Universal Historical Fiction
An open forum for anyone who post their stories in the Historical section of FictionPress. Post story ideas, advertise your story, discuss history or anything else that may come up with a Historical Story.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
shums
Hello there! I'm quite new here and I have started writing my first story (a historical) and I'm in doubt as to whether my language is OK for a historical novel...please help me! thanx~!
3/22/2008 #1
Scottish Princess

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. Whether the language is okay or not, depends entirely on what time period the story is set in. Obviously, if your story is set in the Medieval times and your characters are talking like modern-day gangstas, it wouldn't fit.

I hope I'm helping.... *bites lip nervously*

5/22/2008 #2
DaCivilWarBear

Yeah, it really depends on what era your story takes place in. If it's the 19th century, for example, rich people spoke in very flowery language, with big words and long sentences. But if they were poor, you'd see a lot of "Aw, come 'long, now, Jeb, all's I wanted was ter talk ter yer girl fer a moment, won' be a moment..." You see?

7/7/2008 #3
Forum Moderators: Rey G
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member