The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
simpleplan13

Quick question... I vaguely remember us saying if a depth sentence is really a runon sentence that should be split into two then it counts?

For instance:

Twyla Cole's Review of thewhimsicalbard's One day a gangly old man told me (poems-depth)

"I like some of the word choice in here, the first stanza especially, "what you write becomes your truth" but "in so many words" throws off the importance of that for me. "

1/26/2011 #3,541
gigglebug

I have an inquiry!

one of my pieces, Acceptable Insanity, is a collection of oneshots. if I wanted to play that in the multichap thread, could I? or would that be a place for the thread under construction in sugg right now?

I know Vic had something similar to that, three dots or whatever, and she just asked for the chapter she wanted in the single EF or Depth thread. I never saw if she did multichap with it though, so I thought I'd ask.

1/27/2011 #3,542
Fractured Illusion

Quick question... I vaguely remember us saying if a depth sentence is really a runon sentence that should be split into two then it counts?

I also vaguely remember us doing that once upon a time, but we haven't since, so I don't think we should.

1/27/2011 #3,543
Fractured Illusion

one of my pieces, Acceptable Insanity, is a collection of oneshots. if I wanted to play that in the multichap thread, could I? or would that be a place for the thread under construction in sugg right now?

I think so. I've seen a lot of people actually who do that with their one-shots and poems.

I'll suggest it that one-shot/poetry collections are an exception to Rule 18

1/27/2011 #3,544
Fractured Illusion

FAQ: » Someone requested a review for a specific chapter of their piece - do I have to review that chapter?

It is mandatory to review what story/poem a person wants reviewed.

It is not mandatory to review what chapter of that story/poem they want reviewed.

It is perfectly okay to request what chapter you want reviewed, but it is in no way mandatory for the reviewers to follow.

-

Example 1:

Person 2: I reviewed 1's "Raincoat". Please review chapter 22 of "Warriors in the summer".

Person 3: I reviewed ch 1 of "Warriors in the summer". Please review "Scarlet".

Example 1 is according to the rules.

Example 2:

Person 2: I reviewed 1's "Raincoat". Please review chapter 22 of "Warriors in the summer".

Person 3: I reviewed 2's story "Sock". Please review "Scarlet".

Example 2 is not according to the rules (Person 3 is breaking them, specifically).

-

If you are still unsure, or if your question is of a more complicated manner than described in this post, make a post in Problems/Questions and ask for help!

1/27/2011 . Edited 1/27/2011 #3,545
simpleplan13

I wanted to double check that you wanted me to edit back into your main FAQ post with the RM ones... I know regular ppl can re-edit posts once a mod edits it, but I didn't know if the same thing went for mods..

Anyway, just so you know here's what I have so far. (I looked back through all the P&Q pages)

» I want to participate in the Review Marathon but I can't find info on when it starts next month. Help!

Answer:

The Review Marathon does not occur at the same time every month. There is a poll posted on the 15th of the month before and closed by the 25th. The dates with the most votes will be the dates for the next month's Review Marathon and will be posted in the first post of the Review Marathon thread and in the News thread. It is recommended that you subscribe to the News post in order to be updated on the Review Marathon and other Review Game topics.

» When does the RM bgein and end?

Answer: In every given month, the Review Marathon begins on Friday at 12:00 AM (Fictionpress time) and ends on Sunday at 11:59 PM (Fictionpress time).

» I forgot to mention the Review Marathon and/or the link in my profile. What should I do?

Answer: You can PM the author whichever part of the Review Marathon tag you left out (mentioning the Review Marathon, the link or both). However, this must be done before the Review Marathon is over and you must state that you did so next to the review in your registration post.

» When can I register for the Review Marathon?

Answer: Registration opens one week before the Review Marathon begins. You can register even after the Review Marathon has begun. It is recommended that you subscribe to the News thread in which a post is made regarding when registration opens. You can also withdraw your registration at any time.

» What is required of my Review Marathon tag if I am reviewing multiple chapters of the same story?

Answer: You must tag the first and last review in order for all of the reviews to be counted. If you forget and do not tag the last review you will not get credit for that review. However, you will get credit for the other reviews.

» What is required of my Review Marathon tag if I am reviewing multiple stories by the same author?

Answer: You have to have a Review Marathon tag on all of the reviews. If you are in the top 3, you will not get any credit for the reviews if they do not have a tag. If you are not in the top 3, you will only receive half of a point per review that does not have the tag.

Two other ones that weren't asked more than once in P&Q, but I feel like may have been asked elsewhere were:

Can you give away the reviews you win?

Where/when to sign up for RS?

What's the deal with hoarding?

Do you think they're worth making into FAQ?

1/30/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #3,546
Fractured Illusion

When does the RM being and end?

*begin

Anyway I think all those are great! They should definitely be included in the RM FAQ

I think the "when can I register" question should be the 2nd question, so the questions are in almost a chronological order.

Don't forget to use the same header/end of FAQ post as in the other anwer posts. I easily forget the 2nd one hah

and seperate post for every question, yada yada :p

Two other ones that weren't asked more than once in P&Q, but I feel like may have been asked elsewhere were:

Can you give away the reviews you win?

Where/when to sign up for RS?

What's the deal with hoarding?

Do you think they're worth making into FAQ?

Im not so sure about those, but I am not in charge of RM either so that could explain why I dont find the questions so familiar. If you think they are big questionmarks then you definitely should include them.

1/30/2011 #3,547
simpleplan13

I will make the separate posts and add in the FAQ link, but should I edit the questions into you main FAQ post? Or will you?

1/31/2011 #3,548
Fractured Illusion

I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

1/31/2011 #3,549
lookingwest

@Multi-Chapter Depth #280

Stephanie M. Moore just reviewed Ch. 1-4 for INSIWB and none of them count as depth reviews...at all. I'm wondering what we do, just to make sure, if it's depth.

I see that in the past, the person is just skipped over, but I thought maybe you guys had a new rule for people who were new to the forums that might not been around in the first 2 pages of that thread--so I'm not sure if she's supposed to PM me those missing parts, or if she is just entirely skipped like what I've seen been done.

The reviews are here: link.

And then er, is she still up next then, and has 1 week? I wasn't sure because this is a multi-chap and not normal Depth -_-''

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #3,550
Fractured Illusion

@Multi-Chapter Depth #280

I can't remember if we've made any exceptions in MC Depth, to me it seems we will follow the usual protocol of one review being allowed to be lacking for a newbie since nothing else has been said on the issue. It's something that can be discussed in the future though.

So if none of them count, she is not up next.

Will check it out.

edit:

Ill comment on the reviews but not copypate. So:

Ch 1:

Opening. 2 sentences (I like it - short but still a sentence)

Technique (seperator thing) 2 sentences

Spelling and grammar: 2 sentences filled

Writing: 2 sentences (again, "I like it" counts, although sparse)

Review on ch 1 counts

-

Ch 2:

Enjoyment: 2 sentences filled

ch 2 review does not count

-

Ch 3:

Writing (or Technique? I'm gonna go with Writing about the semicolons): 2 sentences filled

Last paragraph minus the 1 sentence - Character: 2 sentences filled. I'm a bit unsure about this but it seems the last sentence is about character

One category lacking. Does not count.

-

Ch 4:

Ugh. I think I just accidentally sent an incomplete review-- my bad.

:o This changes everything ...!1!!

Ahem. But it can. If they know their review was cut off then maybe she sent you a PM or something?

But then again ch 4 review doesn't seem to count either... hmm. anyway:

Enjoyment: 2 sentences filled

The summary is not a category we allow as a counting category, so that paragraph doesnt count. See first post of any depth RG:

Note: Summary and/or title is not a category of its own.

Verdict: I need you to tell me first if you've gotten any PMs with the lacking categories

Otherwise she is not up next.

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #3,551
dragonflydreamer

Quick question about the Various threads (sorry, I haven't been around for most of the discussion on them.)

The space holder post (i.e. I'm reviewing this. EDIT: Reviewed this, please review that.) is the same as MCs have always been, correct? Are you able to do this in all the Various threads?

2/1/2011 #3,552
Fractured Illusion

Yep, you can hold posts in all Various threads.

Maybe I should make that clear in the basic structure...

25) When you have not completed reviewing the above story before posting, you are not allowed to post what you want reviewed and how many chapters. Instead you must write that you are in process of reviewing. When you are done, you edit in what you want reviewed.

26) The time limit to completing the above rule is 2 days. If the reviews are not done within this time period, you are automatically discarded as a player.

2/1/2011 #3,553
Fractured Illusion

Ok, after not much consideration I have now altered the Basic Structure in the first posts (and will soon in RTF) to this:

Person 4 says: I am reviewing Person 3's requests. EDIT: Done (Games ch1-2, House ch 1, and Invalid ch 1), so can the next person review three chapters from "Jam" and one chapter from "Kaiser"? Thanks.

to showcase the ability to hold posts.

2/1/2011 #3,554
dragonflydreamer

The way it started out is what confused me. Maybe phrase it more along the lines of "If you have not completed reviewing the above story, you may write that you are in the process of reviewing. However, you are not allowed to post what you want reviewed and how many chapters until you have completed reviewing the above story." ...Or something. Maybe that's just how my mind works. ^^; I trust your awesome rule-writing-modess abilities.

2/1/2011 #3,555
dragonflydreamer

Ah, slow posting.

@Basic structure - looks good to me!

2/1/2011 #3,556
Fractured Illusion

Ok will rewrite! Not much point in keeping a confusing rule.

2/1/2011 #3,557
Fractured Illusion

Ok we now have this, dunno if it makes more sense or not though so let me know -

25) Since reviewing several stories takes time, you are allowed to make a post before you are done reviewing, claiming that you are in the process of reviewing. You are not allowed to say what you want reviewed until you have completed the reviews. When you are done reviewing, edit your post to state what you want reviewed.

2/1/2011 #3,558
dragonflydreamer

Sounds good to me.

2/1/2011 #3,559
thefaultinourpatronus

Okay so I kind of don't get the prompt for the WCC February. Change something, as in...?

2/1/2011 #3,560
lookingwest

Verdict: I need you to tell me first if you've gotten any PMs with the lacking categories

No I haven't

2/1/2011 #3,561
lookingwest

Okay so I kind of don't get the prompt for the WCC February. Change something, as in...?

Whatever you want it to mean, get creative

2/1/2011 #3,562
Fractured Illusion

@WCC

Aye, it's like Potter said - you're the ultimate interpreter of the prompt. It's up to you.

2/1/2011 #3,563
Fractured Illusion

@RG Various

Since it's new I'm lenient at the moment but what is the usual protocol when someone asks for a wrong piece in MC for example? I have totally forgetten!

I am refering to this.

I didn't find anything in the rules about how to deal with it (maybe I missed something?).

I know with waiting for Potter to change her request isn't that hazardous since she's a regular, but what about newbies where you don't know if they will return? Maybe a time-limit of sorts then? 12 hours? 1 day? 36 hours?

And how do we deal with poems being requested in Stories RGs? I've forgotten that too. Maybe how we deal with either should be the same?

2/1/2011 #3,564
lookingwest

Since it's new I'm lenient at the moment but what is the usual protocol when someone asks for a wrong piece in MC for example?

Not that my opinion might matter, but I kinda think, maybe you should just let whoever wants to play next choose the short stories they want to review? I mean--it could just be a consequence for not reading the rules correctly or not knowing.

You still get your reviews repaid and everything, just maybe not on what you wanted.

I would have been okay with that happening, at least. And if the person who screwed up gets there in time to refine the request, they can do that, but if they don't get there in time, then whutevs. :D

Yay me for being today's newb! XD

2/1/2011 #3,565
simpleplan13

I'm pretty sure the rule is that if someone asks for a poem in RG-Stories you review a story instead if they have one, if not I think their turn is just skipped? But I dunno if the next person just gets a free review or if the person before the illegitimate request gets two reviews?

EDIT: Now that I think of it... I think sometimes the person has come back and requested a piece by someone else be reviewed if they don't have a story. I think there should be a time limit though if we PM them and then allow them to edit in a request for someone else's story. Maybe 12 hours from when someone makes a post or PMs them about it?

Just to clarify. I think that if they ask for something that doesn't fit in the thread then the person can review whatever else that they want that does fit in the thread. Unless they don't have a piece (or another piece) that fits in the thread. And then I think there should be a time period for them to be allowed to request someone else's story be reviewed.

Which brings me to another question.. in Various can you request pieces from someone else? I would assume so, but can you ask for reviews for two different authors?

2/2/2011 . Edited 2/2/2011 #3,566
Fractured Illusion

Which brings me to another question.. in Various can you request pieces from someone else? I would assume so, but can you ask for reviews for two different authors?

Why not? You can do it in Freebie for example. The only restriction we've had to giving out reviews is that it can't go to a banned person, really.

Now that I think of it... I think sometimes the person has come back and requested a piece by someone else be reviewed if they don't have a story. I think there should be a time limit though if we PM them and then allow them to edit in a request for someone else's story. Maybe 12 hours from when someone makes a post or PMs them about it?

Yeah I think 12 hours is best. Should this go for requesting stories in Poems and also for the Various mix-up I mentioned? Or just one?

I think if we do this, making a post is then mandatory, for people to be able to see when 12 hours is up. And then PMing is optional.

Just to clarify. I think that if they ask for something that doesn't fit in the thread then the person can review whatever else that they want that does fit in the thread. Unless they don't have a piece (or another piece) that fits in the thread. And then I think there should be a time period for them to be allowed to request someone else's story be reviewed.

Is this instead of the 12 hour rule or what comes after if they have not responded after 12 hours?

2/2/2011 #3,567
Fractured Illusion

Not that my opinion might matter, but I kinda think, maybe you should just let whoever wants to play next choose the short stories they want to review? I mean--it could just be a consequence for not reading the rules correctly or not knowing.

Aye, it might just run more smoothly.

2/2/2011 #3,568
simpleplan13

I guess I wasn't clear. I see it as two different situations. So say I post in EF stories and ask for a poem. If I have a story or stories on my page then the person can review any of my stories instead of the poem I requested. However, if I only have poems on my page then I would get 12 hours to give my review away to an author who does have a story. Does that make sense?

EDIT: If there's no response in 12 hours then either their review is discounted and the person they reviewed is up again or we could say whomever posts after the 12 hours gets a free review? Or we could say that someone else can post after 12 hours, but they have to request a review for someone completely different? Just to make is less like a free review...

2/3/2011 . Edited 2/3/2011 #3,569
simpleplan13

FAQ» I want to participate in the Review Marathon but I can't find info on when it starts next month. Help!

Answer:

The Review Marathon will now be happening the second weekend of every month.

-

If you are still unsure make a post in Problems/Questions and ask for help!

2/3/2011 . Edited 6/2/2012 #3,570
« Prev Page 1 .. 109 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 129 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member