The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 73 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 93 .. Last Next »
Fractured Illusion

Yay: 1

Nay: 0

11/7/2008 #2,461
simpleplan13

I vote for OT 15 - La QuinceƱera Since it is the RGs bday this month

11/7/2008 #2,462
Nicki BluIs

I vote yay for sub- toipc thingymabob and i like the quicenera for OT 15

11/7/2008 #2,463
Fractured Illusion

@MC

Guys what happened to the MC debate? We still need to think of a solution.

Can someone make a summary of where the options lie so far? Mini?

I quite frankly got confused...

11/7/2008 #2,464
simpleplan13

@ MC

Before we do summary I think we need to clarify the purpose here. Is the whole idea here just avoid a rule 10 situation or was it to allow people more time to complete the reviews in hopes that more people would then participate? Because I think a lot of the suggestions are for the second reason since like Narc pointed out just to avoid a rule 10 a few hours should be enough extra time to give to people to make sure they get the reviews done.

11/8/2008 #2,465
Fractured Illusion

@MC

Overall mission is to get it to run as smooth as possible, but the prime inspiration was to not make people get ditched of legit reviews.

11/8/2008 #2,466
Fractured Illusion

@RE:Story Improvement - Topic Name Change

I think we should make the title more clear about what it is. Like, Story Help, or sumwhat like that.

Sugs:

Story Help

Your Stories

Your Writing

Help with your Writing

Only one voter so far (Sparkles) voted for "Help with your writing"

I am leaning towards "Story Help" or "Help with your writing"

If no one butts in I will then basically do whatever I want :o

11/9/2008 #2,467
Nicki BluIs

meh help with ur writing sounds good...

@ MC: idk where we're at anymore...

11/9/2008 #2,468
Lime-Cat

Lime votes for "Help with your Writing".

As for MC, Lime is just as lost as Bubbles... =(

11/9/2008 #2,469
karma-dollie

@ SI - Topic Change

I like "Help with your Writing" too

@ OT

I like La QuinceƱera. I hope a name for the next OT is picked soon cos Frosh is closed up.

11/10/2008 . Edited 11/10/2008 #2,470
Fractured Illusion

@MC

I am still waiting for mini to clear this up

@Story Improvements

name changed according to popular vote

@OT 15

created and named

11/10/2008 #2,471
simpleplan13

@ MC

What do you mean by clear things up? If you mean my opinion, I vote keep it the same. I think it will become to confusing to post and then edit, etc. Plus fp time is confusing so ppl might not know how much time has gone by since someone reserved something. The whole beginning of this discussion was bubbles bringing up the Rule 10 thing. If I remember correctly we edited that a little to make it clearer that it was ok to double review within an hour or so, which really is plenty of time.

11/10/2008 #2,472
Fractured Illusion

@MC

No, like, lay down the options of what there is we can all vote on. Because I got lost... T_T

11/11/2008 #2,473
Fractured Illusion

@MC

Since Mini's taking too long and I am impatient Ima try to this myself.

This won in poll:

2) Save a spot and then edit the post when you are done

And we are now trying to make this winning option as smooth as possible

TELL ME IF I MISSED AN OPTION OR MISUNDERSTOOD!

I WILL MAKE A NEW POST WHEN YOU GUYS ARE ALLOWED TO VOTE

These are the current options to vote on (BUT NO VOTING YET!!! First we need to make clear I got all options):

I. complete half reviews before posting, half reviews after posting

II. make a post first saying you are reviewing, and dont edit until you are done (edit meaning edit in what story you want)

III. make a post saying you are reviewing (and say what piece you want reviewed) and then you have a certain time frame to do them. You can get reviews as soon as you post

IV. make a post saying you are reviewing (and say what piece you want reviewed) and then you have a certain time frame to do them. You can only get reviews after all reviews are done within the alloted time

V. no changes, this is pissing me off, frac!

-

Did I get everything?

-

For me to add in voting post later:

The time is not specified in any of these. It is a sub category. It will be decided later. Please decide on a main system first. Then we decide time and then we can (finally) fix the rules.

I personally would like to point out what Narc herself pointed out: newbies will easily confuse the "edit after you did half the reviews" to only doing half the reviews. Please keep in mind that when you vote, vote for the EASIEST TO UNDERSTAND option.

11/13/2008 . Edited 11/14/2008 #2,474
Fractured Illusion

[Link to this post: http://www.fictionpress.com/topic/1867/136500/50/#619208 ]

Alright, I told myself to hold off, but we have spammed so much in OT I am going to eventually forget which page everything was on. So.

I have 3 suggestions, but I refuse to let them be decided on before MC is done. I put them here so I will not forget. And maybe as a carrot for you guys to re-join the MC discussion :p

1. Fun/Expanding RG

2. Fun Contest

3. More Serious Contest (but still fun!)

Sug 1:

@Review Game Merchandise

Merchandise would be icons. Like the one I am sporting right now (which was a test to see how it would play out)

Idea is this: We (the mods) create a mutual account on Photobucket and upload icons made in the name of RG there. We make icons but others as well. To add an icon, it can be done either by its own topic, "Review Game Merchandise" (with photobucket link in first post) or in Sug. But if done in Sug, few will notice it. It is better to have its own topic.

So anyways, there would be icons that dealt with RG/Reggy/review love in there, free to take.

Here are some examples of texts to use:

- Reviews are SERIOUS BUSINESS

- Hail Reggy!

- Reggy Follower

- Review love. Spread it.

- Spread the review love

- I believe in review love

- Review Game

- Spamming for virginity

- Virginity!

- Review Marathon this weekend!

- Review Marathon Winner

- 1st place - Review Marathon (and one for 2nd and 3rd)

- Given +100 reviews // Given +500 reviews // Given +1000 reviews

and I guess we could have special titles of topics for icons, ie, "The Six Pack" for a six pack, etc.

Point of this? Just a fun thing, I guess.

For this we'd need a few people contributing, at least to start with.

Edit:

I also think if we make a special topic for it, that we allow people to do icon requests. No one is obliged to respond to them but it could be fun.

Sug 2:

And then to something I can see in the polls people are lusting for; a contest:

@Spamming Olympics

When spamming all by myself I understood that it is actually very hard to spam alone. So I figured since it was a challenge, we could do this: During a set time period, everyone will spam as much as they can. Person that spammed the most, wins. There are however limitations.

We sign up ahead of time, and then people will have a start and finish time. Ie:

Contestants:

1. Frac, 1am - 1.30am

2. Radio 2am - 2.30am

3. Bubbles 3am - 3.30am

And so, Frac has from 1am to 1.30 am to spam as much as she can.

BUT she must spam by herself, and she must spam until the final post on the page. If a contestant does not reach that final post before their time is up, the entire page and all its posts goes to the following contestant (or in case of the last participant, it goes to the first one).

Say, I spam 1 page + 15 posts on the next page. Radio spams the rest of 2nd page, and another page. Because I did not finish the 2nd page, Radio gets that page and all those posts.

Those that can make the most posts (or pages, rather) in their alloted time, wins.

There would be a separate topic for spamming olympics spam and its registration, otherwise it would be very uneven for the first person to spam, since first post and registrations would be all over the place. This also means the first person to spam must be a mod so that that mod can create the topic and thus no posts are benefited unnecessarily.

Registration topic would be pinned and linking to spamming topic. The spamming one would not be pinned.

Prize would be reviews, like RM, I guess :p Unless you people can think of a cooler prize, but I somehow doubt it XD

We'd go by FP time and the same online clock as in RM:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/pacific-time/

If people go over their time, all those posts belong to the next player.

Sug 3:

@Writing Challenge Contest

[I got permission from Break Writer's Block With Stories to use! The idea is not the same other than the basic of a challenge. Flipper gave Lime permission to run things herself and Lime decided so yah :)]

So this would be the more ambitious and serious contest (because I assume you guys want that to happen as well haha). This would happen during a set period of time every month (or bi-monthly). Ie, starts at the 1st every month.

It'd have a similar process of Word of the Week, too.

Ok. So this is how it goes:

Person A gives a short prompt/quote/theme to start the Writing Challenge with. This should allow for artistic creativity, especially since everyone will write based on the same thing. There are no set genres, and both poetry and stories are welcome. Stories would be between 100 words to 1000 words (max 2000, but I dunno if we should go so high). I dont know how it would be for poetry, however, because I am not familiar with its word count. This can be discussed later.

People then register to this challenge. Prompt or theme could be only one per challenge. First one will be decided by a mod, but after that, the winner of each round will decide the prompt for the next round.

Prompts should never tell how people write their stories. They cant be like "Write about a young maiden who loses a shoe but finds true love at the end". That's too specific.

So like in RM, people register. They get a set time before they need to turn in their works, like 2 weeks. Then there is 1 week "examinating". BUT this is a collective effort! All participants will choose the best story through a poll in that topic. You are allowed two votes, because I realize people want to vote for themselves, and with one vote we woulndt get anywhere :p

Only one can win this challenge, because I dont think that many will participate and there isnt such a consuming effort as in RM. I do however think we should have the winner (and number one winner only) get Depth reviews from the rest of the participants.

Winner also gets to choose prompt for next round.

Example of execution:

Person in charge: Okay guys! 1st period of Writing Challenge has started! You have from today til *insert appropriate time frame* to write at least one story/poem based on this prompt: "There is blood on the walls"

A: I have written "Annie come home" (linkage)

B: I have written blabla

etc etc

END SUBMISSIONS

POLL IS MADE

Person in charge: OMG A, you won. Everyone give her a review on her challenge story, or if you already did, another of her pieces.

A: ZOMG! *dies from happiness*

Paramedics: Noes!

THE END OF THIS STORY

Edit:

Perhaps we could also introduce "side-challenges"? Ie, we still have the prompt that everyone has to do if they register (well they hve to in the same way RMers have to review) but maybe we could have that the challenge giver COULD (if they wanna) offer a special made challenge that is more specific, with the promise of reviewing all those that are made (meaning the side challenges wouldnt be entered in the poll because all side challenges get their reviews anyways)

How about it?

Like I said it is different because here you tell the writer how they should write. Ie, "Write about a boy and girl, age 9, and how they fell in love on a playground".

-

None of this will be decided or implemented until MC problem is dealt with.

[Link to this post: http://www.fictionpress.com/topic/1867/136500/50/#619208 ]

11/13/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #2,475
simpleplan13

@ MC

I'm sorry I tried, but I got too confused as well... lol. I think what you have is good the only thing is for III I'm confused about when the person would be allowed to receive their reviews. After their allotted time to review or when they post that they are reviewing?

11/14/2008 #2,476
Fractured Illusion

@MC

I'm sorry I tried, but I got too confused as well.

XD

This:

III. make a post saying you are reviewing (and say what piece you want reviewed) and then you have a certain time frame to do them

means you can get a review as soon as you post...or after the time fram time is over??? I wasnt sure of what hte person meant T_T

I will add the two variations as their own options!

11/14/2008 #2,477
simpleplan13

Sounds good since they really diff options.

11/14/2008 #2,478
Fractured Illusion

So if no one objects within 12-24 hours I can officially open the voting?? =D Yes?

11/14/2008 #2,479
simpleplan13

Sounds good.

11/14/2008 #2,480
Fractured Illusion

@MC - voting

This is it guys, we are gonna vote now!

This won in poll:

2) Save a spot and then edit the post when you are done

And we are now trying to make this winning option as smooth as possible

These are the current options to vote on:

I. complete half reviews before posting, half reviews after posting

II. make a post first saying you are reviewing, and dont edit until you are done (edit meaning edit in what story you want)

III. make a post saying you are reviewing (and say what piece you want reviewed) and then you have a certain time frame to do them. You can get reviews as soon as you post

IV. make a post saying you are reviewing (and say what piece you want reviewed) and then you have a certain time frame to do them. You can only get reviews after all reviews are done within the alloted time

V. no changes, this is ** me off, frac!

-

The time is not specified in any of these. It is a sub category. It will be decided later. Please decide on a main system first. Then we decide time and then we can (finally) fix the rules.

I personally would like to point out what Narc herself pointed out: newbies will easily confuse the "edit after you did half the reviews" to only doing half the reviews. Please keep in mind that when you vote, vote for the EASIEST TO UNDERSTAND option.

11/15/2008 #2,481
karma-dollie

Is it really so hard to explain in the rules (IF the new RGers decide to read the rules, which they should,) that once you do the first half of the reviews you still have to do the second half? It's not rocket science.

I like the combination of 1 and 2 if you add a time frame. Make a post saying you're reviewing (don't put your story yet), review half the chapters in a timely fashion (whatever is chosen later), edit your post, then review the second half in a timely fashion.

Makes sure that the author gets some sort of down payment so if the reviewer flakes, he/she isn't left with nothing.

11/15/2008 #2,482
simpleplan13

I say no changes. I think any change is just going to confuse people. There is no need to reserve reviews. If you don't have enough time to do the reviews in one sitting then you shouldn't be volunteering to do them. If while you are reviewing someone else does that chapter you can still post and it will be a Rule 10 situation. I don't think we've had a problem with this yet (except maybe with that one person, but since they never came back I don't think any rule would help) so why fix what isn't broken?

11/15/2008 #2,483
Fractured Illusion

I vote for nr 2,

with a time limit. I think we do need a change in the rules because when there is ever a screw up in MC the screw up is BIG and creates a huge unevenness that we must strive to eliminate as much as possible.

11/15/2008 #2,484
UndeadWithoutCoffee

A C2 with good storys could be great too.

11/15/2008 #2,485
Narc

I say number two with a reasonable time limit.

And yeah, I really do think the half-reviews thing would be confusing. We have enough confusion as it is with some new members, just in single chap. Just look at easy fix. I could easily imagine this kind of situation:

User A posts a story to be reviewed.

User B reviews half the chapters, and posts what they want reviewed.

User C reviews half the chapters for user B.

But then user B never finishes the reviews an disappears for a while.

User A still needs reviews.

User C doesn't finish their reviews, since User B doesn't earn the rest.

And now we have a lovely situation of trying to figure out who's responsible for what reviews and trying to make it fair.

Meanwhile User D reviews User C, who never finished the reviews for user B, who never finished the reviews for user A ...

11/15/2008 #2,486
simpleplan13

Here are my problems with nr 2:

-This person will be able to hold up the RG (though this can be rectified if the time limit is short)

-Fp time confuses ppl so someone might delete the person's post thinking they went over the time when they haven't or think the time isn't up when it is.

-I think this will confuse people as well. You go to MC you see a person not requesting a story. Ppl who do not read the rules (which unfortunately is a lot of people) will probably review a story of theirs assuming the lack of requests means they can pick or maybe go back and review the person before them as well since they might assume the post without a request is invalid.

I just think changing this means making the rules more complicated no matter what change you make and new rules tend to breed mistakes in the past and since everyone seems to understand MC and there have not been any problems (minus that one person who probably wouldn't follow these rules correctly either) I don't think we need to try to fix a problem that isn't there.

11/15/2008 #2,487
Fractured Illusion

I see your point, mini, which is why I now un-vote my vote on nr 2. I'll vote no change later if no one has given a solid argument countering yours.

*sigh* Its just so annoying all this thinking would lead to nothing D=

If we do choose "no change" I think we should follow the rules there, which say you review, and THEN you post. So no more "in process of reviewing". Right???

11/15/2008 #2,488
Fractured Illusion

A C2 with good storys could be great too.

Just to be clear: are you making an official suggestion or tell us what you voted? (either is fine, dont worry)

11/15/2008 #2,489
karma-dollie

-Fp time confuses ppl so someone might delete the person's post thinking they went over the time when they haven't or think the time isn't up when it is.

I thought FP time was law and that it wouldn't confuse people. That was my question about the Spamming Olympics, but I was reassured that whatever clock you use for RM would keep people on the same page.

-I think this will confuse people as well. You go to MC you see a person not requesting a story. Ppl who do not read the rules (which unfortunately is a lot of people) will probably review a story of theirs assuming the lack of requests means they can pick or maybe go back and review the person before them as well since they might assume the post without a request is invalid.

Instead of just not requesting anything maybe a different message can be put up to show that the reviewer is in the middle of reviewing. So even if the silly newbies didn't read the rules, they would see that there's a story in the middle of being reviewed and they need to wait.

I don't think it could hurt so much to help things flow better. Even if there was a process in the past that worked, improvements could help them work even better for the future. If it's explained succinctly (and people read the rules as they should, which I understand not everyone does, but they should) then I think confusion could be kept to a minimum. Maybe if a new option is decided on, it can be posted immediately in the thread where any newcomers who skip the first page will still see it.

11/15/2008 #2,490
« Prev Page 1 .. 73 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 93 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member