The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »
Nicki BluIs

Okay so is it wrong to send a reveiw reply asking for more/better feedback?

like i got a review saying my poem was creepy... would it be wron for my to send a reply saying "thank you so much for your review. If you dont mind me asing is something in particular that helped convey the creepines?"

essentially is it wrong to send a review reply asking for a why?

2/7/2009 #421
Lime-Cat

like i got a review saying my poem was creepy... would it be wron for my to send a reply saying "thank you so much for your review. If you dont mind me asing is something in particular that helped convey the creepines?"

essentially is it wrong to send a review reply asking for a why?

that's what review replies are for: to ask about stuff that was said in the review.

2/7/2009 #422
Carus

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking why, if the review is ambiguous or something. But asking for someone to review the rest of your story is what annoys me - if they've stopped at one, then there's probably a reason why.

(talking generally here)

2/7/2009 #423
Fractured Illusion

I think as long you make it well known you appreciate the comment, such a question isn't wrong.

If you however question everything in their review, yeah. So choose wisely XD

2/7/2009 #424
Nicki BluIs

thanks frac!

2/7/2009 #425
Mayo on toast

I agree with those already answered, me repeating them would just be redundant.

2/7/2009 #426
Nicki BluIs

oh lol i didnt realize! thanks everyone for answering!! and lime/Kenai for being first!

2/7/2009 #427
Fractured Illusion

Random:

It makes me feel to review people outside RG because I don't know if they want concrit, much less can handle it... So I always tone it down.

((Once you're in RG I have no mercy on you though...sucker XD))

2/11/2009 #428
Fractured Illusion

@Your Favorite Reviews

Well, spill! What was your favorite review overall, and what was your favorite review regarding concrit? For what reasons do you like them so much?

Or do you not have a fav review (yet)?

2/20/2009 . Edited 2/20/2009 #429
Nicki BluIs

*runs off to look through the reviews shes gotten*

off the top of my head I love getting a review for no reason lol. Becasue of RG I get alot of reviews that are either earned by playing the RGs, or Freebie or sometimes a prize. So I have a new appreciation for the reveiws I get simply becasue the person like the story. I know we bash them as useless, but sometimes (not always) the "This was really good; can't wait to read more" review is nice too.

Edit:

Found it. Okay, this will sound really bad especially to all the people who leave me FABULOUS concrit, but here goes. One of my best friends left me this review for TTYL: Meet Kym. It's not the type of reveiw I refer back to when I am editing, but it is still my fave.

Gosh, there was no romance or much drama but I think it's your most well written piece. Lots of visual and touch details.I really like how you describe her surroudings without making it obvious you are. and it flows. I really think you've gotten betterYeah. That part made my day. Not many people read enough of one author's work to comment on their improvement (or lack thereof) so it meant alot to me to have her say that. 2/20/2009 . Edited 2/20/2009 #430
Fractured Illusion

((Yeah I agree, those reviews can be a nice ego boost XD I can however imagine it being frustrating if those were the only reviews you got. I believe in balance though. Woot))

2/20/2009 #431
dragonflydreamer

@Favorite review -

Favorite review? Well, that's pretty hard because I love any review, but quickly looking through mine, i found thing one from inkspatters:

For the Review Marathon! Congrats on being a winner and I'm sorry it's taken me this long to review you, but I did have some great excuses. Won't bore you with them now, though. Well now, I'm going to be critical so when you go back and revise your NaNo novel in December you'll have some stuff to work with. First off, though, I'm going to tell you that I loved how you played on the senses in this piece. You started us off with sound, then moved on to smell and sight. It was wonderful, because it transported the reader to your setting at once -- and you accomplished all of this in your first paragraph. What can I say but that you have a great hook. "The eyes of some were filled with amusement, others with grief, and yet others with absolute nothingness." This felt a little bit lengthy and some of it was unnecessary and awkward, in my opinion. I think it could be changed to something along the lines of 'Some watched on with amusement, others with grief and yet others with absolute nothingness." I also don't like the use of 'absolute nothingness' and think you could change that to 'some were impassive', but you know, that's a personal thing. "Adorned by extravagant red robes". Again, this felt a little lengthy for me and the use of 'by' made everything feel a little passive. I think you could use something like 'Robed in red' instead, but that doesn't really suit the style of your writing. Hmm, I don't know what to do about that. Okay, and now for some more positive feedback. Imagery: Brilliant. Last line: WOW. I want to know more. I'm putting this on my alerts because I thought it was a truly good read. I know you're writing it for NaNo and that explains the lengthiness of some sentences -- I always write overly long sentences when I'm doing NaNo, so you're excused for that. Can't wait to see what happens next, and make sure you don't edit/look at any of this concrit till December, when you're done NaNo, otherwise you might get sidetracked! We wouldn't want that, now would we? Best of luck from a fellow NaNo-er and congrats on winning the RM again!

I don't have many stories, and therefore not many story reviews, so I doubt I'm the most experienced at picking this apart. But I like how she gave me views on both specific things and the story as a whole. It also provided both concrit and encouragement.

2/20/2009 #432
Chasing Skylines

Concerning Favorite Reviews

I agree that I get happy when I get reviews from outside of RG.

Karas' Review

That's currently my favorite. It's the longest I've gotten, which is why I like it. I think I had a few reviews from a person who read a story that I've now taken down that I liked; they actually talked about the story, not just technicalities. Even though when I review I am writing-oriented, I appreciate the ones that sound like they actually read and thought about it.

As for ones that were massive concrit... I haven't recieved one of those yet. There are only so many line-by-line reviewers. I can't review myself.

2/20/2009 . Edited 2/20/2009 #433
Miss Bob

OKay... all my reviews are like completey different... but my fav was one from Sesshy... about RGFF... he waffled on for over half a page, then ended it with:

There's all the faults. =)

Good job.

-Sesshy

I like reviews that make me laugh :P 2/20/2009 #434
Nicki BluIs

I can't review myself.

... actually you kinda can. lol i wouldnt suggest atually posting it but there no harm in revisting a piece that you've kinda ignored for a while tearing it up... you'd be surprised how much things you find to fix

2/20/2009 #435
Fractured Illusion

Fav ego stroking review:

Little Teenage Witchling for Splinters to Ponder:

I loved it! You are a wonderful author! Life-like characters that actually have a personality! I can't wait to see what else you come up with! Have you considered writing a novel and getting it published? Because I think it's a definate possibility for you!

Lawl. Ego stroking put to the max :3

I haven't decided which my fav concrit review is yet though.

2/20/2009 #436
Chasing Skylines

I like reviews that make me laugh :P

XD

... actually you kinda can. lol i wouldnt suggest atually posting it but there no harm in revisting a piece that you've kinda ignored for a while tearing it up... you'd be surprised how much things you find to fix

Yes, I know I can. I meant I 'wouldn't.' Yeah, that is a good idea, and I've tried it. Emphasis on tried. I usually give up and trash it. XD

2/20/2009 #437
Chasing Skylines

Lawl. Ego stroking put to the max :3

Haha, I can see why you'd like that. Do RGers get discounted (since we know you're not giving enough for it to be free) copies of your published novel? XD

2/20/2009 #438
Fractured Illusion

RGers must pay EXTRA for my stuffz, man. The things I have done for you all. I deserve more moniez from you.

2/20/2009 #439
Lime-Cat

RGers must pay EXTRA for my stuffz, man. The things I have done for you all. I deserve more moniez from you.

Limecat invokes BFF status! Can I get it autographed? ;)

2/20/2009 #440
Fractured Illusion

Of course.

Now do you have any fav review(s)?

2/21/2009 #441
Fractured Illusion

Does no one else seriously have no favorite review(s)? You heartless people!

2/27/2009 #442
Chasing Skylines

Favorite Review regarding concrit:

Just got it today.

2/27/2009 . Edited 2/27/2009 #443
Chasing Skylines

Since this concerns reviews, I think this is the appropriate place to ask...

Editing After Getting Concrit

Do you do it immediately after, or save it til a rewrite or when you're further along?

2/28/2009 . Edited 2/28/2009 #444
karma-dollie

@ Editing After Getting Concrit

I usually put it off, but that could be the lazy part of me. ;p

If it's mainly typos, I can fix it immediately, but if it's something bigger, like characterization or plot issues, and I need time to think about it and work with it, I'll wait for a rewrite. Either I'll pause the story (since I don't post til the story is completely done), or I'll see how it goes and let the story continue, but if enough others feel the same, I'll fix it.

2/28/2009 #445
Chasing Skylines

If it's mainly typos, I can fix it immediately

Yeah, I do that too.

but if it's something bigger, like characterization or plot issues, and I need time to think about it and work with it, I'll wait for a rewrite. Either I'll pause the story (since I don't post til the story is completely done), or I'll see how it goes and let the story continue, but if enough others feel the same, I'll fix it.

Makes sense. It's different for you since you've already written it before posting; probably easier to edit? XD

2/28/2009 . Edited 2/28/2009 #446
Fractured Illusion

I fix typos. I must. I feel useless if I don't. I can be a bit lazy with it, but I will (unless I forget of course XD).

Unless the story absolutely sucks, I won't change my plot. BUT just because I won't change it doesn't mean I won't take the criticism with me to my next pieces. Then again, I don't really have a multi-chap yet, where plot is a real issue... So this is a non-issue for me so far XD

It's just that plot is what you build your story on! It's hard to change :/ I would do the best with what I had in that case.

Otherwise, for all things in between: I will change if it doesn't take too much time re-writing. But like I said, if I don't edit, I will still take it with me and keep in mind for future pieces. It's not an either-or deal.

3/2/2009 #447

It's just that plot is what you build your story on! It's hard to change :/ I would do the best with what I had in that case.

So, if the problem was a contradiction in your plot, would you simply add in something that would somehow smooth out that contradiction or would you go back to edit what created the contradiction in the first place? I’ve always been curious about how authors actually rationalized or fixed a paradox in their universe.

EDIT: Question - Have you guys ever gotten reviewers who actually hassled you via PMs to edit your works, because they haven’t seen any improvements? Would that be creepy, exasperating or some combination of the two?

(I swore off stalking before I was tempted to so, uh, don’t worry?)

3/3/2009 . Edited 3/3/2009 #448
Fractured Illusion

So, if the problem was a contradiction in your plot, would you simply add in something that would somehow smooth out that contradiction or would you go back to edit what created the contradiction in the first place?

Pfft. I can't answer that. Every story is different, and they are written differently. I'd have to judge what would fit my story the best.

EDIT: Question - Have you guys ever gotten reviewers who actually hassled you via PMs to edit your works, because they haven’t seen any improvements? Would that be creepy, exasperating or some combination of the two?

No.

And I would only be annoyed if that happened. They give the concrit. Then its my job to do the best with it. Not theirs.

3/3/2009 #449
Chasing Skylines

No.

That would be exasperating, I have to say; sometimes, the writer may have just not figured out a solution yet, or doesn't have the time to look over it.

3/3/2009 #450
« Prev Page 1 .. 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member