The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 .. Last Next »
simpleplan13

The thing is when there's no ppl here and I have no other assignments I have nothing to do. Literally. So we're pretty much allowed to do whatever online... it's a pretty chill office. Plus the guy next to me does like negative amounts of work.

Please forward all replies to Off Topic so Frac does not get mad... lol

5/29/2008 #1,141
Fractured Illusion

@Poll of decapitation

WTF happened to my poll? O_o

5/29/2008 #1,142
Hed in the Cloudz

It seems to be nonexistent. Perhaps Lime's disappearance had something to do with it?

5/29/2008 #1,143
Imalefty

agh, i was kidding, mini. XD i know you don't hate me.

-Lefty

5/29/2008 #1,144
simpleplan13

Lefty, I know you were kidding. I was kidding too, silly.

5/29/2008 #1,145
Imalefty

stupid internet! the inability to detect voice cues leads to... well... bad things. XD

and i will stop spamming the topic now. :D

-Lefty

5/29/2008 #1,146
Fractured Illusion

Because of this, we will do the poll I want to do!!!

BEWARE!

5/30/2008 #1,147
Fractured Illusion

@New Sug: Valuable links for writing

I think it would be really helpful if we (in the Elements topic for example) allowed people to contribute with links they think could help when writing (and a short description of what it contains) and then edit it all in into the first post of that topic for a nice overview. Ie:

Links about developing your character:

Link 1 - short description

Link 2 - short description

Links about general articles concerning writing:

Link 1 - short description

etc etc.

I'm biased but I like the idea and I'd like to see all helpful links gathered in one place.

Should we incorporate this into the Elements of Writing or make a thread for it especially or not care about it at all?

In Element and Story Improvement people can contribute links, but it's not an encouraged department of its own, and also the links given would be efficiently gathered in one spot. So how about it?

6/1/2008 . Edited 6/1/2008 #1,148
KnittingKneedle

I think putting it into the elements first post is a good idea :)

6/1/2008 #1,149
Fractured Illusion

I think so too :p

Getting an entire topic for it seems a bit too much for me, but Elements is a good match!

Any other bidders?

6/1/2008 #1,150
Fractured Illusion

On the other hand, an entire topic would be helpful in the way that links has a department of its own and doesn't conflict with the main purpose of Elements. It would also look much "cleaner" to have a topic for it. (Also I am not too happy editing Narc's first post all the time because it feels weird changing other people's posts :p)

But I don't know..I'm torn HOW to do it, but I know I want to do it. :p If that makes sense

Edit: Score! Virginity!

Edit 2: I am gonna keep the Read This First! post here for safekeeping...just in case!

Welcome!

You have now entered the Review Game. Any harm, mental instability, or obsession that may be created upon your person cannot be held against the Review Game. Reading that line has hereby made you sign the unwritten contract that shall not be spoken of. I am glad you agree.

Ahem. Despite this post's length, please read it through (at least the rules concerning what you want to participate in). It contains your rights and obligations should you play in the Review Game.

First, I must mention that this is not a group you can become a member in. We have no members, only players. Come and go whenever you like. All we ask is that if you do play, follow the rules, or you'll end up without a review.

There are different kinds of categories to play in, in the Review Game, so find the one most fitting for you.

And don't forget: Be nice! This is regarding your entire activity here on the forums. We want no arguments. If its that important, take it to the PM's. If it has to do with the review game, tell the moderators. But don't bother others about it.

Here are all the headlines in this post:

FOR QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

GOT SUGGESTIONS?

CATEGORIES

BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE REVIEW GAME

BASIC STRUCTURE OF RG MULTI-CHAPTER

BASIC STRUCTURE OF FIGHT FOR THE FREEBIE

RULES FOR ALL GAME THREADS

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE REVIEW GAME MULTI-CHAPTER

RULES FOR FIGHT FOR THE FREEBIE

PUNISHMENTS

FOR QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

Go to the thread that deals with Problems/Questions. Be sure the problem is not already spoken of in the rules. Aside from this post, that holds all common rules for all the four review games, each review game have its own additional rules depending on how to construct a review.

GOT SUGGESTIONS?

Go to the Suggestion topic and present your idea there.

CATEGORIES

Review Games:

The Review Game: Stories -Depth-

Here you come to review a story and get a review for your story in return. As this is Depth, your review must naturally contain more depth. For further information, look at the first post at that topic

The Review Game: Stories -Easy Fix-

Here you review and get a review for a story, but as this is Easy Fix, it does not hold the same standards and much less effort on your part is required. For more information, look at the first post for that topic

The Review Game: Poems -Depth-

Like the same for stories, but the categories differ slightly. And this is for poems. For more info, look at the first post at that topic

The Review Game: Poems -Easy Fix-

Like the one for stories, except this is regarding poems.

The Review Game: Multi-chapters -Depth-

This is intended for stories with 4 or more chapters. So to get to later chapters, there is a reviewing process of several chapters at a time. This RG is more complex than the others, so you will have to follow the guidelines carefully. The review requirement is depth.

The Review Game: Multi-chapters -Easy Fix-

This is intended for stories with 4 or more chapters. So to get to later chapters, there is a reviewing process of several chapters at a time. This RG is more complex than the others, so you will have to follow the guidelines carefully. The review requirement is easy fix.

It is entirely optional for an author, that has more than 4 chapters in their story, to go to the normal RG Stories, or to the RG Multi-chap! They can play in neither, either, or both! No restrictions as long as their story and reviews given fulfills the criteria established.

Our competitions:

Review Marathon

Since January, we've started this to have as a monthly event, where we spread reviews all over the site. The Review Games produces a lot of in-breeding here, so it's nice to get some time-out from all that and see other people's works. Those who spread the review love the most gets some loving back, too. Read the first post in the Review Marathon topic for further details.

Fight For the Freebie

This forum already had review exchanges, and it had a monthly competition. But it did not have a regular freebie give-away. That's what this topic is for: when someone feels generous but don't know where to direct that overwhelming emotion, just let others fight for it, instead! So now that this forum has reached number one on the forum list, we are glad to introduce Fight For The Freebie: a friendly competition for all to play.

BASIC STRUCTURE OF THE REVIEW GAME

Person 1 says: Review "My Lucky Dream"!

Person 2 says: Ok, I reviewed it. So can the next person please review "Stereotypes" or "Window"?

Person 3 says: Done (I did "Window"), so can the next person review "Stranger"? Thanks.

And at such it carries onwards. Should both person 2 and 3 have reviewed person 1, Rule 10 applies. Then it goes like this:

Person 1 says: Review "My Lucky Dream"!

Person 2 says: Ok, I reviewed "My Lucky Dream", please look at "Window".

Person 3 says: I reviewed "My Lucky Dream", please read "Stranger". Thanks!

Person 1 does: He reviews Person 2, as he got two reviews. The review to person 2 is a makeup review, and Person 3 is left to be reviewed by the next participant.

Person 4 says: Okay, I reviewed "Stranger". "Without me", please!

BASIC STRUCTURE OF RG MULTI-CHAPTER

Person 1: Please review "This."

Person 2: I reviewed two chapters of "This." please review two chapters of "That."

Person 3: I reviewed five chapters of "That." please review five chapters of "Yay."

Person 4: I reviewed five chapters of "Yay." "Story" only has four chapters, so please review all of them.

(This is more complex than other RGs so read the first post in these RGs and the rules here carefully)

BASIC STRUCTURE OF FIGHT FOR THE FREEBIE

Freebie 1: I give one free review to anyone who can guess my country!

1: Russia?

Freebie: Bingo, 1! Spot on! What do you want reviewed?

1: My poem "Animal"

Freebie 1: CLOSED

Freebie 2: I give 3 reviews to the person who posts here first! (I only review stories)

2: Me! Please review "Skyscrapers"

Freebie 2: CLOSED

RULES FOR ALL GAME THREADS

1) The Review Game is optional. No one is forced to participate. But if you do, do it according to the rules, and don't leave flames.

2) You may enter The Game how many times as you'd like. But you can't make two posts containing your stories (or other people's stories) at the same time without someone else having posted in between. And reviewing yourself doesn't count either.

3) About reviewing: *you* must review the person above your future post *before* posting (the most recent post, so to speak). Thus you have earned yourself a review. Aka, before Person 2 can post, he had to review Person 1 first. How the review is constructed, view the first post of the Review Game you wish to post in.

4) In your post, you are required to state what story/poem you want reviewed. Saying "I reviewed" is not adequate. The title of the story/poem needs to be stated.

5) If you want a story of yours to be reviewed, don't go to the Poem Review Game. You will not be counted as a participant then, and thus won't earn a review, even if you have given one.

6) Keep the unnecessary posts in the Review Game threads at a minimum. I want it to be clear who is supposed to read what story. For discussion and questions, etc, go to the Problems/Questions thread.

7) If the story above yours is a multi-chap, you are only obliged to leave one review. Remember: *One* review is required as the minimum. Going above it is not discouraged, however.

8) There is no obligation to review the person that reviewed you. The only person you must review is the latest addition.

9) You are allowed to leave several suggestions in your own post for a story of yours the person after can review. *But* the person after you is still only obliged to leave one review on whichever story they choose from your selected ones.

Also, you are allowed to leave a story *not* your own as the one to be reviewed, if perhaps for a friend that you know wants some feedback.

10) If you have already reviewed the above story, *prior* to this challenge (or have promised to review it, *prior* to this challenge), you can not use that as a free pass. That is cheating. I hereby allow others to ignore those who do that, and thus not leaving them a review (instead, they should review the person that was not originally reviewed).

Exception of that rule: *However*, if you have not reviewed all chapters, you *are* allowed to review one of those un-reviewed, thus legally earning yourself a position in the game (ie, out of a 4 chapter story, you had only reviewed 2 chapters. If you now review the 3rd one due to wanting to enter The Game, you have left the mandatory review and you're thus all set) Again, I repeat, this does not count for those that have made prior promises to review all/certain chapters before committing to The Game.)

11) Should it be, that in the rare case of two or more people reviewing your story (and posting), the person that got reviewed multiple times will review back. So, if two reviewed the same story, the author will review to the first of the two that posted. The last one is to be treated like a normal poster that is to be reviewed by a new one. Example:

Person A posts. Person B reads, reviews and posts, shortly followed by C (that reviews A's story too). Person A will then review B back, and C will be treated like any normal participant, since he was last.

12) If you feel any injustice has happened to you, for example you were missed out of the opportunity to get a review, and the person who is supposed to review has not, please contact any of the mods here, and also state on the Review Game thread you are playing that this person has not reviewed, and thus do not deserve to be reviewed, either.

13) When you write an off topic post, other than stating it is an off topic post, ALSO state which story is up for being reviewed. People will get confused otherwise.

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE REVIEW GAME MULTI-CHAPTER

14) You must have at least 4 chapters for the story you want to play with in these two RGs.

15) This RG reviews several chapters at a time. Your minimum to review is what the person above asked you, or if they have not specified: the same amount that the person above reviewed themselves. But you can review more, of course. If you review more than requested, you can also request more.

16) You always have the option to request less, as long as it is not below 2 reviews.

17) The minimum of reviews you can request is 2. The maximum number of reviews you can request is 6. If a person request a number of reviews that do not go between two and six, it means they have not read the rules. Thus the next person can freely choose any number from two to six, assuming the person waiting to be reviewed otherwise fulfills the criteria.

18) There is a restriction to the above rule. If your request includes a chapter with more than 4,000 words, you can only request up to 4 chapters max. Even if you had to review a six chaptered story. And if you have more than one requested chapter over 4,000 words, you can only request a maximum of 3 chapters.

19) You can only enter stories, not poems.

20) If the person above you have not specified any number of chapters to review, you cannot review less than what they have reviewed. Ie, they reviewed 3 chapters. So you cannot review 2 chapters from them.

21) Naturally, for every chapter you read you give a review to. You do not give a single review of all the chapters when you finished reading. If you read two chapters, you must have left two reviews, etc.

RULES FOR FIGHT FOR THE FREEBIE

1) There will be no review exchanges. The person who asks a question (the review-giver) is obliged to give away at least one review to the person who gets it right.

2) There can only be one competition at a time. When one closes, another may begin.

3) The person who starts a new competition is the one who is to give away at least one review. Their first post will ask the question (or ask them to do a specified action). That question/requested action will be written in bold. When the review-giver has a winner and knows what to review, they make a post saying CLOSED. This must also be in bold.

4) The review-giver must ask the winner what they want reviewed before closing. But unless the winner wants another person than themselves to be reviewed, the review-giver is allowed to choose a different story of the winner.

5) The questions/actions must be reasonable and be possible to accomplish. It is allowed to be hard, but if it is, the review-giver must be ready to give helpful hints along the way.

6) If several people say the right answer, the review-giver is only obliged to give a review to the first winner.

7) If the contest has no winner within 5 days, it will be closed, and a new one may start.

8) The review-giver is allowed to give hints. They are only obliged to if there is no winner after 3 days.

9) The review-giver is allowed to limit their demographic by saying they will only review stories or poems, or any other reasonable limitation.

10) The winner is allowed to request the review(s) for a story/poem that is not their own.

11) You can guess how many times you want. But it won't help if you guess the same as someone else. First to guess right is first to win.

12) Your guessing-post can only contain 4 guesses max. For further guesses you have to make another post, etc.

13) The review-giver can never close a competition until he/she has asked the winner what they want reviewed

14) If a winner have been announced, but the winner isn't online to claim what they want reviewed, the review-giver may still close the contest if they PM the winner in question and can thus communicate that way. This means the review-giver has to have the PM function. Otherwise waiting is the only option. But they must still have fulfilled rule 13.

15) If a review-giver open a competition but abandons it thereafter, it will be closed after one day of inactivity from the review-giver. This will not happen if other people have not replied for over a day.

PUNISHMENTS

We here at RG all love to keep it nice and friendly. But this is not always the case, so we have to take counter measures. First things first: We take reviews and reviewing seriously. RG is all about giving and getting reviews. If someone does not live up to their end of the deal, there will be consequences.

We do PM and warn of these things prior, thus it will not come out of the blue.

We reserve ourselves for the right to ban for other reasons. If us mods are not obeyed properly, or if someone is behaving very rudely to others, warning and/or banning will ensue.

General Rule of banning:

We at the RG want to focus our attention on playing the RG. However, there are unfortunate times where participants step out of line. It is in these instances that we must take action.

You can be banned for:

Excessive spamming

Vulgar/Dirty language

Ignoring direct requests from moderators

Though, we mods reserve ourselves for the right to find other behaviors/actions as grounds for banning.

If you are banned, you will not be re-admitted into the Review Game forum until you fulfill these criteria:

1) You will have stepped up in rank (ie... from newbie to apprentice).

2) You will write a "reflection" on the behavior that caused you to be banned and include a brief summary as to what you will do differently in the future.

3) You will PM the reflection to Imalefty, who will also forward it to Fractured Illusion. They will judge your reflection and determine whether or not you are fit to return to the Review Game forum.

If, upon return to the Review Game forum, the offensive behavior continues, you will be banned indefinitely. We here at the RG are forgiving, but we're not idiots.

Rule of banning concerning RM:

If you do not review the three winners with reviews that fill up the requirements before the two week period is over, you will be banned.

Being banned because of this offense is easy to change, however. You will get unbanned just by reviewing the winners properly. Then make a PM to Imalefty and state you have done so, and which stories (and from whom) you reviewed. If the reviews given were according to RM criteria, we will un-bann you immediately.

It is vital you PM Imalefty and not Fractured Illusion as Fractured does that do the banning, and when someone makes a ban, the banned person cannot contact him/her.

Rule of banning concerning RG:

If you do not review a person you should review according to the rules, and you have already gotten a review yourself, it may lead into being banned. However, this is not done automatically as opposed to the RM scenario.

You can always redeem yourself and prohibit a ban by reviewing what you are supposed to review and do it properly. If not, we will ban until you do so.

Rule of punishment concerning Freebie:

If you open a competition but do not return, you are not allowed back into the Freebie topic. Not as a freebie giver, and not as a contestant.

For Freebie, you are let back in if you show activity on the RG forum in a consistent manner. Not sporadic. Ie, play the RG a few times or chat a bit in the Off Topic, etc.

Do note that you cannot get banned for misusing the Freebie topic. You will just not be allowed to play in it.

---

HAVE FUN! ^^ (and yes, I am crazy about the bold)

6/1/2008 . Edited 6/19/2008 #1,151
KnittingKneedle

well then make a new topic :p

sorted.

6/1/2008 #1,152
Narc

I think either way is a good idea. The only problem with it being the first post of elements is that only one person can edit that.

6/1/2008 #1,153
Narc

Which would be me or the mods ... and I don't want to edit it, so I vote new topic for it. :)

6/1/2008 #1,154
Fractured Illusion

Alright, new topic seems like a good idea. Two people are for (Narc and me) and TT is okay with either. I just need Lefty's thoughts now :p

Thanks for the contributions, TT and Narc!

6/1/2008 #1,155
Jesse the Storyteller

I don't care either way. Yay! I contributed an opinion (sorta)!

I don't use... any... links to help with writing, so phooey.

New Topics wouldn't hurt... we don't have that many to begin with XD

-Jesse

6/1/2008 #1,156
Fractured Illusion

Haha, thanks Ace for your contribution (no but seriously, if people are cool with it, I need to hear it, rather than people are against it but don't say anything)

:3

Looks like RG will have a new forum soon! :D I have HEAPS of links I can contribute.

Of course, i was also thinking we could suggest books?

6/1/2008 #1,157
angel953

I think creating a new topic for links is a great idea! It might even bring in more people to the rg, rm, etc............

6/1/2008 #1,158
Fractured Illusion

Wow, such awesome support! :o

Thanks Jelly ^^ This idea seems like it will go through unless Lefty majorly (sp?) opposes

6/1/2008 #1,159
Fractured Illusion

FYI TT, could you please list all the words you can't click on because of the antics of your computer?

And does anyone have a title suggestion? I am thinking "Helpful Links" even though it lacks creativity ^^;

6/1/2008 #1,160
KnittingKneedle

so far:

Help and helping lol, eye, fix, fight, doctor, kill and watch...there may be more I havn't come across yet

6/1/2008 #1,161
Fractured Illusion

Does Helpful work then?

How about I name it "Resources for Writing" or "Writing Resources"?

Does anyone have a better name than me? In that case: please post it D:

6/1/2008 #1,162
Imalefty

i think a new topic is a good idea. :) i would put it under elements of writing, but obviously we don't want to have to edit that first post.

but... i think the new topic should ONLY be for links and resources... any questions or opinions should be in elements.

writing resources is good. :) i'm not feeling creative right now. XD

-Lefty

6/1/2008 #1,163
Imalefty

oh, and sorry i held up this suggestion for so long. T_T;;

-Lefty

6/1/2008 #1,164
Fractured Illusion

Goodie. I will make it after I get home (permanemtly) from school today

*is on lunch break*

6/2/2008 #1,165
Fractured Illusion

Update:

Topic has been made. I am willing to hear suggestions on how to "up" the title a bit, though.

Also, post links and books if you have any :)

6/2/2008 #1,166
Fractured Illusion

@Next Off Topic!

What should our next off topic be called?

FYI, it will be number 9! Does anyone know anything funny with 9?

Also, it needs to follow this form:

Off Topic - [name]!

6/3/2008 #1,167
simpleplan13

The only thing I can think of is kitties!!!!

6/3/2008 #1,168
simpleplan13

Or Love potion number 9

6/3/2008 #1,169
Fractured Illusion

Off Topic - Channel Nine!

Off Topic - Cloud Nine!

Off Topic - Planets! (since apparently there's nine planets?)

6/3/2008 #1,170
« Prev Page 1 .. 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member