The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fractured Illusion

This is the topic to change the future!

Or at least, change things about RG. Even if you don't have a suggestion, please come and join the debates so we can gain perspectives on which things to implement and not to implement. Remember, this is about the RG future!

If you have a suggestion to improve The Review Game, or a suggestion on a topic to add to this forum, or something else entirely, please state it here. We are much interested in your ideas.

When you make a suggestion; please, I ask that you have thought this through! Give a detailed, thorough description of your suggestion. How would it work practically, why do we need to follow your suggestion, etc. For a suggestion to be desirable, it needs to work practically so tell how that would come to be.

Make the suggestion as easy to understand as possible, and have is as self-sufficient as possible.

Also: your suggestions cannot rely simply on mods. The ideal is the Review Game, which takes care of itself aside from mods needing to correct people doing it wrong every now and then.

This topic is also for examinators in Review Marathon to register.

Artists that wish to join Artist - Author Trade sign up their artist profiles here.

11/11/2007 . Edited 7/11/2010 #1
Otseis Ragnarok
How about a topic to help authors improve their work? I kinda already made something like that on here alrady, but nobody seems interested...

What do you think of that idea?

BTW, Is it wierd to see me actually being serious?

1/4/2008 #2
Fractured Illusion
@Onar

I like the idea. Reminds me of my former topic over at RR, the one with titles and summary improvements. :P

Why it got so little attention, though? Hmm... Make the post a bit different. Like...simplyfy it. Maybe that will help (ie: "Is something in your writing troubling you? Come here and we'll try to help you out together!")

I see no problem with it. Point is, for a mass to come, ONE has to come. Sooo...we need a sacrifice...

*looks around*

BTW, Is it wierd to see me actually being serious?

No. Your writing is of the serious kind. An author is his work. I am not surprised at all. I shall yawn in your face to illustrate this. *yawns in Onar's face to illustrate this*

Har har.

@All-

Is it just me and Onar that like the idea, and you all others don't? If so, please state it.

If there is something wrong/unappealing with the current Story improvements topic, please also mention it!

^^

1/4/2008 #3
Otseis Ragnarok
Make the post a bit different. Like...simplyfy it. Maybe that will help

Yeah... that's probably it...

Thanks for saving my self-esteem...

1/4/2008 #4
Imalefty
yeah, i think it could just become a "help" topic... like... if someone needs help, he/she can request it and others can respond. that way, it's not like someone is getting unwanted help. :)

-Lefty

1/4/2008 #5
Fractured Illusion
So, everyone. What is the conclusion? Will the topic be altered? Deleted and made anew? Hm?
1/7/2008 #6
Narc
I'd almost say go as far to make different topics for different areas of story help. One for plot/character help and one for technical or stylistic aspects.

But yeah, it's a good idea.

1/7/2008 #7
Fractured Illusion
But why divide? Maybe you need both. I mean, such a separation of the topic would require a popularity to form around the Story Improvements topic, that makes it necessary to divide it. But that popularity has yet to come.

So I ask; what's the point?

1/7/2008 #8
Narc
I just feel that those are two very distinct areas, really. It would encourage people to ask more specific problems instead of just coming onto a 'story help' topic and asking something general like 'how do I make my story better?'.
1/7/2008 #9
Fractured Illusion
Well, I do agree that the person should be specific about what they want help in/what area, but that does not completely justify two separate topics.

Or does it?

Anyone else with an input? One opinion versus another won't show everyone's views correctly ^^;

On another note..

NEW SUGGESTION

Should there be another "Review Titles/Summaries" thread over here too? RR is quite dead and people won't really look there no more for any help. Yet I do not know...is there even a need for it?

*mixed feelings*

1/7/2008 #10
Imalefty
well, i guess i half agree with both of you, which is kind of... not helpful, but here goes...

i agree with frac that we don't necessarily need two seperate topics. however, this would only work if the participants were very specific in what they need help with...

so, i agree with narc that two seperate topics would help with narrowing down the advice. and those two topics are very different aspects of a piece, so i guess it would be a nice way to split them up. also, people who are only "good" at one thing can freely participate in the topic that best suits them.

and as for a titles/summaries topic... i mean, i guess you could make it. i got some good info from the review revolution's topic... but i never really used it myself. i guess others use it, though, so that could be good. :) generally with titles/summaries, i try to think of what would catch my interest as a reader.

oh, and frac... do you think you should flag the actual review game topics? is it necessary?

-Lefty

1/7/2008 #11
Fractured Illusion
@Story Improvements

Well, then we specify in the FIRST post that the person that needs help NEEDS to tell what area they want help in. And then whoever that can answer, will answer.

@Titles and Summary Topic

Hmm...Well, as the request does not seem that big at the moment, I will hold it off ^^

@Flagging Review Games

I thought about this at first, but then I figured that the Read This First! topic would be less apparent to the eyes, and less glaringly obvious to read. That was my only concern to NOT flag them (also, we didn't have that many topics to confuse them with or something).

I have a dislike for seeing too many flagged topics ^^; So I am biased on this one.

PEOPLE, CAST YOUR VOTES!

Otherwise I will rule this site however *I* want it. Mawahahahah!

*suddenly forgets lefty*

*goes to change Onar's topic so it is more according to what us ladies decided :P *

1/8/2008 #12
Otseis Ragnarok
Here are my thoughts:

specify in the FIRST post that the person that needs help NEEDS to tell what area they want help in. And then whoever that can answer, will answer.

I like that idea. Two topics seem a little bit excessive, so one would be fine for now. If the one gets backed-up, we can always create another...

Also, goes to change Onar's topic so it is more according to what us ladies decided

WTF? So you're it's mamma now?

... and I'm the daddy?

We're it's parents? But we didn't even....

awww....

1/8/2008 #13
Fractured Illusion
*le sigh*

This is just like you, Onar! You finally get some action, but what do you do?! You're unconscious through it all! *grr*

I'm going back to Lefty now! Hmpf!

I like that idea. Two topics seem a little bit excessive, so one would be fine for now. If the one gets backed-up, we can always create another...

Yay, score 1 to Frac's side!

1/8/2008 #14
Otseis Ragnarok
This is just like you, Onar! You finally get some action, but what do you do?! You're unconscious through it all! *grr*

It's not my fault you're no good at it... If you had REAL skill, I would've woken up...

1/8/2008 #15
Imalefty
...what? XD

there is no daddy... i don't think. XD there was an OBGYN, though, i'm sure.

-Lefty

1/8/2008 #16
Otseis Ragnarok
You deny my input? But I...

I Fathered it! I put my seed in here, and y'all act like I'm nothing...

Fine! But don't expect any child support from this one!

1/9/2008 #17
Fractured Illusion
SUGGESTION:

As a way to advertise, should we make it a requirement that when people review in the review game, they state on the first line (that is to be an entire paragraph) that the review comes from the Review Game?

Ie:

"Heya, from the Review Game!

blablabla"

1/13/2008 #18
Narc
I don't like that as a rule. I think it's fine if people want to include that, and many do, but personally I feel like I'm telling the author and everyone else who reads the review that I only reviewed their story because of a game, not because I actually liked the story.
1/13/2008 #19
Fractured Illusion
But that is the review game. You reviewed because of the game. If someone reviews a story they like, it is only a plus. O_o

Why try to come off as something we're not? This is a place to come if you want opinions on your story, good or bad, that you wouldnt have gotten otherwise.

I was just thinking of this, since we did it in the Review Revolution.

1/13/2008 #20
KnittingKneedle
I suppose it might be a good way to generate more publicity...though I don't know if it should be a rule (I'd probably forget anyway!)
1/13/2008 #21
Imalefty
i include it only because i want the writer to know that their request for the review game has been filled. i want them to know that i found them on the review game and have now satisfied the request. it's not like i DON'T like their story - i read it, after all. (i generally don't finish stories i don't like reading) and i guess it does generate publicity. :)

personally, i like it a bit better when people tell me if they're reviewing for the game or not... that way, i know where they're coming from. (if you know what i mean?) i also know if the game has been continued or not.

i guess it doesn't have to be a rule... but those who want to can certainly do it. :)

-Lefty

1/13/2008 #22
Otseis Ragnarok
Wait, we didn't have to do that?

Hmm... I'll keep doing it anyway. It feels right, 'sides starting a review is kind of difficult as it is. I find it as a nice way to break the ice...

1/17/2008 #23
Narc
Could we add a topic to discuss the craft of fiction writing in general? Like, everyone has different opinions on how certain things should be done, and it would be fun to discuss and debate them in a friendly environment.
1/21/2008 #24
Fractured Illusion
How would it differ from the Story Improvement topic?
1/22/2008 #25
Narc
It would be about topics on writing in general, not for feedback on a story.
1/22/2008 #26
Otseis Ragnarok
Could we add a topic to discuss the craft of fiction writing in general? Like, everyone has different opinions on how certain things should be done, and it would be fun to discuss and debate them in a friendly environment.

I like that Idea... We could discuss writing, coping with writer's block, etc... But maybe we should set up various topics, to be a little more specific about it all...

1/23/2008 #27
Fractured Illusion
@Onar - Does this mean there should be different threads for differnet topics? Or should every poster make clear on what they are posting about in their posts? Kinda like this:

"ABOUT CHARACTERISATION; my view is blabla"

something like that? A mandatory mention of which topic it is?

1/23/2008 #28
Otseis Ragnarok
I think we should do a seperate thread for each topic, this way, nobody will interrupt a good discussion with some random, off-topic statement, blowing everyone off-track. Also, we have the potential to introduce more people into a well-developed discussion this way.

Above all else, howevr, this will prevent an overflow of e-mails to people who only want to be a part of one or two discussions ratherthan one which involves evryone on the topic. Not to mention how annoying it is to put a heading on every post you make.

The same should be done with the off-topic: One for chat, one for... something else, one for asking for dispute settlement in the various review games, etc.

1/23/2008 #29
Fractured Illusion
Okay... This means I want SPECIFIC requirements of what new topics you want created on these general discussions.

And you want a new Off Topic?

Off Topic: Chat (check)

Off Topic: RG problems (but wait! This is just like the "Problems/Questions about the RG" topic! We don't need this)

Off Topic: Something else (what?)

*question mark*

:P

1/23/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member