Haiku Purists
Are you a serious writer of haiku? Come in and share your stories and opinions!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Bitter Irony
Is anyone else bothered by the massive number of people who seem to think anything with three lines of 5-7-5 syllables is a haiku? Or people who think all haiku must have three lines of 5-7-5 syllables?
8/2/2007 #1
chocolatecuteyes
I don't think all haiku's must have 5-7-5 syllable, in fact my teacher thinks so too. He says we could write 5 words then 7 then 5 again. It might not be the 'original standard' but it could often give more depth into the story behind the poetry.
8/15/2007 #2
Smoky Bear
yep, these days it bugs me all the time... i do write haiku to that format because it is seen as the 'standard' but get annoyed by people who think that is all that haiku is, and pass generic poetry off as such.

however, when i first started doing them i was guilty of just writing a poem to that format and didn't realise it wasn't haiku. people just need educating i guess and should be informed constructively via review.

11/7/2007 #3
Wonka's Scarlett Lollies

Ummm...You mean it's not? Oops.

4/8/2008 #4
dragonflydreamer

I'm new to writing haiku. I've always known there's more to them than the whole 5-7-5 syllable thing, but I don't know exactly what. Would anyone care to explain?

6/1/2008 #5
Bitter Irony

http://ahapoetry.com/h_info.htm

And there's more where that came from, let me tell you!

6/2/2008 #6
Ventus Shadows

But you must realize that the haiku doesn't only just contain 5-7-5 syllables, but it contains nature. They aren't meant ti be detailed, but to contain the spirit of whatever it it about. And haikus are about nature. Just like Sumi-e, or Japanese ink painting, they don't make it completely fill in the whole picture, but contain the spirit of what they are painting. Same with haikus, hey contain the spirit of what you are writing about.

6/2/2008 #7
Elyon Bliss

I have read and wrote many haikus that are not about nature. I read one about zombies that was really good. Then again, they are a freak of nature so I see how it is nature. I write haikus about my friends and favorite anime/manga characters for my free time. I plan on posting some of them on here. Writing haikus is a great passion of mine.

3/27/2009 #8
Sisypheria

My teacher often scolded my fellow students and me for writing too much action into our haiku poetry. :P He told us to think of it as a poignant snapshot of a moment. Truthfully, it is quite hard to grasp what seems to be such a simple concept, and that is what people fail to understand about the haiku.

4/7/2009 #9
Miz E. Mak

I think the 5-7-5 format is a good jumping off point for poets looking to experiment with something more "strict" than open-form poetry. Haiku and Tanka are really based on the "morae" which is similar to a japanese syllable. A haiku using 17 morae and a tanka using 31. However, due to differences in their syllable and ours (they of course use symbols, not letters as we do), a more traditional English form of haiku could be a 3-5-3 (which i've played with here and there).

I think one thing we need to learn (and which most communities do have troubles with), is how to critique each other constructively so as to foster a growing community and not an exclusive, dwindling inner-group. If it hadn't been for my early infatuation with haiku/tanka, I may not have tried other forms (sonnets, rondeau, etc).

4/17/2009 #10
Elizabeth White

This is incrediably facinating. I'm just curious though . . . what is a tanka? As someone who is interested in Japnaese culture, I would really like to know so I would try to understand its background.

6/1/2009 . Edited 6/1/2009 #11
TheMockingjays
I think a haiku should have three lines, and a somewhat consistint pattern, wheather its 5-7-5 words or syllables, and should definetly have soemthing to do with nature. if it is not obviosly nature (Ex. ((itle))The flowers near river) but should have a relation to nature. (Ex. ((Title)) The world around me)
4/16/2012 #12
Forum Moderators: Bitter Irony
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member