The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
simpleplan13

FAQ » When does the RM begin and end?

Answer: In every given month, the Review Marathon begins on Friday at 12:00 AM (Fictionpress time) and ends on Sunday at 11:59 PM (Fictionpress time).

-

If you are still unsure make a post in Problems/Questions and ask for help!

2/3/2011 #3,571
simpleplan13

FAQ » I forgot to mention the Review Marathon and/or the link in my profile. What should I do?

Answer: You can PM the author whichever part of the Review Marathon tag you left out (mentioning the Review Marathon, the link or both). However, this must be done before the Review Marathon is over and you must state that you did so next to the review in your registration post.

-

2/3/2011 #3,572
simpleplan13

FAQ» When can I register for the Review Marathon?

Answer: Registration opens one week before the Review Marathon begins which would be the first Friday of the month. You can register even after the Review Marathon has begun. It is recommended that you subscribe to the News thread in which a post is made regarding when registration opens. You can also withdraw your registration at any time.

-

2/3/2011 . Edited 6/2/2012 #3,573
simpleplan13

FAQ » What is required of my Review Marathon tag if I am reviewing multiple chapters of the same story?

Answer: You must tag the first and last review in order for all of the reviews to be counted. If you forget and do not tag the last review you will not get credit for that review. However, you will get credit for the other reviews.

-

2/3/2011 . Edited 2/3/2011 #3,574
simpleplan13

FAQ » What is required of my Review Marathon tag if I am reviewing multiple stories by the same author?

Answer: You have to have a Review Marathon tag on all of the reviews. If you are in the top 3, you will not get any credit for the reviews if they do not have a tag. If you are not in the top 3, you will only receive half of a point per review that does not have the tag.

-

2/3/2011 . Edited 2/3/2011 #3,575
simpleplan13

FAQ » How do I join the Review Squad?

Answer:

Registration for the Review Squad starts the day after the Review Marathon ends (Monday) and is open for one week. A post is made in News when registration opens. It is suggested you subscribe to the News topics for updates on the Review Marathon and other aspects of the forum. If you want to join the Review Squad just make a post in the Suggestions thread stating that. Once examination is over, I will PM you the list of reviews you are to give.

-

If you are still unsure, or the Rule 10 is of a more complicated manner than described in this post, make a post in Problems/Questions and ask for help!

2/3/2011 #3,576
thefaultinourpatronus

About the review game, when I'm listing my points, should I edit my registration post, or is there somewhere else I should go?

x mandy

2/3/2011 #3,577
lookingwest

Do you mean the Review Marathon?

You edit your post to tally your points--I think it's also in the rules with more detail. But yeah, just edit the registration post, make sure you link to the review page and not the story page when you're doing your links too.

2/3/2011 #3,578
thefaultinourpatronus

Yeah, I meant the Review Marathon, my bad.

Thanks, I appreciate the help! :)

x mandy

2/3/2011 #3,579
lookingwest

No problem! Good luck in the marathon, too!

2/3/2011 #3,580
Fractured Illusion

I guess I wasn't clear. I see it as two different situations. So say I post in EF stories and ask for a poem. If I have a story or stories on my page then the person can review any of my stories instead of the poem I requested. However, if I only have poems on my page then I would get 12 hours to give my review away to an author who does have a story. Does that make sense?

EDIT: If there's no response in 12 hours then either their review is discounted and the person they reviewed is up again or we could say whomever posts after the 12 hours gets a free review? Or we could say that someone else can post after 12 hours, but they have to request a review for someone completely different? Just to make is less like a free review...

Ok I agree with, for ex story posted in Poems:

- you can review whatever piece of that person who requested wrong that fits with the RG in question

- if they have none, they have 12 hours to edit

However I think that if they fail to edit, then I think the person who wants to be next should review the person before. It seems more natural.

So:

Person B: I reviewed A, please review B

Person C: I reviewed B, please review (WRONG CATEGORY)

And then C reviews B if 12 hours has passed.

-

And so, what happens with the example in Various, requesting a story that has 4 ch or more, they could just pick and choose whatever other story, the same as the above, with the same time limit etc too?

2/3/2011 #3,581
simpleplan13

I think Various gets a bit more confusing because there are more situations, but I think if they ask for all wrong pieces, but they have enough right pieces for the reviews they requested then the next person can just chose.

If they ask for all the wrong pieces and have none of the right kind then I think the same rules we came up for as for the regular RGs would work.

But if they ask for some of the right ones and a wrong one, but they don't have another right one then I'd give them 12 hours to request for another person. And if they don't then I would say review the right pieces they asked for or what ones they have are right even if it's not enough reviews it's better than passing them over completed.

Example:

Person B reviewed A, I want poem, poem and 2 chapters of story reviewd. (say they only have 3 poems on their profile)

You have 12 hours to request a different review for that last piece. (If they haven't in 12 hours) EDIT: Ok person B you will only be getting three reviews on the poems they have.

I think that's most fair, but it might become confusing since there are so many combinations of them having the right and wrong requests and different things on their profile... So maybe just the same as if they didn't have them. Meaning they have 12 hours to amend their request and if they don't then they're skipped? It seems less fair, but maybe easier...

2/4/2011 #3,582
Sercus Kaynine

Mods might want to take a look at the mess in Stories EF. I think it's pretty much worked out, but I thought I'd bring it to attention and suggest someone PMs those who got two reviews.

2/6/2011 #3,583
simpleplan13

Ok mae a post and will PM.

2/6/2011 #3,584
lianoid

Stories EF Review

I made a boo-boo because I suck, sorry. I'm pretty sure Minonette Snow's review for chapter three of The Seeker by Kristin Teabag didn't meet EF requirements, but I didn't check until after I reviewed them so... crap.

Snow's review (found here):

"i like your story (yep! i started from the beginning) and i think it will reveal an elaborate plot that would simply be amazing . for now, i am getting confused as to the number of characters there are and i don't know where they fit . and also i didn' quite catch the last part . all in all i am highly anticipating the continuation ! :) fighting !"

If their review doesn't count, that means they'd owe Teabag a review on a different chapter/story, yeah? (Again, really sorry. I should have checked that before I reviewed).

2/6/2011 #3,585
simpleplan13

Yea I don't see any whys there... No worries. It's not the reviewers responsibility to check the review of the person they are reviewing. I'll make a post and PM.

2/6/2011 #3,586
lianoid

Okay, cool. Thanks, Mini. :)

2/6/2011 #3,587
lookingwest

@ Stories--Depth

Augh, so, this is apparently a hellish day for the depth threads. Today, there has been a triple rule 10 situation, which I believe I handled correctly, but I'm not sure if the three reviews that were done count. Also, again, we're having confusion about how to play the games correctly, the latest in Various Depth with a newbie and Pokinbigfire. I think maybe he might want to head over here again and have us answer more questions about how to play, don't know, actually, EDIT: apparently he reviewed her in Various to "shepherd" her back over to Depth. I have no idea how that makes sense. But whatever.

Anyway, here are the reviews that were done for the story Wild One by Rosemary...

Click here

All three of those people reviewed in the threads, the one I'm not sure about is wisedec4u's review.

2/7/2011 . Edited 2/7/2011 #3,588
simpleplan13

I took a quick look. I'm at work now so when I get home I'll look again and see if I can figure it out, but the thing is I'm not so great with stories... so this may have to wait until Frac comes back (her laptop is on the fritz).

-Cillian Crowley's review of The Wild One has 4 categories wit 2 sentences each.

-wisedec4u's review of The Wild One only has 3 categories I'm pretty sure.

I can see where you're trying to do here and I like the idea of you wanting us to get to know more about the Wild One and her suitor. I did make me curious as to why she hasn't spoken since she was eight and why this suitor is so interested in having her (plot?-2 sentences). With that said, I do see some room for majory improvement. First off, I was put off by how you introduced the Wild One and her suitor. It was too much telling and not enough showing. Try elaborator more with your details. I'm sure there is more you can tell us about the girl than the color of her hair and how wild it is. Also, I'm not clear on what you mean by his eyes where bolder than most. You can say something like "his piercing blue eyes captured her with a boldness made her breath catch (writing-7 sentences). Also the dialogue seemed a bit forced and stilted. Trying throwing in some actions with your characters words and a few dialogues tags every now and then won't hurt either. That way we can remember who's sayint what (dialogue-3 sentences). I hope this helps. Good luck!

-pokingbigfire's review completely confused me...

So this will have to wait for Frac.

I will PM Rosemary and tell her that she owes review to Cillian, but that she should wait to see if wisedec4u's review isn't valid then she won't owe them a review.

When Frac comes back, if pokingbigfire's review isn't valid they will have to be re-review.

2/7/2011 . Edited 2/7/2011 #3,589
simpleplan13

RM Question

Robert Shannon in all of their RM tags put to check out their profile for the RM, but they did not mention the link. What should I do? They are not up for winning so should I use the same rules as if they hadn't done the tag which is 1/2 point?

2/7/2011 #3,590
Fractured Illusion

until Frac comes back (her laptop is on the fritz).

But it has been beautifully fixed now :D

@ Stories--Depth

I am much confused. The review pokingfire gave was for Various (which was completely non-legit btw as it was Sir's turn undoubtedly). So pokingfire gave ONE review (in Various) but wanted 2 reviews in 2 different topics :/ I dunno I just think that's dirty playing. It's def not how we do it.

He posted first in Various and THEN in Stories Depth. To me, that just does not compute especially as he only gave one review. Holy shit this person keeps confusing me O_o

So the way I see it, even if the pokingfire's review is legit in terms of the rev.req, it can't count since, you know... you can't ask for 2 reviews when you only give 1. That is not fair playing. I'm going to take a look at the reviews now.

Edit: I would also like to point out that pokinfire asked for the review in Depth BEFORE Potter said it wasn't legit in Various.

2/7/2011 . Edited 2/7/2011 #3,591
Fractured Illusion

wisedec4u's review

I can see where you're trying to do here and I like the idea of you wanting us to get to know more about the Wild One and her suitor. I did make me curious as to why she hasn't spoken since she was eight and why this suitor is so interested in having her. Plot (?) - 2 sentences

With that said, I do see some room for majory improvement. First off, I was put off by how you introduced the Wild One and her suitor. It was too much telling and not enough showing. Try elaborator more with your details. I'm sure there is more you can tell us about the girl than the color of her hair and how wild it is. Also, I'm not clear on what you mean by his eyes where bolder than most. You can say something like "his piercing blue eyes captured her with a boldness made her breath catch. Writing - 2 senteces filled

Also the dialogue seemed a bit forced and stilted. Trying throwing in some actions with your characters words and a few dialogues tags every now and then won't hurt either. That way we can remember who's sayint what. Dialogue - 2 sentences filled

I hope this helps. Good luck!

-

Yeah okay I agree with Mini, one category is missing. I don't think wisedec is a newbie though? So they dont' get to PM the rest I mean?

I will PM Rosemary and tell her that she owes review to Cillian, but that she should wait to see if wisedec4u's review isn't valid then she won't owe them a review.

Okay good! :) Hopefully they haven't reviewed wise yet!

I am gonna check on pokingfire's review now in case you guys disagree with my previous post on the issue.

2/7/2011 #3,592
Fractured Illusion

pokingfire's review

I almost get the sense these are two characters from a painting brought to life in your story, or rather you have composed your imagery like a painting, one that comes to life and lets its subjects tell their story. ???

I googled Joseph and Mercy and I couldn't find anything- filler

There very little color except for the bright red of her dress, then the later suggestions in the flowers. ??? just pointing out things that are doesn't count. In my head there are a lot of graphic pencil lines and then this bright flowing red of the dress. filler

To me, this is a story about the nature of an artistic soul. One that sees so much beauty and all the patterns and order, that artists perceive, and wants to communicate it through her work and here she is faced with a suitor proposing marriage. Something we imagine which would take her gift away from her and crush it . I feel it's set in a time when it wasn't accepted that women could be artists. filler. pokingfire is just telling about the "facts" they percieve without any real judgment :/

You story is really a very good expression of the dichotomy between independent aspects of womens nature and the demands of marriage, amplified though this "Wild One's" artistic perceptions. Furthermore, setting it in the time period you have you have highlighted a conflict t, I guess ,many women experience today in a different way. Writing - 2 sentences

So as far as I can can determine it's a kind of universal tale perhaps set in a composite of places and times , rather like a reworking of a PreRaphelite painting into a contemporary image, and it works for that. filler? it's a universal tale? so? I dont understand

What I liked : The insight into the conflict. ??? Writing? Relationship? I dunno what sort of conflict. 1 sentence either way

What I didn't like: and it's no where near as strong dislike as the "like", is the ambiguous ending. ending 1 sentence

"Joseph and what your name? My dear"

"Mercy."

Cold mercy is very poetic though, particularly with the weight of the story behind it, but I got the sense I would have liked to have known and understood more, if you didn't intend the chosen ending to be the answer of in itself .

Maybe I'd just like to have read more if it had been longer. ending 2 sentences+ - ending is filled

-

Writing and Ending are the only filled categories I see.

At the very least, I don't want to allow pokingfire into any Depth review game until they have proven capable of handling Easy Fix. Should they disobey such an order, they will be temporarily banned, for, say... 1 month? (this is because pokingfire is not really a regular, so banning for a week wouldn't really be a punishment felt)

I am gonna ask them to come here and look at their review and tell us exactly where the depth cateogries are.

Should it not count they need to re-review, which is very problematic since the person in question only had one chapter :/

-

edit: PMed

2/7/2011 . Edited 2/7/2011 #3,593
Fractured Illusion

RM Question

Robert Shannon in all of their RM tags put to check out their profile for the RM, but they did not mention the link. What should I do? They are not up for winning so should I use the same rules as if they hadn't done the tag which is 1/2 point?

Hmm I don't think it's the same as ditching the tag entirely, so maybe 1/4 of the points? But if they are not up for winning + it was their first time, maybe there doesn't need to be any detractions?

2/7/2011 #3,594
simpleplan13

@ RM

I think no points and I'll just make a note about it for the future since they are a newbie to the RM and they did mention everything else.

@ Reviews

wisedec is not a newbie so I vote they don't PM and Rosemary doesn't owe them a Rule 10 review.

I also agree that pokingfire shouldn't be allowed to use a review posted in another thread (even if it was illegit). Since Rosemary does only have the one story I would just say they have to re-review it. I also agree with a ban on depth, but I would say ban until they have done x (5? 10?) correct EF posts rather than a time period because that doesn't mean they'll prove that they know how to use the EF thread.

2/8/2011 #3,595
pokinbigfire

How is it you don't understand visual art as expressed in literature?- It would help me before responding to your post to be able tounderstand

Try this as a simple question to test .

so much depends upon a red wheel barrow glazed with rain water beside the white chickens. What color can you see- now don't say you can't because this is a very famous piece of poetry and has been the subject of quite a few paintings and debates about its visual nature- it has actually been classified as a late Imagist work- Imagists were both artists and poets and writers and the movement contained guy's like our superb DHL And your erm Ezra Pound. Q What is the dominant colour in the poem? A White (Chicken) B Red (Wheel Barrow) Q2 What other colors are there in the poem? A None B 253

Let's take this further : A Japanese Manga illustrator is asked to illustrate Rosemary's work. What colours would she/he choose to fill in the graphic lines her work suggests?- If they are not visualized as graphic outlines then how are they be visualized- please be specific. Color texture pattern form etc.

A Red

B Blue

C Green

OK are we with it so far.?Let's move on -

The period of time in which Rosemarys story is set gave rise to both art and interconnected literature- what you see as romantic covers on books is actually the end product of a collabrative movement between artists and writers where the writers described something and artists painted it in turn painters inspired writing, and there was a common language.The real thing never looked like the romantic imagery you guy's get of the Uk- That was all fabricated for your consumption starting after WW2.

- The Wild One is an artist and a painter, comes froma family of artists which is most likely been around late 18th-19cenetury - read the story.

Somewhere in RL there are a whole set of mid Victorian images that deal with the moment in which a woman has to choose between marriage and following her creative instincts as an individual , I can't remember the painter but if you want to spend an evening beginning with painter and writer William Morris and ending with the writer CC Williams then be my guest.

Beta Beatrix by DG Rosetti is probably something like- There is a sketch , as well as a colored in one of BB, so this may help you. Fun thing you could do, is download the Beta B. sketch and color in her dress, partly in bright red.

2/9/2011 #3,596
Fractured Illusion

@pokingfire

Alright. I am getting a feeling you are deliberately not listening to us (the mods or regulars) nor are you considering the rules. Maybe you just want to cause a nuisance or be a troll or something. If not, please prove me otherwise and read this post:

I just skimmed your post but I did not see any reference to the Depth categories (which is what I wanted you to answer). I told you very clearly to explain without padding. I PMed that copy to Mini even. She knows this too. Not answering our questions = not impressive.

In case you missed it: You are not allowed in any of the Depth review games of any kind (or WCC, where you are required to give a depth review if you don't win).

Now. I think it is fair to add this - you are not allowed to play in the EF threads either until you have proven to Mini and me that you understand it. But this depends on what simpleplan13 thinks so we will wait for her.

If you don't find the rules of the RG to suit you, there are other forums out there. It's disrespectful to continue to evade the rules and mod orders. If you still want to be part of RG but not be concerned with so many rules, please go to our unpinned threads (the ones who are not dealing with reviews).

And:

QUESTIONS I WANT ANSWERED FROM YOU, POKINGFIRE:

(Be short and precise. I have little patience as I already told you before.)

What is your above post? What are you trying to accomplish?

What are the depth categories in the review we are talking about?

Were you even thinking about our depth categories when you made the review?

Do you know what our review requirements are?

Do you know where you can find the review requirements?

What were you thinking, giving 1 review and asking for a review in 2 different threads, for that one review?

Why did you decide to play the RG without coming to PQ first? In no way did I think we were done. You said you would come back later.

-

This is an example of how I want you to answer my questions:

(COPYPOASTE A QUESTION AT A TIME, IE) What is your above post? What are you trying to accomplish?

YOUR ANSWER (SHORT AND PRECISE)

repeat procedure

2/9/2011 #3,597
notveryalice

Ugh, my god, pokinbigfire, just please try to stop being grandiose and pompous for like ONE SECOND; nobody wants to decipher your word salad. It's just a P&Q thread.

Seriously, do you talk like this at the supermarket? If yes, seek counselling.

2/9/2011 . Edited 2/9/2011 #3,598
pokinbigfire

This isn't a supermarket mate. This is a literature based forum . If I'm at work ,I talk like I'm at work -If I'm here I'm talking to university educated people, right? Now if you can't understand what I'm saying in the daily language you choose to express yourself in and you are literature students or graduates then who's problem is that, mine or yours?

2/9/2011 #3,599
Fractured Illusion

I feel the need to clarify.

-If I'm here I'm talking to university educated people, right?

And you base this on...?

The lowest age for being a member on FictionPress (its forums included unless stated otherwise) is 13. The info is right there when you register on the site. You have to say you're at least 13 years old.

Now if you can't understand what I'm saying in the daily language you choose to express yourself in and you are literature students or graduates then who's problem is that, mine or yours?

You need to follow the mods' orders + the rules of the forum first and foremost in this forum. Then you can ramble all you want in your reviews.

2/9/2011 #3,600
« Prev Page 1 .. 110 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 130 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member