The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 70 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 90 .. Last Next »
simpleplan13

Results from Authors so far...

1. What are your reasons for not participating in AAT?

-Real life/time: 8 ppl

-Drawing "block": 1 person

-Styles requested: 2 ppl

-Character requested (unchallenging, uninspiring): 2 people

-Payment (will it be worth the drawing): 1 person

-Requests in general: 1 person

2. What makes AAT unappealing?

-Coordination of artists and authors: 1 person

-Demandingness of authors' requests: 3 ppl

-Unsure if author will like it: 1 person

-Payment given: 1 person

-Artists don't know new trades are up: 1 person

-Types of pictures requested (standard, no action shots or emotive portraits): 1 person

-Characters requested (trying to hard to be original): 1 person

3. As an artist, do you have any suggestions to us, the moderators, on how we could more successfully bring in more interested artists like yourself?

-Ask People if they know of artists: 1 person

-Stick with the DA idea: 2 ppl

-Advertise for artists to come (ie. in stories as a/ns): 1 person

-Advertise for authors who will request different styles: 1 person

-Advice to authors about requests (composition/scenes, in a particular/specific style(dominant tonal theme), quirks/relevant facts that help flesh out the character): 1 person

4. Do you understand the rules of AAT? If no, can you specify what area troubles you?

-Yes: 8 ppl

Suggestion in general

-Have authors post up a piece of their story to inspire the artists instead of such specific details

2 person will link us through DA

Frac edit: You gave wrong link in News, so thus you see an edit by me here so I can fix it :)

10/24/2008 . Edited 11/2/2008 #2,371
simpleplan13

Ok you have been added!

10/24/2008 #2,372
Fractured Illusion

@Sparkles

But there was no link. I mean,a proper link. O_o Sparkles I think you copy and pasted the wrong thing

Edt: is this the link you mean Sparkles?

http://childofdarkness15.deviantart.com/

10/24/2008 . Edited 10/24/2008 #2,373
dragonflydreamer

@Frac -

Dang, how'd I manage to do that o_O???

link: http://childofdarkness15.deviantart.com/

10/24/2008 #2,374
simpleplan13

You want me to change it or will you?

10/24/2008 #2,375
Fractured Illusion

Okay, now everything makes sense :) Thank you for joining, Sparkles! I hope you get out of you artist block efficiently ^^

Now for artist results:

Good so far!

Wondering: The person that said "what authors ask for" is unappealing, what did they specifically mean?

I also wonder what this person meant by saying this: "Advertise for authors who will request different styles"?

I admit I am not the best reader of the requests but most say they accept most styles right? So what style do they refer to? Did they specify?

10/24/2008 #2,376
Fractured Illusion

You can add

10/24/2008 #2,377
simpleplan13

What character they ask for... I'll edit that word in.

The advertise thing was basically to try to draw in authors who will requests different styles. No specification of what styles were preferred or not. Do you want me to edit this at all to make it clearer?

EDIT: totally ignore that first line... lol. I was thinking something else. I'll go check that PM and come back.

10/24/2008 . Edited 10/24/2008 #2,378
simpleplan13

"Possible the demand people request for their art work." was the statement that I said what they asked for... that was the best interpertation I could make. Feel free to phrase it differently.

10/24/2008 #2,379
DeidaraXTobi

I did link through DA, by the way, but so far, no takers. I'm not an especially popular artist. You either have to be a very talented artist, or into drawing fan art to get popular, from what I've seen, and since I'm neither, well...

I wouldn't have minded what I said being aired about for everyone to see. I'm not a shy person (on the net, anyway). And may I say I am relieved that the drama from earlier seems to be resolved? I didn't want to get into the melee, so all I had to say on that subject was that rules tended to pop up an awful lot. I'm glad there's a thread that updates; that will be helpful.

Also, yay for Suigetsu in your avatar, dragonfly~!

10/24/2008 #2,380
Fractured Illusion

-Have authors post up a piece of their story to inspire the artists instead of such specific details

Oooh, interesting =D

Although I dont think it needs to be a requirement, I think this could be something well for the authors and artists. I mean, no artist wants to read the story, but its good to still get a feel from it =D I mean, we only have the minimum post requirements in our first post. So this would be allowed, right?

Mini, you should link to this Artist response post in the News! Make everyone see it.

2. What makes AAT unappealing?

-Coordination of artists and authors: 1 person

-Demandingness of authors: 2 ppl

Yeah you could you please explain those two? Demanding as in, many details requested? And for the coordination one, did they have a sug on how to better it?

Edit:

@DeiDei

I did link through DA, by the way, but so far, no takers.

Thats no problem =D At least you are helping. Appreciated!

10/25/2008 . Edited 10/25/2008 #2,381
RYTwinDemon

Hi!

I'd like to join the Artist-Author Trade? It's piqued my interest, and I want to try drawing a bit for other people. :)

Style and Preference: I do an anime-style that rather has a unique blend of its own (Or so I like to think.)

What media you can do and which is preferred: Pencil, colored pencils, a bit of photoshop and a bit of watercolor. (Although I'm not really good at watercolor, just started. I'm best with pencil and colored pencil.

Specific preference regarding subject: I prefer drawing humans, but I can draw animals if needed (Even a bit of dragons... although just the small ones.)... I don't really do scenery all that well. One thing I haven't even touched on is monsters and the like.

Weaknesses overall: Anatomy... of males especially. And scenery.

Strengths overall: I think I'm pretty good with faces, clothes ad hair...

Link to your portfolio: http://shirolovesluna.deviantart.com/

Thanks for listening to my request! :)

10/25/2008 #2,382
Fractured Illusion

For not knowing how to post you catch on quickly! :p I take all the credit for your fast learning ways :p

And you have been added! You can now officially make requests or respond to requests =D Wohoo! Just make sure no other request is up (they have a 3 day limit each) You can also make deals with the left over requests in the 2nd post :)

Thankus muchos for joining! XD

10/25/2008 . Edited 10/25/2008 #2,383
RYTwinDemon

Haha, thanks so much! And I freely give you all the credit. :) And you're also welcome. :):):)

10/25/2008 #2,384
simpleplan13

For the coordination part there was nothing else. They just said that, probably because it was an example you gave that fit well.

As for demandingness... one vote was the one that I posted that I found a bit hard to understand that you asked what I meant by author's requests so I changed it to that since they used that word and someone else said that the authors are too demanding about what they want their picture to be.

I'll so link the post in News.

10/25/2008 #2,385
Fractured Illusion

Judging by the responses, is there an action you think we should take?

We cant really fix real life or artist block, but maybe we could add in first post, a recommendation to insert a snippet of their story in their request post?

Do you see other solutions?

10/26/2008 #2,386
Fractured Illusion

@MC cheating - PLEASE VOTE FOR AN OPTION

Okay guys I think we lost this discussion! Bringing it back to the table again.

So, can everyone please vote for what kind of MC they would like? When we have landed on a popular vote we can then perfect the option (this sound easiest in my head at least)

1) No change, it is fine as it is

2) Save a spot and then edit the post when you are done

3) Dont make a post until you are done with all the reviews

4) No reserving unless mod permission (mod permission is to be an active part of MC life here)

5) I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS SO IT ISNT PROCESSED: Make the next person to review responsible to make sure the previous person's reviews are legit. If they review despite the person above have clearly given below standard reviews, then the person that reviewed AND the cheater get disqualified

10/27/2008 . Edited 10/27/2008 #2,387
Elennar

First time I'm participating in this, so here goes:

I'd like to vote for 5: "Make the next person to review responsible to make sure the previous person's reviews are legit. If they review despite the person above have clearly given below standard reviews, then the person that reviewed AND the cheater get disqualified"

On a related note, may I make the following suggestion:

Why not make a formal format of a review (whether depth/easy-fix, poem/prose) compulsory? Like, for a depth review:

Area 1:

(At least two qualifying sentences)

Area 2:

(At least two qualifying sentences)

---------------------------- And so on for at least 4 areas------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This way, I think it'll be easier for everyone concerned (reviewer/reviewee/moderator) to examine and hand out reviews.

I do hope I haven't stepped on any toes...

10/27/2008 #2,388
dragonflydreamer

@Frac - I like your suggestion. But what do you mean by "disquilified?" Just not able to be the next player? Sounds good.

Also, if we were to go with number 2, I think we should add that the poster can't put what they want reviewed until they've finished their reviews.

10/27/2008 #2,389
dragonflydreamer

Oh, @ Caramir -

Ha ha, don't worry, this is open to anyone ^^

Anyway, I like your suggestion in theory - it woud definitely be much easier. But I think that, especially in EF, it would be impractical to enforce because a lot of people are likely to ignore it. I think it would be a lot easier for depth, though. Frac? Mini? Lefty? What do you guys think?

10/27/2008 . Edited 10/27/2008 #2,390
Kyllorac

I would vote #5, but it has a major issue that I can't see an easy solution for. If the person who didn't check the previous reviews leaves quality reviews, it's possible that the next person to play would check those reviews, see that they fit the requirements, and review the disqualified person. It's not fair to the second player since they followed the rules that they should be disqualified by default for reviewing a disqualified player. #5 would also require a lot more diligence on the mods' behalf.

So I'm voting for #4, with the stipulation of a time limit and the person not being able to request until all the reviews have been given. It's not too hard to get mod permission to reserve a post, and it wouldn't be as confusing.

As for a required review format, I'm kind of iffy (because I don't review in an organized fashion), but it would make it easier to determine whether or not a review is legit. I think it should only be applied in Depth, but for both Stories and MC.

10/27/2008 #2,391
Starleaf

Hey! I have a New Suggestion (sorry, I don't have any input with the MC cheating because I really don't participate in MC yet.)

We should have a topic for NaNoWriMo, in which we can get together and brainstorm ideas and rough drafts and stuff and get advice from other players! :)

It can also be somewhere where we can go to vent when the pressure is on, haha.

Yes?

10/27/2008 . Edited 10/27/2008 #2,392
Kyllorac

I think a NaNo topic would fit better in Lime's and Flipper's Break Writer's Block forum. They already do similar things over there. :D

10/27/2008 #2,393
karma-dollie

@ MC Cheating:

I'd vote for #2 with some sort of time limit. If all action stopped until someone reviewed, wouldn't it hold up the game? Especially if someone wants you to read a lot of chapters and they're long. Give them a few days, (or let them declare when they can be done if it's reasonable, like for me it'd have to be a weekend thing cos I'm usually swamped during the week) and in the mean time they can make their own requests for reviews. If the person doesn't get the reviews up in their time limit then don't let them request anymore until they do. Do I make any kind of sense? Cos I'm not really a debater. ;p

10/27/2008 #2,394
Fractured Illusion

I think a NaNo topic would fit better in Lime's and Flipper's Break Writer's Block forum. They already do similar things over there. :D

I agree with that call

Edit:

Oh! And starleaf, you can always discuss your own writing in Story Improvement here at RG regarding your own story, and for writing in general in Elements of Writing.

10/27/2008 . Edited 10/27/2008 #2,395
Fractured Illusion

I do hope I haven't stepped on any toes...

Hardly! :p I am only glad people share their opinions.

By sparkles:

Just not able to be the next player?

Exactly. The person that reviewed wrongly and the person that reviewed the cheater wont be up next. It will go back to the first clean person.

By Kylie:

it's possible that the next person to play would check those reviews, see that they fit the requirements, and review the disqualified person

If it were to add in a third person then things would have to change. They were in good faith. The first cheater would then have to give proper reviews to A (B is cheater, C is the one too lazy to look and D is the oblivious good-doer)

It's not too hard to get mod permission to reserve a post, and it wouldn't be as confusing

Yes it is if you are new to RG :p I've only given mod permission to senior RGers that I know will come back and will have to face the consequences if they screw up (since I really have no other insurance)

Newbies, they'd never get a mod permission, for example. They'd have to do it the hard way :p

MC votes so far:

# 5 (caramir)

# 4 (kylie)

# 2 (karma-dollie)

(REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTES AT ANY TIME PRIOR TO THE FINAL DECISION)

My personal opinion

I think #2 or #3/4 would work fine. But there would need to be a sort of waiting. In #2 you save a spot. Like Radio said, this can hold things up. BUT not all chapters need to be done prior to the next person, C, coming in and reviewing.

If A requests 4 chapters and they are long, then we can do like this (well we can do this even if they are not long):

B says he will review 4 chapter of A. But, in the line of a previous statement, he will not be allowed to tell what story and how many chapters he wants reviewed himself until he has done at least half.

Like mini said before, if it is an odd number we round off to the higher number as half. Ie, out of 5 reviews, 3 is half (not 2)

This way there is an insurance the reviews are being made and also the person after have much easier time checking if the reviews so far are legit (which should be some sort of civil responsibility but not punishable yet, in my opinion)

I say, 1 week max to review all chapters. If the story is ridiculously long, then you can consult a mod prior for an extension.

To do half the reviews (which can only ever be max 3) the time limit is...well, this one I am unsure about, actually. Ideas? Is my reasoning even logical?

@Caramir's sug for being specific

I am unsure about this. Sure it would be easier to examinate, but I remember once people complained the reviews would be too mechanical if they were forced to do it in a specific way, etc. It was back in the old days, so now maybe the opinion has changed.

If it is to be compatible with number 5 then there isn't much to worry about because it'd only be in obvious cases (ie, the reviews are all easy fix when its depth, or the reviews only talk about one area, or never fulfil the minimum sentence requirement). I wouldnt expect "common people" (haha) to be equipped to see nuances. Like I said, #5 is for obvious cases :)

10/27/2008 #2,396
simpleplan13

I didn't get to read it all because I'm studying for a mid-term, but where did the idea that they have to have at least reviewed half before they can reserve go? Unless I missed it...

10/27/2008 #2,397
Fractured Illusion

That is only a detail of a bigger system. Not its own system, not the way I saw it at least

10/27/2008 #2,398
Lime-Cat

Actually, this is being discussed in mine and Flipper's forum...We have a bi-monthly thing going on, but Frac asked if the RG could do a monthly shorter version of it. I'd actually like to know if people would rather have it in the RG or BWB. Flipper hasn't dropped by (it seems like she disappeared off the face of the planet! O_O) to say 'yea' or 'nay' on the possibility of having this in the RG though.

That being said, don't expect to see the NaNo topic anywhere soon...and please don't spam Flipper's inbox asking her to make a decision. lol.

10/27/2008 #2,399
simpleplan13

What number is it part of?

10/27/2008 #2,400
« Prev Page 1 .. 70 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 90 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member