of the tables and nowhere else. As I looked at the scene over again I spotted the holes in the walls.

The outbreak must have pit some people against each other. I could imagine people screaming at others, afraid that they will get them infected. The other person retaliates with the fact that any one of them could be infected. This caused the aggressive one to take action, shooting at their "enemies".

I stood there, being the only one left. No one to fight against. No one to fight with. I left the room and went towards the hallway. I was tired like no other and I needed to sleep. I didn't care if I dreamt of the past again. I got to the intersection of the hotel and turned right. I walked down the hall and looked for an open door. The second room on the right was wide open.

I walked in and went straight for the bed. The bed itself was used with the sheets and covers curled up in a ball at the end of it. The blankets were no use to me; I wasn't cold at all. I closed my eyes and let my mind take over once again.

Months had gone by since Mom had died. Everything seemed to stop. The flowers in our garden stopped growing, the grass had become knee high, and my drive had come to a halt. My motivation didn't exist. I didn't want to do anything, but the fear of death kept me going. I didn't want to turn out like the others. Just the other day the last television broadcast went live. One reporter was left, talking about the state of the Earth.

"John Baggenwell here. Today, there is a very low chance that anyone is watching this. The population of the Earth has plummeted in the past 4 months. The global population is estimated to be less than 50. If GMR has not killed you yet, you have very limited time. There is no "safe haven" to escape to. The disease thrives in cold and warm environments. The source of GMR may have been figured out. We knew it came from Russia, but we didn't know why. Now, we may have our answer. On March 23, 2030 a NASA spacecraft returned from its trip to one of Saturn's moons, Europa. The point of the mission was to search for possible signs of life underneath the surface, and we may have found more than we expected. The craft landed back on Earth in Russia. Just one week after its return, the first major outbreak occurred. There is no concrete evidence that GMR is an extraterrestrial organism, but there's almost no other explanation. Some said that maybe the-" at that point the reporter collapsed onto his desk, spilling his drink and creating screams from behind the camera.

Ever since that newscast I've wondered why I wasn't dead. The disease is airborne, and I've been around people who had it. I had to be missing something.

Crashing Down

A loud crash rang through the streets. The noise made me jump out of my skin. I hopped out of bed, my left arm feeling numb. I must have slept on it weird. I don't know how much I slept, because the sun was in the same place as it was when I fell asleep. I noticed my stomach growling and realized that I hadn't eaten for a long time. My mouth was also dry due to the lack of water.

I went over to the window and opened it. It led outside to a deck that wasn't broken. I walked out and looked down at the road. I looked for what had made the noise but nothing was moving. I scanned the road again and noticed that the sign of the hotel was laying flat on the ground. I looked at it in confusion before I heard another loud noise. This one sounded like velcro being slowly ripped off of a shoe. The entire building rumbled and I knew what was happening.

An earthquake was shaking not only the hotel, but the entire city. Towers far away started to collapse, leaving behind clouds of dust. I ran to the doorway and exited the room. The ceiling above me started to give in. I sprinted to the exit as the building started its death. I ran out of the hotel and went left, away from the hotel.

I could hear the buildings crashing down behind me. It was so loud that I couldn't hear myself think. Reluctantly I looked behind me and saw something I'd never forget. The towers, banks, hotels, and hospital were crumbling into pieces before me. They were falling like dominos, and they were catching up to me. The dust cloud was moving even faster.

I turned back around and bolted as fast as I ever could. My feet were flying, my arms were tight against my side, and my eyes were focusing on the way out. Little bits of concrete and metal occasionally hit my legs, causing me to lag a bit. I persisted through it, making sure that this is not how I would die.


A word that I had dreamed about, but not thought about. I've seen people die. I've seen my mom die. I've seen Luna die. Luna...she was amazing. Once I had given up on my own life when she had found me. I was alone in the woods, wanting for it all to end. It was a miracle that she was there. Neither one of us thought that there were more people. She had grew with me. We both learned how to live in our new world. We taught each other that hope never truly dies, as long as you have someone to hope for. Once she was gone, and I had nothing left to hope for.

Nothing. That's what was left in the world. That's what I had left. Nothing. My mind was focused on the past but my body was still running. I didn't know where I was. I was still in the city, but I must have been going deeper into it. The buildings behind me still crashing down, gaining on me. I thought about what my life was. It was the only life left on Earth. The only thing left going for this planet. One tiny human couldn't change the world. I couldn't fix it. It was impossible. The only thing I had going for me was my immortality to GMR, which I could never explain. Even so, it wasn't enough to make a difference in the world.

My existence meant nothing. I had no point being there, it was a living hell. I had no one to live for, nothing to live for, nowhere to live.

All of these thoughts going through my head made my run slowly turn into a jog. My jog formed into a fast pace walk, and that turned into a slow walk. Finally I stopped. My feet were glued to the ground, I was unable to go forward. I could hear the collapse of the city behind me, but it didn't scare me. I was no longer afraid. I turned around to face my fate. The buildings were still crashing down. The dust cloud reaching out to me, begging me to join it. I couldn't control what I was doing. My right foot lifted itself off the ground and moved forward. My left foot followed suit. I couldn't control my body, it had control of me. My feet led me towards the buildings. The place that I was just running away from. The place that used to be home to millions. The place that was being destroyed. My mind was screaming at me to run away, but my mind wasn't in control. Each step I took got me closer and closer.

The cloud was only feet away from me. I continued to walk forward into the cloud. The specs of dust and rubble swallowed me with a gulp and I could feel the rumble of the crashing buildings getting more intense. I closed my eyes and let the darkness take over for one last time.