Mlle Kumquat's Enlightened Salon
Mostly Dead.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
dbz 77
Which books- fiction or nonfiction- inspire you when writing stories?

Michael

11/6/2007 #1
Kumquat21
I feel immature when I say a fiction book inspires me - I can't write based of another person's book. I feel sullied and plagiarizing. I to use an encyclopedia of mythology and baby-name book for naming characters. Inspiration comes from everywhere.
12/21/2007 #2
Alice Potato
Certain fiction books do inspire me for sure. Not in the sense that I want to rip off their book, but, for example, I've been reading a lot of books set in Victorian London, and I really want to write a story with a Victorian setting now.

Also, nonfiction books about ancient civilisations always make me want to write about those civilisations.

1/1/2008 #3
KnittingKneedle
All kinds of things inspire me, and I'm not ashamed to say that fiction inspires me. Certain genres, certain characters that I read about can set the imagination buzzing.

Stuff that's happened in my life, in the lives of others and in the news also inspire me. Life is one big inspiration!

1/6/2008 #4
Kumquat21
Hmm, I should have clarified - modern and 'popular fiction' books I may feel inspired from, but I do not write based on those. The only books I base stories on are so-called 'classics' that are allowed to be the framework for things - for instance, in the work I'm currently working, most of the imagery is 'Alice in Wonderland' and 'Peter Pan' based. I would never do that for a book that has a copyright still in affect, and I would never write something continuing on directly (or even just with the same characters/setting) as another's individual book - I save that for fan-fiction. However, if I have read a stream of books say in Victorian England, like Alice Potato said, that may influence me.
1/15/2008 #5
Forum Moderators: Kumquat21
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member