A Place Outside the Closet
For anyone who is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Transexual, Two Spirited. We can discuss our problems, think of new poems to write, and build a community of understanding and support. Open your mind, open the closet.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
writingpistachio

Ehhh. I'm a fail, having not responded to any of the existing topics, and also having read aforementioned topics and decided y'all are nice people but not having said. anything. So I concur. The repeated sentiment does express my epic failness. But I digress.

What I really came here and added a new topic for was that I want your opinions on completely straight people reading slashes, being on gay forums, etc etc etc. Hell, my friends and I may not even be completely straight -- perhaps we're subconciously closeted -- but anyway.

Completely straight people. Reading slashes. Being on gay forums. Your opinion?

12/29/2009 #1
Point Zero

I don't think it's that odd; or an epic failure. For people who identify as heterosexual, it may be exciting or thrilling to read about escapades on the opposite spectrum. It goes into the whole curiosity bit. If you're a male, you could kiss a boy at a party and enjoy it and not be gay. That kind of thing is thrilling and different and mixy. I think the same principle applies to works of fiction with gay themes, or gay forums. It can be interesting to take a peak at something that you aren't a part of. Plus, there's that whole bit of some women enjoying boys making out about as much as some guys enjoy watching girls make out. I view it as people being interested in something they're not used to/don't experience.

And don't feel like a fail just because you haven't commented on another thread. A bunch of homosexual people discussing similar topics can be intimidating for a straight person, I think. But don't worry, most of us are very friendly, and enjoy getting love from That Other Community, haha. :] I hope my views interested you.

1/16/2010 #2
writingpistachio

They were interesting, definitely. But, I don't know. I don't think it's exciting or thrilling. *shrug* It's just like a straight romance novel, only with a gay couple. In my case, since they're two girls, it's not thrilling, because if I wish they're real, I wish they're my friends, you know? I dunno. It's very... what's the word I'm looking for? There's a word when a relationship isn't romantic, I just can't remember it right now. Platonic? Is that the word I'm looking for? I think so. So, slashes are very platonic for me. Love scenes can be exciting, but it's not like ZOMG GUYONGUY [or girl on girl] ACTION HAWWWWTT. *shrug*

Gay people don't intimidate me. *thinks* I kinda think of it as having different favourite colours, if that makes sense at all? It's kind of the way I explain it to the more open 'phobes at school. It's like, you can't hate someone if their favourite colour is red when yours is green, and vice versa. I'm not intimidated by a buncha people raving about the colour red, if that makes any sense. xD

Hope I don't sound as negative as I think I do!

1/16/2010 #3
Allegretto Brioso

I simply say that the different view is interesting... that it's better to delve slightly into something and try to understand the relationships than to stand back and gape and gawk without even knowing the smallest bit.

3/29/2011 #4
Nubtrof

I enjoy your offerings to this Forum, I agree--we need more straight opinions in the gay side of things! It is not like we live on a different side of the world/country/town/house... we share this earth and thus we should share opinions!

As for "heterosexuals reading homosexual literature" I agree with you, writingpistachio, I could see it as more Platonic. Heterosexual romance to me is more romantic than erotic, and as such, holds a different appeal. It is literature, afterall. The only difference should be the characters. So interesting thoughts, and I encourage more!

3/29/2011 #5
Felix Golden

I think that straight people can read slash fiction if they want to. And gay people can read straight fiction if they want to. Liking a type of couple in books or stories does not rely on your sexual orientation. It's just preference.

1/16 #6
Forum Moderators: Nubtrof
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member