Writing to get published
As the title implies. Stuff we want people to read because we honestly want to get it published.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
J. A. MacKillop

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3000238/1/Dreams_Nightmares -- my problem. my story. darn.

So I've been clicking around on this forum, and a new worry has come up: Will self-publishing here on FictionPress hurt my chances of making it in the real world? Or does that only apply if it gets little-to-no or negative feedback? I hope someone can answer this for me, I'm really confused and worried, because I love this website, but I want to see my work in a real bookstore someday.

Second worry: I can't get past a scene that needs to happen. I have no idea how to write it, and I'm wondering if someone could help with that as well? Writer's block, laziness, and a lack of motivation and time seem to be wreaking havoc on my progress and writing, which is frustrating. Is there something I can do to try and overcome that, or do I just have to suck it up and write?

I think I'm in the right place to find help, everyone in this forum seems to be pretty determined to get published someday, and if there's anything I can do help out - even if you just want me to send a review! - I'd be glad to help :)

xoxo

6/3/2012 #1
Marie Silver

Hi there. I would say uploading your stories to FictionPress is unlikely to hurt your chances of making it in the real world. I wouldn't worry about using FictionPress for reviews as by the time you come to submitting your work to publishers you can just remove the story from the site. And if you're worried about plagarism perhaps just upload half your story and then look for a couple of beta readers you can trust. I really wouldn't worry about this though.

With regards to your writer's block have you tried skipping past the unwritable scene and continuing from where you know the story needs to go next? That's what worked for me on one of my books. You might find it's easier to come back and write the scene later knowing how the story and the characters progress later.

Good luck with your book and getting published.

Marie Silver

6/20/2012 #2
J. A. MacKillop

Hi again, Marie

Thanks for all of your advice! I'm glad to know that posting my work here on Fictionpress won't - shouldn't - hurt my chances in the real world :)

I have tried skipping the scene I was stuck on, and I can definitely say that it helped. I got quite a bit done writing the next scene, and I was even able to make some progress on the original stuck scene.

Thanks again for all your advice and help :)

6/27/2012 #3
LittleRed42

I would suggest just posting previews or things you need help with. I don't think it will hurt your chances. I posted a lot of my works on websites and when I got published, my agent didnt really care. Now I just have previews up as a way to get people hooked. :)

10/29/2012 #4
LittleRed42

I would suggest just posting previews or things you need help with. I don't think it will hurt your chances. I posted a lot of my works on websites and when I got published, my agent didnt really care. Now I just have previews up as a way to get people hooked. :)

10/29/2012 #5
J. A. MacKillop

Thank you! :)

10/30/2012 #6
Forum Moderators: Susannah Simon
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member