Spider's Web
Clever name eh? Okay a forum basically to discuss your own work and others and have an aimless chat about stuff. So get Inspired, everyone's welcome!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
InspiredSpider
I'll tell you what's depressing about being an (aspiring) author is that your books become bigger than you. For example, if you think of 90% of the books you read, do you actually pay attention to the authors? I do, but I know not everybody does... It also can make the author go a little unnoticed.... in my opinion the most underated author is Dianne Wynne Jones I LOVE HER you should really read her stuff. Join in the discussion, tell me what you think. I'm trying to build up my own little community (mwa ha ha) on here before I start discussing my own work and fictionpress. TELL ME STUFF, lets get to know eachother (that sounded a little stalkerish...)
10/24/2006 #1
Serriph
Woooh, let's talk to the stalker :P.

To answer your question, I usually only look up the author if I thoroughly enjoyed their book. I might then do a bit of digging on the internet, and hunt down a bit of information about the author, and some of their other works. My favourite author is Stephenie Meyer, and when I read Twilight, I immediately went to my computer and searched her name. Normally, I recognize names of authors, but I don't always do research or remember much about them, except for their titles.

10/24/2006 #2
The Egg
I LOVE Bret Easton Ellis, especially in "The Rules of Attraction", which also had a really great movie to it. Even though she's only written one book so far, Maria McCann (not the actress) is good too. Arthur Neresian's "Chinese Takeout" is excellent, and on the whole Asian thing, Justin Chin's poetry and Chang-rae Lee's "A Gesture Life" is amazing.

And about the whole 'community' thing, I want to be part of one, so that's cool.

I've never heard of Stepenie Meyer, what genre does she write in? Whatever, I'll look it up.

10/28/2006 #3
InspiredSpider
The Rules of Attraction is one of my all time favourite books (and films)! Just thought I'd say that lol
10/29/2006 #4
M.R.Sanner
She wrote Tale of Time city right ? I love that book its a great book ^ ^ .
10/31/2006 #5
The Egg
I'm having book overload...I got my orders in from Amazon and I'm practically busting trying to read all of them at once...Well, here's what I have so far:

I just got Justin Chin's newest book, 'Gutted', which was published on my birthday.

'M. Butterfly', a play by David Henry Hwang, it was really sad and funny,

'The Menstruating Mall' (hilarious) by Carlton Mellick III

'Wicked' by...I don't remember, I'll have to look, but it was about the wicked witch of the west in The Wizard of Oz. Sort of long-winded, but it's really good.

'Green Roses' by Thomas Boggs sucked majorly. Never read it, ever ever ever. My friend (who just so happens to be a girl) convinced me to read it and it's basically just smut.

11/2/2006 #6
Serriph
I don't think I've heard of any of those except for Wicked, but that's because of the performance of it that's in Toronto. It's kind of funny how whenever people advise me never to read a book, I always want to check it out, just to see if it's really that bad xP.
11/2/2006 #7
The Egg
Greeeaat...I just helped it to be more popular...

I've heard of Wicked before my aunt bought it for my birthday. I sort of loosely follow the happenings on Broadway. But yeah.

11/4/2006 #8
Serriph
I wouldn't have known about the Wicked performance were it not for the million advertisements I heard about it on the radio (which did kind of get annoying) and because of the trip that my school's having to go see it. I think it was only for the senior english and drama classes, though :x.
11/4/2006 #9
All Alone With Her Thoughts
I only look at the authors if I really like the book - besides that, I have to admit that I don't usually.

And yes, Dianna Wynne Jones is one of my favourite authors too. Her work is amazing. I also read a lot of Tamora Pierce's books. She just wrote a new book, and I'm half way through it. So far so good.

I love Wicked. I saw it on Broadway with my school and also read the book and it's sequal. And I'm obssesed with the music. =D

11/5/2006 #10
InspiredSpider
That's not fair, now I want to watch "Wicked" too. It's showing in the West End so maybe I will. I'll read the book first- although I didn't even know there was a book, but yeah. Thats the thing, theres no such thing as bad publicity, you mention "Wicked" and now everyones raving about it lol.
11/7/2006 #11
Oh. You should go see it. It's amazing.

I read the book afterwards. It doesn't really matter much, because the book and the play are very different, besides the fact that they have the same basic plot lines.

For example, in the book Elphaba (the wicked witch) is half female, half male. Strange, right?

11/7/2006 #12
The Egg
Hey, sorry to divert from the whole 'Wicked' thing (it is a great play), but I got more books:

'No-no Boy' by Jon Okada. Is uber-boring, but the dialogue is amazing.

'Miss Misery' by Andy Greenwald. It sounds like Andy G. and Joe Meno (Hairstyles of the Damned) have a lot in common, I've only just started reading the book, though.

'lucky wander boy' by D.B. Weiss. Yeah, having 'boy' in the title seems to be a catch for me. You'd better not infer anything from that, either...but I've only just started this book too...

Alright, last but not least, 'Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain'. Suckish title, but HIGHLY addicting, and highly recommended. Some guy rips a page out of an encyclopedia and is convinced that it says his destiny on it...This guy has godlike abilities in character design. Oh, yeah, it's by Jeffrey Moore.

11/8/2006 #13
*laughs*

Oh, alright, we'll stop rambling on about "Wicked".

I have never heard of any of those books - but the "Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain" sounds very intresting.

I have to read "Jane Erye" for school. It's rather...horrible. Majorally boring.

Um. What other books? I'm three-fourths of the way through Tamora Pierce's new book, Terrier, which so far, is very good. It takes place before the Alanna sieres and is written in the form of a journal, something new for Pierce's wrtting styles. I highly recommend it.

11/8/2006 #14
Serriph
"Prisoner in a Red-Rose Chain" DOES sound really interesting. I haven't been reading very much lately, but now I have a whole list of things to check out next time I go to Chapters xD.

I haven't read any of Tamora Pierce's books for a long time, now. I've read a lot of her novels, but I wasn't too fond of Trickster's Choice. It sort of turned me off her books for quite a while now. I might give it another chance later, though. And I really SHOULD reread her books. I'd have to hunt them down, though. My house is a mess and I don't have all of them xD.

11/8/2006 #15
Does it? I shall check it out next time I go to the libaray. Oh, whoops, that was yesterday. Oh well, I'll get around to reading it, sometime...

I have to agree. Trickter's Choice was NOT by far her best book. But her new one is actually pretty good. I have to say the Alanna sieres was her best. At least, that's what I think.

11/9/2006 #16
The Egg
Jane Eyre was cited (or whatever you call it) in a book by John Irving, and since I'm obsessed with him, I tried reading it. Tried, and failed. Blegghhh...

? I've never heard of Tamora Pierce. I'll look her up.

11/10/2006 #17
Yes, well, I would have given up reading Jane Erye a LONGGGG time ago, but I have to finish it for school. It's torture. Really.

I'm guessing that you're male from your username, so I'm not sure if you'll like Tamora Pierce's stuff. They all center around female heroes - which of course that doesn't mean you won't like the story, but I'm just warning you. They're written for girls. But you should try them, they're really good. =D

11/10/2006 #18
Royal Bliss
I LOVE Bret Easton Ellis

Oh my god! You've heard of him?! S*** man everyone I talk to hasn't heard of him. That's awesome. I love "American Psycho"..

11/10/2006 #19
Serriph
I'll have to pick up Tamora Pierce's new book, sometime. The second book from the Alanna series was actually the first Tamora Pierce book I've read, "In The Hand of the Goddess," I think it was called. I read it several years ago, and I was instantly hooked. It's difficult to pick a favourite amongst her writings, since I'm really fond of a lot of them. The Song of the Lioness quartet (or the Alanna series) was really good, but I also really enjoyed Protector of the Small, as well. I seriously have to go reread those books. It's hard talking about it when I'm trying to remember what happened xD.
11/10/2006 #20
The Egg
Nobody I know (personally) knows B.E.E either. If I could have a style like any author in the world, past or present, I would pick these four:

Bret Easton Ellis

Mark Twain

John Irving

and Joe Meno.

You guys?

11/11/2006 #21
I have to agree. Tamora Pierce is awesome.

Oh, so I FINALLY finished her new books. It was pretty good, but still, the Alanna books remain my favourites. I do like the consepts in the book. Here's the link to amazon if you want a detailed describition of it: http://www.amazon.com/Terrier-Beka-Cooper-Tamora-Pierce/dp/037581468X/sr=8-1/qid=1163295874/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2938400-0506503?ie=UTF8&s=books

Sorry if there are typo's - I'm typing in the dark, don't ask.

Did I meantion I met Tamora Pierce a couple years ago in NY. That was pretty cool, and I have a lot of books that are signed thanks to that. She's really nice. =D

11/11/2006 #22
Royal Bliss
I'd attempt to have a style like:

Jean M. Auel

Bret Easton Ellis

Harlan Coben

Max Barry

11/11/2006 #23
Serriph
Wow! Meeting Tamora Pierce must have been amazing. I'm jealous :P.

Terrier sounds really interesting, and I'm really eager to read it, now. I still haven't found the time to hunt down her older books, though :[.

11/11/2006 #24
InspiredSpider
The style I would have if I could is Lemony Snicket (AKA Dan Handler) he's just ingenious... A Series Of Unfortunate Events must seriously be some of the cleverest books ever written.

Failing that, Roald Dahl- but I think there's only ONE Roald Dahl, I don't think anyone could take his style.

11/12/2006 #25
Meeting her was amazing.

Has anyone read "A Great and Terrible Beauty"? I just finished it's sequel - is it called "Rebel Angels"?

Is there suppose to be a third book?

11/12/2006 #26
Machete-soul-dance
'Fraid not.

Just back onto the Tamora books, is the sequel actually out? I know Trickster's Choice is, but Trickster's Queen? I can't find it anywhere in England, :(

11/15/2006 #27
Yes, Tricker's Queen has been out for some time.

You live in England? That's so cool! I've always wanted to go to England...

Try checking on something like Amazon and and ordering it online.

11/15/2006 #28
Machete-soul-dance
Hmmm....England sucks. Always raining. And you have to wear dumb uniforms, :(

GAH! I want to read Tamora Pierce's books!

11/18/2006 #29
Really? Oh, well, I don't really mind the rain. I actually like it. But that's because where I live it never rains...

Is anyone besides me not recieving emails from fictionpress? Like, for their review alerts and so on. It's not my email, because I can get emails from other people...

11/19/2006 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: InspiredSpider
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member